Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2010, 07:11 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
how UPS and customs Canada handled my lenses.

you know how I hated UPS, and this is one of the reasons. I hate paying for their outrageous brokerage fees. too bad my folks made a mistake of sending my package via UPS where I asked specifically for Fedex.

anyway, I received my package today along with other assorted items on a big box where there is an indication that the materials are fragile. ok, quite optimistic about how they handled my box until I opened it. spoke to soon. to my surprise, I found out that the lens box which was included inside the big box and the shipping manifesto was disregardly cut open with a box cutter. the box was in poor state as it was virtually ripped as well. a part of the top cover was broken off and the styro part which protects the lens from impact was broken as well. plastics and bubble wraps doesnt look to be in place, thereby evidently that someone opened it deliberately to take a closer look or inspection.

now comes the really ugly part.
the lens barrel have a long straight slice or cut mark made from a box cutter. I could tell that the marks are fresh since the marked surface isnt as smooth and there is a chipped part of the hood to where it really showed someone elses complete stupidity and disregard. I feel upset since the lens looks good cosmetically and just got the ugly scar due to mishandling of some stupid paranoid and delusional inspector which might had thought that it is a bomb. someone would definitely get an earful tomorrow and certainly its not a funny april fools joke.

here are some pics of how the lens box looks like and the long slice mark that they left on the barrel.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 03-31-2010 at 07:18 PM.
03-31-2010, 07:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I don't see the pictures, but I think you may have a case for insurance... What you'll need is proof that the damage happened in transit, so pictures of the items being packed up would be preferable.

Honestly, if my lenses ever arrived looking like you've described, I would be making a huge fuss and I wouldn't go away. I might even threaten getting the press in on it.
03-31-2010, 07:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The pictures are not coming up. UPS automatically insures international packages for $100USD against damages. If your parents put a declared value on the package they could have insured the package for $0.70 for each additional $100 of the declared value.
03-31-2010, 07:57 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You are doomed, you know.
Please note, this is my OPINION: UPS is the biggest group of crooks doing business in Canada today. They have no accountability, and will find any means possible to avoid taking responsibility for their actions.
Add to that, their "brokerage" fees border on criminal usury.
Canada Customs isn't much, if any, better.

If both Customs and UPS have touched the items, both will blame the problem on the other, and neither will admit that they are the ones who opened the box.

Unfortunately, your best bet is to suck it up and use your private insurance to pay for the damage and treat this as an unfortunate lesson.

And remember, Friends don't send stuff to friends via UPS.

03-31-2010, 08:05 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, I learned a big lesson years ago when I bought a $50 dollar karoake mixer from US - the shipping cost was already $25 and some change and then when it crossed the border they slapped on another $25 brokerage fee (highway robbery) plus customs taxes. I don't deal with any US outfit that uses only UPS anymore.
03-31-2010, 08:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
firstly, the ones that sent me the package are not my friends, they are my parents.

its just too bad that they are not that familiar with some of the international couriers and most often send via postal air. honestly speaking, EMS international , USPS, Royal Mail, and even airmail via Canada Post could have done a much finer job as to handling and collecting a fair amount of fees ( sometimes with or without depending on how the item is disclosed).

for quick shipping I prefer Fedex since I had dealt with them for a very long time and have a real-time tracking of your items. EMS and UPS aint that bad and you could receive your items within 5-7 business days.

honestly, this is the first time that I had experienced such a well-known courier made some clear mess without having the thought of even fixing or putting back the mess they did. its nothing more like vandalism to say the least. whether something will happen with my case or not, one complain is good rather than none. atleast those complaints keep filing up and they get investigated or evaluated for their disservice or inefficiency.

note: pic 1: thats how the lens box looks like when I found it inside the box where it was packed. ripped portion of the top cover and a broken piece of the styro inside the box.
pic 2: see the long scratch or slice mark
pic 3 : how long the slice mark goes.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
03-31-2010, 08:44 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That's really sad for what happened and good luck on your claim. I would like to point out 2 things though. 1) Brokerage fee applies to GROUND shipping only from overseas (read the link below for exceptions), be it UPS/FedEX/DHL. 2) Having shipped many packages over the years myself, always use big enough sturdy box with enough foam inside. A sturdy box w/o sufficient foam will be crashed easily. If the box could be pushed inward when sealed, then the foam protection wasn't enough.

UPS: Rates for Customs Clearance into Canada
03-31-2010, 09:23 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
That's really sad for what happened and good luck on your claim. I would like to point out 2 things though. 1) Brokerage fee applies to GROUND shipping only from overseas (read the link below for exceptions), be it UPS/FedEX/DHL. 2) Having shipped many packages over the years myself, always use big enough sturdy box with enough foam inside. A sturdy box w/o sufficient foam will be crashed easily. If the box could be pushed inward when sealed, then the foam protection wasn't enough.

UPS: Rates for Customs Clearance into Canada
thanks for the link but those fees in my experience seems to be inconsistent and doesnt follow such value.

as for the external box, I have no problem or no concern with the external box where the small lens box was packed inside. my issue is how they just left the small lens box lying inside like that after they opened it without properly taping it back or atleast careful enough not to cut or recklessly hit something valuable inside before taking a peek at it. I know how paranoid the security clearance staff had become eversince the dawn of terrorists and drug smugglers become more prevalent, but atleast spare the common person of their paranoia and do their job properly as not all boxes contain what they are looking for. the sad thing would be if the common person doesnt get reimbursed on the damage that was caused by people whose job is to take care of valuable packages and not treat it as junk.

03-31-2010, 11:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

03-31-2010, 11:17 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MrApollinax Quote
The pictures are not coming up. UPS automatically insures international packages for $100USD against damages. If your parents put a declared value on the package they could have insured the package for $0.70 for each additional $100 of the declared value.
Yes, not to mention that they paid top sterling for such a crappy service as well.

update: my folks told me that the small lens box was not in that kind of condition when they packed it inside and when it was shipped out. now regardless of either local party pointing the blame on each other, I solely put the blame on UPS for they are the ones responsible for delivering the goods in good condition. customs maybe partly to blame for having stupid people working for them but atleast some UPS staff should had been there to supervise and monitor that their client's goods are well-preserved. with this kind of total disregard about their shippings, I dont think that UPS would survive in this kind of a business. especially if other couriers are getting better with their service and not just the Big 3.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 03-31-2010 at 11:22 PM.
03-31-2010, 11:22 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
what happened to me is the last straw. I had it with UPS. in the future, I would ask a seller to offer me an option to get my items delivered not via UPS. UPS never again.....EVER !
04-01-2010, 12:38 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
Yes, not to mention that they paid top sterling for such a crappy service as well.

update: my folks told me that the small lens box was not in that kind of condition when they packed it inside and when it was shipped out. now regardless of either local party pointing the blame on each other, I solely put the blame on UPS for they are the ones responsible for delivering the goods in good condition. customs maybe partly to blame for having stupid people working for them but atleast some UPS staff should had been there to supervise and monitor that their client's goods are well-preserved. with this kind of total disregard about their shippings, I dont think that UPS would survive in this kind of a business. especially if other couriers are getting better with their service and not just the Big 3.
I also dislike UPS with a passion, plus I do feel bad for you. However since you do live close to the border... if you need to ship anything via UPS from the US, is it possible for you to get it shipped to a Blaine WA address. Or Point Roberts, and then do a cross border run after it's arrived.
If they don't send it across the border then they can't hit you up with their ridicules brokerage fees, plus Customs has no reason to look at it so UPS can't blame them.

I've seen packages ripped open from Customs, and I can tell you that they don't normally repackage the item. Which leaves me thinking that it's UPS whom cut it up.
04-01-2010, 02:30 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Ugh, that's a nasty scratch... what lens was that? a FA 50mm Macro or FA 135mm?
04-01-2010, 04:23 AM   #14
Veteran Member

UPS Insurance is a joke.

Yes, the will insure your package for whatever value you deem. Rarely does UPS pay a damage claim. In most cases, they will find a problem with the way the item was packed and deny your claim.

Two years ago, my (former) company shipped a computer network component back to its manufacturer for repair. It was shipped in the original packaging with inner and outer boxes. UPS damaged the component. Looked like the box had been dropped from around dock height. The claim was denied due to improper packaging. It cost you more to sue them than you can recover. And... they know this.

Crooks? Yep!
04-01-2010, 09:42 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I also dislike UPS with a passion, plus I do feel bad for you. However since you do live close to the border... if you need to ship anything via UPS from the US, is it possible for you to get it shipped to a Blaine WA address. Or Point Roberts, and then do a cross border run after it's arrived.
If they don't send it across the border then they can't hit you up with their ridicules brokerage fees, plus Customs has no reason to look at it so UPS can't blame them.

I've seen packages ripped open from Customs, and I can tell you that they don't normally repackage the item. Which leaves me thinking that it's UPS whom cut it up.
Yes, it's possible and it's only about an hour or less drive.