Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2010, 04:55 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Questionable move by PentaxForums

Who else got this email from the PF Webmaster yesterday?:

"Today we are happy to announce the launch of a new forum to complement PentaxForums: CanikonForums.com - Canon and Nikon Forum. (etc)..."

At first I thought it might be an April Fool's Day prank, but then I checked my calendar, and it was only March 26th.

I think this may be the beginning of the end of PentaxForums.

What do you think?

Chris

03-26-2010, 05:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well thats a forum for nikon and canon.
As long as people still shoot pentax, this forum will stay strong
03-26-2010, 05:23 PM   #3

There are enough people on here who shoot Nikon or Canon that a separate forum is a decent idea. The fact that it's a friendly forum and easy to use will attract Canikon users who aren't members of PF, so it's not a bad idea at all.
03-26-2010, 06:43 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Who else got this email from the PF Webmaster yesterday?:

"Today we are happy to announce the launch of a new forum to complement PentaxForums: CanikonForums.com - Canon and Nikon Forum. (etc)..."

At first I thought it might be an April Fool's Day prank, but then I checked my calendar, and it was only March 26th.

I think this may be the beginning of the end of PentaxForums.

What do you think?

Chris
I don't think so. There are people that talk about those in the offbrand forum. The majority of the new site will eventually be made of CaNikon users. One of my film macro rigs is Canon platform. That said, I'm not switching over anytime soon, and never 100%.

03-26-2010, 06:48 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Why would you think that a new site that covers everything that this one does not would be hurtful to us? Maybe to the off-brand section, but that's about it! This forum will continue to remain at the top of my list as far as priorities go.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-26-2010, 06:51 PM   #6
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
This forum will continue to remain at the top of my list as far as priorities go.
Right next to the research for a good poo cleaner that eliminates any trace of shit and not only wipe it.
03-26-2010, 10:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Although I don't own a Canon or a Nikon, and never have I do shoot both systems from time to time.
So I did sign up.

I don't think that I'll spend much time over there, however it's nice to know that the resource is out there if I need some info.

03-27-2010, 03:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

FWIW, I don't like the new forum.

Looks like a cool idea at first sight. But I fear it really isn't.

No Canon or Nikon would participate in a Canikon forum (would we participate in a PenOly forum -- I mean with such agreat forum like pentaxforums.com already existing?). Esp. as Canikon is a term used by people not liking Canon or Nikon too much.

So, this new forum is one against something, not for something.

A brand-independend forum would be names like luminous landscape, dpreview etc., not canikon.

So, this must be the worst new forum launch of the year. Sorry to say so.

Adam, please focus on a thing you do very well (pentaxforums.com) or create a new forum with a positive interest.
03-27-2010, 05:29 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
FWIW, I don't like the new forum.

Looks like a cool idea at first sight. But I fear it really isn't.

No Canon or Nikon would participate in a Canikon forum (would we participate in a PenOly forum -- I mean with such agreat forum like pentaxforums.com already existing?). Esp. as Canikon is a term used by people not liking Canon or Nikon too much.

So, this new forum is one against something, not for something.
I was wondering about this as well, but setting up one new forum is already a huge undertaking, setting up two?

I gave it some more thought and Canikon should be OK. We have been using it within the Pentax forum as a label for "the other guys". Usually it has been used within a comparison between Pentax cameras and their users and Canon/Nikon. Within the context of a Pentax forum, most of those statements are going to be pro Pentax. When I have used the term, it hasn't been used in a derogatory sense.

Perhaps I am wrong, but I don't believe that Canikon would be used in the same context outside of a pro-Pentax setting. We also have quite a bit of Canon / Nikon traffic within the forum now. I would prefer to see Pentax content on this site and have somewhere else to see the Canon / Nikon content.

There is also another reason I think the new site will do well. I have a DPR account but rarely use it. IMO, the base that DPR uses to drive forum content seems very "1980s". I don't enjoy the flow and I think there are a number of people out there that would move from DRP if there was an alternative.
03-27-2010, 07:25 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Well, first, it's a free country so a person can start just about any forum he or she likes. For that, bravo!

As for the term CaNikon, I guess it's okay. I shoot both Pentax and Nikon gear plus I have an old Stylus Epic and several Kodak collectibles so I'd be more interested PeNikOlyDak but that's me.

The one question though is how many Nikon users such as I will be interested in reading about Canon gear. The routine switchers that make the gear world turn may be interested but the rest of us probably won't. Will the Ca-Nikon forum offer information that is more adroit and compelling than Nikon Cafe or will it consist of light tan vs. charcoal as best color for lenses discussions? It's a tough hill to climb.
03-27-2010, 08:03 AM   #11
Site Supporter

How many Canon or Nikon specific forums are there out there that doesn't charge a membership fee?
03-27-2010, 10:09 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by B Grace Quote
Well, first, it's a free country so a person can start just about any forum he or she likes. For that, bravo!
In order not to be misunderstood ...

I have no problem with Adam launching his new forum and I wish him good luck.

It's a free country indeed and so I only took the liberty to express my initial emotional feeling.

However, my initial reaction may not have been adequate (still, initial reactions do matter).

E.g., I notice that there already is a similiar forum in my country:

canikon - canikon Redaktion
03-27-2010, 12:38 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I don't get all the resistance to the idea. Why can't Adam try to recreate the success he had here somewhere else? What right do we have to question his other projects?

After all that he's done here, he deserves a "Good Luck" much more than a "Why?"
03-27-2010, 02:48 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
How many Canon or Nikon specific forums are there out there that doesn't charge a membership fee?
FM and POTN for one... FM charges if you want to post in buy/sell but it's like $10/year and well worth it. The rest of the forum is free.
03-28-2010, 07:24 AM   #15
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I can't think that it could hurt Pentaxforums. The members here that use multiple systems will participate on the other forums. It is likely that there are poor misguided souls out there that use Canon or Nikon as their primary system that also have Pentax. Those folks may be unaware of our form and the crossover from here may draw new members that we would not have otherwise gained.