Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2010, 02:27 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Ok, There are probably a Few decent ones.. but it's still a shame that these people can't be more careful. Sometimes I think the word Fragile is an invitation to screw with a package. I would have guessed the lens to be the FA100mm f2.8 Macro. Guess I was wrong..

My only international UPS experience is from this end. I can say that UPS has brought the 3 packages from prodigital2000 through without incident. The first package was followed by an invoice for their Brokerage fee. It got shredded with the rest of the junk mail. I consider that to be a cost of doing business and a fee that should be disclosed and added up front if it's going to be charged. I haven't been asked to pay another brokerage fee since that first one.

I refuse to actually ship anything UPS for other reasons. If someone insists that I use such a carrier then it's fedex and only if the recipient can provide an account number. I've had to file 2 claims with fedex and though I had to fight with them a little bit, they did pay. I believe it's the general policy of all shippers to initially deny a claim. UPS isn't the only one. Persistence is the key. I know for a time way back when, B&H had stopped using UPS because of their policies.

All of my packages going to Canada are sent postal. In 11+ years, I've yet to have an issue. Then again, I pack everything assuming somebody is going to do something stupid (well beyond the reach of a box cutter for instance).

Good luck..
even if it were out of reach by a box cutter, if the personnel wished to do what he/she pleases, he/she could use a chainsaw for all he/she cares. the way I saw the box, tells me that it won't matter by what means they would open it.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 04-01-2010 at 02:54 PM.
04-01-2010, 02:32 PM   #32
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
even if it were out of reach by a box cutter, if the personnel wished to do what he/she please, he/she could use a chainsaw for all he/she cares. the way I saw the box, tells me that it won't matter by what means they would open it.
Well, There you go.. You can't fix or get around stupid. The Darwin award winners will always find a way to screw things up.

04-04-2010, 05:50 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
even if it were out of reach by a box cutter, if the personnel wished to do what he/she pleases, he/she could use a chainsaw for all he/she cares. the way I saw the box, tells me that it won't matter by what means they would open it.
sorry to hear what happened to your item.

Have you ever had your packages upheld for customs/VAT fees? I had heard some issues in Japan where UPS upheld packages from delivery, and demanded customs duty paid by the recipient.
04-04-2010, 08:18 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoso Quote
sorry to hear what happened to your item.

Have you ever had your packages upheld for customs/VAT fees? I had heard some issues in Japan where UPS upheld packages from delivery, and demanded customs duty paid by the recipient.
Yes they ask for it before they'll give it to you. I paid an additional fee to them for their mishandling services. can you just imagine that?

Last edited by Pentaxor; 04-04-2010 at 11:53 PM.
04-04-2010, 09:54 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Yes they ask for it before they'll give it to you. I paid an additional fee to them for their mishandling. can you just imagine that?
UPS at their finest with a K-7 Silver.....

First off regarding the senders....they went above and beyond to make sure everything was good for me. It's too bad UPS can't stand up to their part...

When I picked up the box, one side was crushed and felt like a padded envelope. I finally realized that the box had been inspected and they cut three sides of the box. The also opened the K-7 Silver box...without moving the box tab and tearing it off. F&*king morons. I HATE UPS AND WISH THEY WOULD GO BANKRUPT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

04-05-2010, 12:09 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
UPS at their finest with a K-7 Silver.....

First off regarding the senders....they went above and beyond to make sure everything was good for me. It's too bad UPS can't stand up to their part...

When I picked up the box, one side was crushed and felt like a padded envelope. I finally realized that the box had been inspected and they cut three sides of the box. The also opened the K-7 Silver box...without moving the box tab and tearing it off. F&*king morons. I HATE UPS AND WISH THEY WOULD GO BANKRUPT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve, did this happened to you today or just recently? my package was ripped open the same way without any regards. from what I'm seeing, I don't like what is happening. something ugly is really going on with this courier. it looks liked i didn't matter if it's written with fragile or not. looks like some people are doing a botched job in the inspection area. it's not getting any better. today is Monday, so their phones would be start ringing a few hours from now.
04-05-2010, 02:35 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just called UPS and they said that the sender should file for a complaint regarding the matter. they said that they will do an investigation of the matter so they advised me to keep any evidence of such mishandling like the box or package itself.

Steve, do you still have that ugly package and cut out and ripped box? if it's not a bother, can you ask the seller to file the necessary complaint so that you'll get some sort of a compensation or savings?

Last edited by Pentaxor; 04-05-2010 at 03:29 PM.
04-05-2010, 03:07 PM   #38

I just called UPS and they said that the sender should file for a complaint regarding the matter. they said that they will do an investigation of the matter so they advised me to keep the any evidence of such mishandling like the box or package itself.

Steve, do you still have that ugly package and cut out and ripped box? if it's not a bother, can you ask the seller to file the necessary complaint so that you'll get some sort of a compensation or savings?
I really feel for you, so I hate to say this but: My dad had a '70 pontiac gto grill sent to him via ups. It is quite large, the box was about 5ft tall. Well it was left on our porch looking like absolute shit. Turns out it got a nice big dent too.

Filed a complaint with ups, but like you said, the seller needs to do some work too. Our seller was a lazy shit, and it took forever, im talking months to get any sort of compensation.

I realize that your parents shipped the item so you have a big edge that way, but god damn, ups sucks.

Good luck.
04-05-2010, 03:56 PM   #39
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FWIW, it is Always the Sender, the person who forked over the cash for the shipment, who must file the claim for insurance. The sender can elect to notify UPS they he/she is turning over the process to the recipient. Otherwise, the recipient can file complaints until pigs sprout wings and learn to fly, it will do him no good.

04-05-2010, 04:43 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
FWIW, it is Always the Sender, the person who forked over the cash for the shipment, who must file the claim for insurance. The sender can elect to notify UPS they he/she is turning over the process to the recipient. Otherwise, the recipient can file complaints until pigs sprout wings and learn to fly, it will do him no good.

I do believe in happy endings.
04-05-2010, 09:45 PM   #41
Veteran Member

I just called UPS and they said that the sender should file for a complaint regarding the matter. they said that they will do an investigation of the matter so they advised me to keep any evidence of such mishandling like the box or package itself.

I still have the box but I'm a little reluctant to ask the sender for anything more as it ended up being more work than first thought getting the K-7 sent in the first place. Other than the torn tab on the camera box, the K-7 is just fine, so I'm not sure they would want to pass along anything. While I might not get anything out of it, I thought it was worth posting as others might avoid extra expense and trouble by choosing someone other than UPS.