Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2007, 01:01 AM   #1

A tad late for July 4th celebrations but here is .....

a Hot Dog and Fireworks .....http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v121/JSimpson/?action=view&current=4f173901.flv

Jack

07-13-2007, 02:46 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
This is really funny Jack. A little dangerous but funny. I think that little hot dog had the right idea to party.
07-13-2007, 04:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

That's really hilarious. Watching the people in the background run is even funnier. The male voice over is funny as well.

The first guy in the video is darn lucky - missed his head by only about a foot. The one right after that probably didn't miss him by much either.

stewart
07-13-2007, 06:39 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Photo Tramp Quote
This is really funny Jack. A little dangerous but funny. I think that little hot dog had the right idea to party.
Hi David,

Glad you got a giggle out of it and, yep, a tad dangerous....and just imagine if the dog
knew what he was doing

Cheers,

Jack

07-13-2007, 06:46 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
That's really hilarious. Watching the people in the background run is even funnier. The male voice over is funny as well.

The first guy in the video is darn lucky - missed his head by only about a foot. The one right after that probably didn't miss him by much either.

stewart
Morning Stewart,

Glad you enjoyed it and you are correct about the dog.....he is a bit of a loose cannon

I notice you are from Heidelberg....a great (little-ish) city I visited a few times..."many,many,many,many" years ago....with "many,many,many" being Way Back in the mid-70's to early 80's I climbed up to the castle, had a few beers in the Rote Oschen(sp?) and stayed in the YH beside the Zoo

Cheers,

Jack
07-14-2007, 04:19 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jack_Simpson Quote
I notice you are from Heidelberg....a great (little-ish) city I visited a few times..."many,many,many,many" years ago....with "many,many,many" being Way Back in the mid-70's to early 80's I climbed up to the castle, had a few beers in the Rote Oschen(sp?) and stayed in the YH beside the Zoo

Heidelberg has changed quite a bit since the early 80's, Jack. While much of the downtown area has remained the same, portions of the castle have been further restored, there is a new section of town featuring ultra modern glass buildings, and the overall town itself has expanded in all directions. However, Heidelberg remains one of the most attractive locations in Germany, mainly due to it's unique combination of the castle, the Hauptstrasse (pedestrian shopping street), the Neckar river, the classic bridges, buildings and churches, the surrounding Odenwald (hills), the University with it's many students, the relaxed atmosphere, and more. There is very much to see and photograph.

Tonight was the "lighting of the castle," an event started in 1613 when Prince Frederic V welcomed the English Princess Elizabeth Stuart, his new bride, to Heidleberg. That event featured fireworks and the castle illuminated with bright colors. That later evolved into the modern event with the castle walls illuminated with blood red floodlights to simulate fires, and a fireworks show, as a reminder of the 1693 French invasion which destroyed the castle and much of the city. The all-day event features an open market earlier in the day and celebrations downtown and along the river bank well into the evening.

The US Army sponsored my first 2 year vacation to Germany in the early 70's. We (my wife and I) returned to Germany in the late 70's, staying in Heidelberg for nine years. We returned once again two years ago and intend to stay at least another three.

stewart

Last edited by stewart_photo; 07-14-2007 at 04:25 PM. Reason: spelling and minor editing
07-18-2007, 07:29 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
Heidelberg has changed quite a bit since the early 80's, Jack. While much of the downtown area has remained the same, portions of the castle have been further restored, there is a new section of town featuring ultra modern glass buildings, and the overall town itself has expanded in all directions. However, Heidelberg remains one of the most attractive locations in Germany, mainly due to it's unique combination of the castle, the Hauptstrasse (pedestrian shopping street), the Neckar river, the classic bridges, buildings and churches, the surrounding Odenwald (hills), the University with it's many students, the relaxed atmosphere, and more. There is very much to see and photograph.

Tonight was the "lighting of the castle," an event started in 1613 when Prince Frederic V welcomed the English Princess Elizabeth Stuart, his new bride, to Heidleberg. That event featured fireworks and the castle illuminated with bright colors. That later evolved into the modern event with the castle walls illuminated with blood red floodlights to simulate fires, and a fireworks show, as a reminder of the 1693 French invasion which destroyed the castle and much of the city. The all-day event features an open market earlier in the day and celebrations downtown and along the river bank well into the evening.

The US Army sponsored my first 2 year vacation to Germany in the early 70's. We (my wife and I) returned to Germany in the late 70's, staying in Heidelberg for nine years. We returned once again two years ago and intend to stay at least another three.

stewart
Morning Stewart,

I remember Heidelberg as being a neat place to walk around -- I just wish I had been
into photography way, way, way, etc...., back then. Out of curiousity, is there still a Zoo in Heidelberg (?) because, truth be told, that was first(1st) memory of Heidelberg. I was staying at the Youth Hostel and was dreaming of "elephants roaring amongst other sounds" and woke up to the same sounds....because the YH was beside (or near) the zoo Also, I went to a concert (Peter Frampton and Gary Wright) in October 76 at Ludwigshafen after which an American soldier and myself were vying for the attention of young German girl and it got so late that (upon returning to the young lady's place) the soldier had to get to the base so he paid for
the cab to her place and he continued on to the army base I, also, remember going to a great little jazz club in Heidelberg which, if memory serves, might have been located on the "walking street" you were speaking of

Cheers,

Jack

07-21-2007, 05:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Sorry it took so long to respond, Jack. Things have been a little hectic lately, so I've been bouncing on and off the forum whenever there are a few free minutes. In the process, I completely overlooked your message (which is really a shame since I love talking about this).

Anyway, the zoo is indeed still here. It has expanded and modernized some, but mostly still the same. That part of town has changed dramatically though. There are now a lot of taller up-scale apartment buildings in that area, meaning the youth hostel has likely moved elsewhere. Many of the workers from that new section of town I mentioned, directly across the river with the glass buildings, are living in those new apartment buildings. Concerts, featuring newer and older performers, are still commonplace as well.

There are still many places to walk around Heidelberg. I've already mentioned the pedestrian shopping street. The park beside the river is still here as well, as are the walking paths going for several miles in either direction of the river. The same with the Philosophenweg (Philosopher's Path), the walking trail on the hill directly across the river from the castle. There are also a couple of new parks on the downtown side of the river. There is also a huge new (lighted at night) water fountain in the middle of the traffic circle leading to Bismarckplatz (entrance to the Hauptstrasse), with strolling paths through the new flower beds planted there.

I don't walk around town as much as I used to. Always in too much of a hurry. Instead, I'm more likely to be seen zipping around on my Peugeot Satelis 125 scooter today. It's much faster than walking, easier than a car to maneuver through city traffic, can carry a lot of camera gear (has a large car-like trunk), and ideal for getting to those out-of-the-way places.

You mentioned the Army. The Heidelberg-area military facilities are tentatively slated to close in 2010-11, with the commands here (and supporting infrastructure) moving to various locations elsewhere in Germany. The Mannheim area facilities are also slated to close shortly thereafter. Both of these shutdowns are part of an overall downsizing of military forces in Europe. More than 30 military bases, large and small, have already closed, with an additional 20 or so closing within the next two to three years. The ultimate goal is only five military communities remaining (clusters of facilities in areas around five towns), with everything else either relocated to one of these communities, deployed elsewhere in the world, or simply dissolved entirely.

stewart
07-23-2007, 10:07 PM   #9

Original Poster
stewart

Morning Stewart,

No worries about the reply time and thanks for the update on Heidelberg and it sounds like most cities which are upscaling and getting more modernised but I hope H'berg is still keeping a lot of older historical buildings I think I heard about the army downsizing and, speaking of the army, have you seen a movie (set in Germany) about the US Army called Buffalo Soldier's? It is a really good movie and think you might find it enjoyable

I think you definitely have the right idea, transportation wise, with your scooter and when I was last in Paris I saw a number of photog's zipping around on scooter's

Cheers and thanks again for update and bringing back great memories

Jack Simpson
07-23-2007, 10:58 PM   #10

Photos: Gallery
Actually it's not a little silly dog and it'not a simple family party. The truth is that it is an Al-Qaeda's depot, where new soldiers come from.
07-24-2007, 04:01 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Hah! I didn't miss your message this time, Jack. No, I haven't seen Buffalo Soldiers (2003, Miramax Films). And probably would never have seen it based on the name alone, thinking it was about black soldiers years ago instead of the more interesting satirical work it appears to be. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll keep my eyes out for this movie the next time I visit a video store.

I love my scooter - the best photo accessory I own. Of course, probably the best part is surprising everyone with it's performance. It has a water-cooled, supercharged, 125cc four-stroke engine capable of cruising with rider and passenger at speeds slightly exceeding 115 kph (70 mph). Gas mileage is great too. In the city, the best feature is being able to park virtually anywhere (sidewalks, etc) rather than endlessly searching for a parking space.

Well, we've moved from describing Heidelberg in a manner which might interest other photographers into a more personal discussion. Anything further like this should probably be continued in private messages. However, since I've pretty much run out of things to say, perhaps this is a good time to end it all. Take care, Jack. See you around the forum.

stewart
08-03-2007, 12:13 AM   #12

Original Poster
stewart

Morning Stewart,

it's my turn to apologise for the tardiness in replying and your scooter sounds like an ideal MOT and for all the right reasons I think you will enjoy the Buffalo Soldier's and I would be curious as to your take on the movie.

Cheers and, once again, thanks for helping me relive some fantastic memories of a great city

Jack