Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2010, 11:00 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Chinese and quality don't belong in the same country let alone the same sentence.

I do my dead level best NOT to buy chinese when I can find the product made anywhere else.

And I feel the same way about the folks that come here for a better life. Most of these people work their buts off to succeed. So long as they are here legally I don't care.
The tea is excellent and found no where else, but that would be yet another thread.

04-01-2010, 11:02 AM   #32
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
The tea is excellent and found no where else, but that would be yet another thread.
Coffee man myself. Tea is for the Brits. Men drink coffee.

How come I didn't get the cool new moniker? I feel slighted now.
04-01-2010, 11:05 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Coffee man myself. Tea is for the Brits. Men drink coffee.
Some of us drink both. (Don't really drink much British-style tea, though)

I really don't know where my moniker came from.
04-01-2010, 11:09 AM   #34
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Some of us drink both. (Don't really drink much British-style tea, though)

I really don't know where my moniker came from.
Look at the date. Look at the date.

I was really going to say tea is for girls, but I refrained. I thought it though I didn't say it out loud.

04-01-2010, 11:21 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Lapsang souchong tea is one of China's great gifts to the world, IMO.
04-01-2010, 12:16 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Lapsang souchong tea is one of China's great gifts to the world, IMO.
As are Lung Ching, Pu-erh, Wu Yi oolongs, Tung Ting and Baozhong (the latter from Taiwan). Actually, tea in general is China's gift to the world. The variety is astounding.
04-01-2010, 12:28 PM   #37
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Look at the date. Look at the date.

I was really going to say tea is for girls, but I refrained. I thought it though I didn't say it out loud.

Black coffee, very strong, no additives. I do love iced tea in the Summer....drink about a gallon a day. Black tea is the best. We had a Tea drinking expert here, that Wheatboy, but he took his ball and went home....just a bunch of old "meanies" here is what I heard. I don't know...I've never been mean to you have I George?
Best Regards!

04-01-2010, 12:36 PM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Black coffee, very strong, no additives. I do love iced tea in the Summer....drink about a gallon a day. Black tea is the best. We had a Tea drinking expert here, that Wheatboy, but he took his ball and went home....just a bunch of old "meanies" here is what I heard. I don't know...I've never been mean to you have I George?
Best Regards!
Yes,
Black coffee, strong and not poluted with cream or sugar in the morning. Iced tea the rest of the day, until beer thirty. Poor Wheaty, gone but not gorgotten.
A
04-01-2010, 01:34 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Artesian Quote
Yes,
Black coffee, strong and not poluted with cream or sugar in the morning. Iced tea the rest of the day, until beer thirty. Poor Wheaty, gone but not gorgotten.
A
That girly iced tea originated in China, though the black tea mostly comes from India now.
04-01-2010, 03:34 PM   #40
Veteran Member

As a Chinese who was born in HK, now part of China, I can tell you that dumping dead babies in the river didn't surprise me one bit. There have been lots of ugly things happening in China the last few decades since the CP took over. Keep in mind that the gov in power does not necessarily represent the people they are ruling, and if you have any idea what had been done to the Chinese people during the last 50 years before the economical reform, you might not be surprised why people are being so selfish and rudeness these days. It took generations for the some of the western cultures moving into the now considered civilized societies (yet again imperfect), and it will be many more decades for Chinese people to be more civilize again causing by the dark era of the CP. Then again, putting all the blames on China for low quality products might be short sighted. China has a late start, and like Japan, quality will come as they move on. And more importantly, it was the smart guys in offices came up with the idea moving their manufacturing to some cheap labour overseas. China did not steal people's job in America, Australia or Europe. It's your very own top paid CEO in your own countries made it happened. And once the ball was rolling, there is no going back. Eventually, the labour cost in Asia will raise, and the quality will be on par, and then the playing field might be leveled again.

Also, the varieties of Chinese foods are so vast, I myself am only familiar with maybe a small portion of the GuangDong style, or more toward the Hong Kong style food. It is impossible to generalize. Any foods being served in restaurants are high in sodium and fat, Chinese or not. But I bet most foods being cooked at home would be less so. And I can speak as a Chinese that the Chinese foods that we have cooked at home on daily basis are far different from what you can order from Chinese restaurants. Man, I sound like I am defending. The truth is I feel very sad that there are many bad things going on in China these days, and even sadder that nothing I can do to help. But make no mistake, I believe the human behaviors are not born with, but largely depends on the societies they are living in. People came from poorer societies might be more rudeness and less civilize, and vise verse is true as well (like the movie Trading Places). It will take generations for them to change, and let's hope the Chinese CP would not ruin it this time.

Last edited by wlachan; 04-01-2010 at 04:42 PM.
04-01-2010, 04:41 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
As a Chinese who was born in HK, now part of China, I can tell you that dumping dead babies in the river didn't surprise me one bit. There have been lots of ugly things happening in China the last few decades since the CP took over. Keep in mind that the gov in power does not necessarily represent the people they are ruling, and if you have any idea what had been done to the Chinese people during the last 50 years before the economical reform, you might not be surprised why people are being so selfish and rudeness these days. It took generations for the some of the western cultures moving into the now considered civilized societies (yet again imperfect), and it will be many more decades for Chinese people to be more civilize again causing by the dark era of the CP. Then again, putting all the blames on China for low quality products might be short sighted. China has a late start, and like Japan, quality will come as they move on. And more importantly, it was the smart guys in offices came up with the idea moving their manufacturing to some cheap labour overseas. China did not steal people's job in America, Australia or Europe. It's you very own top paid CEO in your own countries made it happened. And once the ball was rolling, there is no going back. Eventually, the labour cost in Asia will raise, and the quality will be on par, and then the playing field might be leveled again.

Also, the varieties of Chinese foods are so vast, I myself am only familiar with maybe a small portion of the GuangDong style, or more toward the Hong Kong style food. It is impossible to generalize. Any foods being served in restaurants are high in sodium and fat, Chinese or not. But I bet most foods being cooked at home would be less so. And I can speak as a Chinese that the Chinese foods that we have cooked at home on daily basis are far different from what you can order from Chinese restaurants. Man, I sound like I am defending. The truth is I feel very sad that there are many bad things going on in China these days, and even sadder that nothing I can do to help. But make no mistake, I believe the human behaviors are not born with, but largely depends on the societies they are living in. People came from poorer societies might be more rudeness and less civilize, and vise verse is true as well (like the movie Trading Places). It will take generations for them to change, and let's hope the Chinese CP would not ruin it this time.
As someone that has a friend currently in China, and a Doctor whose son was a Missionary in China for several years, let me say that your post seems very true to what I have heard first hand from these people. While there are some bad things in China, just as in America or any other country, there are also some very excellent things there too, and should not be overlooked by some that I consider "China Bashers". In time, China will move forward politically as they already have demonstrated to a large degree in comparison to past governments.
There are many that want to blame China and stop trade for the faults of their own Fat Cat Wall Street handlers, and unfortunately they are on that little leash and can't reach the remote to switch off FAUX News and get some real facts about who sent their jobs to China.

Best Regards & you are welcome in my home any time! Do bring your cooking utensils and recipes! I love Chinese!
Rupert

Last edited by Rupert; 04-01-2010 at 07:10 PM. Reason: spell
04-01-2010, 05:31 PM   #42
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Don't buy Chinese products because they dump babies in rivers? Are you a red neck?

You do realize how bad chinese food is healthwise don't you?
You do realise that Chinese food is cooked at home also? Chinese food is a lot more healthier than you think. Take a trip to China and then tell me how many obese people you spotted.. when you get home, do the same thing then compare.

What wlachan posted is accurate. Chinese foods cooked at home are far different from what you can order from Chinese restaurants. And of course I assume you are talking about an American Chinese restuarant?
04-01-2010, 07:18 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fractal Quote
Don't buy Chinese products because they dump babies in rivers? Are you a red neck?

You do realise that Chinese food is cooked at home also? Chinese food is a lot more healthier than you think. Take a trip to China and then tell me how many obese people you spotted.. when you get home, do the same thing then compare.

What wlachan posted is accurate. Chinese foods cooked at home are far different from what you can order from Chinese restaurants. And of course I assume you are talking about an American Chinese restuarant?

I cook Chinese often, and it is very low fat and full of nutrition. Tasty too! Restaurants tend to cook for the desires of fat unhealthy Americans, which tends to make them fatter. I ate at Subway tonight, a low fat sandwich with lots of fresh veggies. There was a lady there that was getting the same thing/similar and was questioning the fat content and calories...but when she got to the checkout she got two big cherry turnovers and asked for extra glazing on them. She was about 5'1" and a good 300 lbs. What the hell is wriong with people like this? It is just too ignorant for words....and there are tens of millions of them! It is just plain sad.....
Best Regards!
04-01-2010, 08:16 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't think that what Americans think of as Chinese food is really Chinese food. I've heard that General Tso's Chicken was invented in NYC. I had a Korean friend in college and although their traditional food smelled great, it was a little too hot for my taste. Actually, way too hot.

As far as Chinese products... If I'm going to buy something that is going to be Chinese anyways, I'll buy it from China. I have no interest in paying for 2 or 3 companies multipliers for the same product. Case in point, I just bought 1,000 5mm blue LEDs straight from China shipped for under $20. There's not a company here that could get anywhere near that price for the same product. It's a shame, but its reality.
04-01-2010, 08:17 PM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
As a Chinese who was born in HK, now part of China, I can tell you that dumping dead babies in the river didn't surprise me one bit. There have been lots of ugly things happening in China the last few decades since the CP took over. Keep in mind that the gov in power does not necessarily represent the people they are ruling, and if you have any idea what had been done to the Chinese people during the last 50 years before the economical reform, you might not be surprised why people are being so selfish and rudeness these days. It took generations for the some of the western cultures moving into the now considered civilized societies (yet again imperfect), and it will be many more decades for Chinese people to be more civilize again causing by the dark era of the CP. Then again, putting all the blames on China for low quality products might be short sighted. China has a late start, and like Japan, quality will come as they move on. And more importantly, it was the smart guys in offices came up with the idea moving their manufacturing to some cheap labour overseas. China did not steal people's job in America, Australia or Europe. It's your very own top paid CEO in your own countries made it happened. And once the ball was rolling, there is no going back. Eventually, the labour cost in Asia will raise, and the quality will be on par, and then the playing field might be leveled again.

Bad things are going on all over the world. As far as products from China, yes some are inferior like the lamp I bought. I am old enough to remember that "Made in Japan meant it was crap after WWII. Things will get better in China as soon as the quality is better. It will happen. If not China will not prosper.
A
Closed Thread