Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
03-25-2010, 08:32 PM   #1
Not Registered

Why has Damn Brit been removed from his status as a moderator?

I just wanted to share that piece of news with other members of the forum who appreciate the work that Gary was doing for this forum. It has come to my ears the reward for caring about keeping this forum organized and tidy is to be kicked out in a ....let us say not too elegant way.

I wanted to ask to the members of this forum who appreciate Gary's work to contribute in this thread and to send PMs to Adam encouraging him to reconsider his policy regarding the management on this site.

Please, keep the thread on a civilized tone. Let us not give excuses to the administration to close this thread.

Good night and good luck (glasses off)

03-25-2010, 09:12 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First off, I'd like to publicly express my gratitude for Gary's help over the past two years as a moderator. He's was an invaluable help with both moderation and photo contest configuration during that time.

However, there are times when things change and some must move on. Gary left us out of his own volition, and will continue being an active posting member of the forum in the future.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-25-2010, 09:20 PM   #3
Not Registered

I wonder why such a satisfactory collaboration and gratitude can end up in an unidirectional invitation to leave. Disagreements are first and consequences follow. I just wonder about the nature of the disagreements. Nothing like explaining the chain of events to let the people form their opinions instead that the typical "spokeperson" reply. If there is nothing to hide then let us not hide anything.
03-25-2010, 09:29 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
I wonder why such a satisfactory collaboration and gratitude can end up in an unidirectional invitation to leave. Disagreements are first and consequences follow. I just wonder about the nature of the disagreements. Nothing like explaining the chain of events to let the people form their opinions instead that the typical "spokeperson" reply. If there is nothing to hide then let us not hide anything.
In terms of the big picture, I wonder too...however, the specifics are private and will not be shared here.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-25-2010, 09:32 PM   #5
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
In terms of the big picture, I wonder too...however, the specifics are private and will not be shared here.
Which can only mean one thing.... isnt it?
03-25-2010, 09:37 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The matter has been so burdensome lately that we're putting it all behind us. So I don't know.

Adam

03-25-2010, 10:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for putting in all the time and effort Gary, this place won't be the same without you as a mod.

03-25-2010, 10:25 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Thanks for putting in all the time and effort Gary, this place won't be the same without you as a mod.
Wholeheartedly agree with that sentiment. The place won't be the same without him as a moderator. I foresee chaos and confusion, perhaps random acts of violence. He really did keep us all in line.

I bet he had good reasons for quitting, probably a major quibble of some sort. But have any other moderators quit over this quibble? (that's a lot of words that start with "qui")
03-25-2010, 10:51 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
Which can only mean one thing.... isnt it?
Why don't you send Damn Brit a private message and ask him directly, rather than ask Adam to spell it out in public?
03-25-2010, 11:19 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I am also sad and surprised to see Gary no longer being a mod. His (moderation) contribution to the forum was very valuable and publicly visible - and much appreciated. Hope things are OK there.

cheers,
03-25-2010, 11:28 PM   #11
Site Supporter

I for one will PM him just to thank him. He was my go-to mod, maybe just because he was active late at night when I am. Having just been the object of heavy handed administration myself this week for the first time I can understand why two years was enough. Thanks Gary!
03-25-2010, 11:46 PM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
He was my go-to mod
Yep same here. Sorry to hear about this.

Cheers Gary.
03-26-2010, 12:34 AM   #13
Igilligan

It is a Damn shame

Having met up with Damn Brit on many photo shoots in the bay area, we have become friends, so I can honestly say I am surprised. Even with a new baby, and being a full time photography student, he has been devoted to this forum. He did not spend anytime wankin' off over in DPR or Pentax World, as many of us do. This is where he wants to spend his time. This is home.

And since becoming a moderator, he has always seemed to be attempting to make it better and to keep 'it' and us on track. In my two + years on this forum has really grown in size and scope, with more and more forums and sub-forums. And Gary has been one of the most visibly active moderators, always keeping postings in the proper places. And as this forum continues to grow we need that hands on direction or this could get confusing fast. If Gary really is gone, hopefully some of the other mods will step up their games to fill those duties. I do hope this is an isolated incident and that we don't loose other active moderators who 'choose to leave of their own volition.'

I want to thank Gary for all the effort he has put into the forum, in the last 6 months the photo critique section has become my favorite 'sub' section and the first place I go when I get here, and his critiques are a huge part of it being so helpful. His work in the monthly photo contest and his Bay Area User group support for our meet-ups is also much appreciated.

I hope that what ever went on behind the scenes does not dampen his participation on the forum. I hope he remains very active as I find his honesty both brutal and refreshing and I would have it no other way. To loose that voice on the forum would be a Damn shame.
As a moderator his are big shoes to fill, and I do question why they are empty.

Last edited by Igilligan; 03-26-2010 at 12:59 AM.
03-26-2010, 06:46 AM   #14
graphicgr8s

Maybe he just needs a break. With the baby and school and all it must be strenuous. Remember he's not a young man any more. And those kids take a LOT of time. Especially at his advanced age.

Hi Gary!!!

You all just need me as a moderator.
03-26-2010, 07:14 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote

You all just need me as a moderator.
Now that could be interesting. For some reason I think that you'd make a good moderator George.

I vote for graphicgr8s