Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2010, 03:57 PM   #91
Igilligan

The Tao of Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by icywarm Quote
We can all relax... Gary was active last night posting as per norm... might even have posted more than normal... like he didn't have some distraction weighing him down...

That is because I pumped two pints of beer in him....

I had a chance to meet up with Gary after work yesterday for a couple beers... Just wanted to check in to see how he was doing. It was a very good venting session, maybe more for me than for him. Gary is pretty good about talking me down off the ledge and once again he had too...

Just before leaving work to go meet him, I had read Adam's post to me saying that he could not believe what I was saying in the thread... And I read Peter's post to Gruoso seemingly challenging him to some kind of virtual street brawl and pitting reputations against each other. Peter after what I have seen you write in this thread, I believe you would be hard pressed to win the reputation battle right now at least in my eyes. We had three very good moderators quit within 24 hrs of each other..... And you are posting that Gary decided on his own to leave... We are not dumb.

I was so over it and so pissed, that I was going to chat with Gary, see how he was doing. Then go home and do some final post where I went off and and got myself permanently banned. Crash and Burn, Punk Rock style!

But Gary said something that stopped me in my tracks and almost brought a tear to my angry eye. He said, "Every time I get frustrated, I just try to remember that the forum has given me a lot more than I have given it"! -- This is coming from one of the most giving members on the forum. He said, "I have made some good friends, I have met some local shooting comrades, and I have gained a lot of knowledge from experienced forum members."

And it is so true... as frustrated as I am with the direction this forum seems to be heading, and how very different it feels today. I need to remember just how much I enjoyed it in the beginning, how much fun it was. And how much I have learned from all of the members here, how much their support and encouragement has meant to me. How many good people I have met. And of course how many $25 lenses they have sold me!

I truly have met some great people and I look forward to seeing some of you at future bay area meet ups...

I honestly want to thank Adam for creating the environment where all these things could happen.

It is a very different forum today and there's no home for me here. But thank you Damn Brit for reminding me why this place was so special and why it was worth fighting for.

So, instead of going out Punk Rock style.... I go out with a smile, a whimper and a wave 8^)
I will post a proper goodbye thread later... You know, the ones where someone says their leaving and a few say "we will miss you" and a lot more say "don't let the door hit you in the ass... F--- Off

I love those threads and I ain't gonna cheat myself out of one. Plus who knows... it could still get all punk rock!

Gary, you gotta love how I can take a thread all about you... and once again make it all about ME! haha -- Javi you are buyin' the beer next week.... again!

Last edited by Igilligan; 03-27-2010 at 04:16 PM.
03-27-2010, 06:22 PM   #92
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Javi you are buyin' the beer next week.... again!
Why my lord?! Why!!! Dont you know that I am a cheap shit-wiper who doesnt even donate a few tens to the forum?

Last edited by Not Registered; 03-27-2010 at 06:29 PM.
03-27-2010, 06:28 PM   #93
Not Registered

I just wish Peter would have left the post where I reply to his acusations instead of delete it but maybe that is the way he rolls. I think that it is better to let him look like Lancelot, and let Adam be the capital of Switzerland

I would post a final thead but that would make a lot of people happy. In a karmic world that would incline the amount of shit that Gary only whipped toward myself. And we all know that I am a selfish, arrogant guy who doesnt donate to the forum
03-27-2010, 06:49 PM   #94
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hehehe

PMSL

This is the most entertaining thread there's been around here for a while

<goes and gets popcorn, pulls up a chair>

03-27-2010, 09:33 PM   #95
Inactive Account

Do I recall someone saying something about a "pissing" contest?
03-27-2010, 11:02 PM   #96
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
So, instead of going out Punk Rock style.... I go out with a smile, a whimper and a wave 8^)
I will post a proper goodbye thread later... You know, the ones where someone says their leaving and a few say "we will miss you" and a lot more say "don't let the door hit you in the ass... F--- Off
I've left an auto forum the punk rocker style, and although it worked I swear that the entire moderation team was watching me so most posts got deleted within minutes. Plus any post made about me from other members also got deleted, and I understand they were given warnings.
So it just doesn't really work that well with forums.

However I've just slipped out the back door of a couple of related forums at the same time, and although I lost a few on-line friends along the way most people understood why I left.
I still meet up with the odd person from them, and although they wish that I'd start posting again they understand why I refuse to.
03-27-2010, 11:02 PM   #97
Veteran Member

My first 'little guy' shot posted to the forum, two years ago, and one of my latest, also featuring "baby guy":

Gus, both you & I have a surprisingly large part of our lives chronicled here, you gotta stick around, dude. (Also looking forward to seeing more Gary's newbie, now that he's freed up to play vs. work here.)

03-27-2010, 11:45 PM   #98
Veteran Member

Agreed. Sorry gus, but you can't leave.
03-28-2010, 03:37 AM   #99
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Agreed. Sorry gus, but you can't leave.
I hope you stick around Gus, I enjoy seeing what you get out of those russian lenses. (I need to get one or two) I don't have a clue what happened, probably because I block the P&R section. Nothing good comes from there methinks.
03-28-2010, 05:28 AM   #100
emr

I don't know all the aspects of these current affairs and they're really no business of mine. But having spent way too much time on different forums during the last decade, there are some symptoms and phenomena that I recognize.

Often when a new forum is started, there are some already seasoned veterans in the theme of the forum but most are newcomers and newbies. There's lots of enthusiasm and learning and the active group of members pretty soon becomes a community. The forum often grows relatively fast and after a while the original community begins to break or dissolve. Some members move on because their interest shifts to something else. Some end up in conflicts with admins or other members and leave. Some members begin to get tired of seeing the same topics and discussions again and again, even though they were just some years (or even months) ago similar enthusiastic newbs asking the same kind of questions. Some members feel the community just isn't there any more as some members have left and there are all the time so many new "faces". Then there's the aspect of forum administration and costs. As a forum grows bigger and bigger, its maintenance costs grow too - especially if the forum provides data storage of some sort. There will be talk of contributions and admins will try to figure out different ways to finance the system. Some might even see a business opportunity (not saying that's what happens here). On one forum where I was for years, the owner was clearly trying to make a business for himself with advertisement etc. while at the same time asking for contributions from members. When some members started to demand some sort of democracy, they were very soon reminded that the forum belongs to just the one person. However, when contributions were wanted there was a completely different tone.

Well, these were just random observations by a seasoned anonymous forum junkie. Forums tend to have their walk of life and different stages.
03-28-2010, 06:14 AM   #101
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
What if a member contributes economically to the community, is unfriendly toward others and ruin the atmosphere for others? Hmmm I wonder....
Just come out and say it.....
03-28-2010, 06:21 PM   #102
Veteran Member

I never knew that there are moderators in this forum, except when they give you warnings regarding misplaced thread topics and hijacking.

anyway, I knew Gary is a good and often tolerant mod. and appreciate that he allows some arguments and discussions on the forum which makes the communication a two-way street. not to mention trolling.

don't get me wrong, I like this forum because there isn't too much restrictions and I could see that there is no need to since most, if not all of the fellow members are helpful and are more open-minded about certain matters.

as far as Gary moderating days are concerned, well I think someone has to take-over the "moving the thread" chores from now on.
03-28-2010, 07:26 PM   #103
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
What if a member contributes economically to the community, is unfriendly toward others and ruin the atmosphere for others? Hmmm I wonder....
Good point, I am still here.
03-29-2010, 12:35 PM   #104
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hmm, looks like I've been missing out on a lot of stuff. Perhaps because I don't have time to spend on the politics sub-forum (usually forum disputes originate from those). Someone talked about web forums having a certain life cycle and someone else brought up how tiresome it can be to be a mod. Affirmative. My experience comes mainly from years of moderating some pretty troublesome IRC-channels but they seem to be similar in this respect. There's less people but it's real-time. Anyways, I haven't felt that there's a problem with moderating here, for what it's worth. This place is like heaven to me, compared to the hell-hole that is the dpr forum.
03-29-2010, 12:51 PM   #105
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Boucicaut Quote
Hmm, looks like I've been missing out on a lot of stuff. Perhaps because I don't have time to spend on the politics sub-forum (usually forum disputes originate from those). Someone talked about web forums having a certain life cycle and someone else brought up how tiresome it can be to be a mod. Affirmative. My experience comes mainly from years of moderating some pretty troublesome IRC-channels but they seem to be similar in this respect. There's less people but it's real-time. Anyways, I haven't felt that there's a problem with moderating here, for what it's worth. This place is like heaven to me, compared to the hell-hole that is the dpr forum.
This is a great forum. And with the political forum that crap tends to stay there now. It's a good stress reliever. All the moderators do a bang up job here and it can't be easy.