Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2010, 08:40 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Well, all I know is that I am going to go to PBS to display my fine artwork and drawing abilities! Some of you guys just have no appreciation for Fine Art! I may have to leave and go sip Tea with Wheatboy. I can grow a beard and learn a few words in Arabic.......think it would pass?
Regards!
Well, if you get your art work on PBS I will watch the program. I may not like it but I will watch. I have an open mind even if you think it is kind of puny.
A

---------- Post added 04-01-2010 at 10:43 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rhodopsin Quote
Please at least consider we might be correct about all this...at least we listen to you, we just know better. A little more open-mindedness never hurt anyone.
I have concidered you may be correct and I appreciate you listening to me. I just have a problem with the " we just know better" part. Kind of condescending .
A

Last edited by Artesian; 04-01-2010 at 08:59 PM.
04-01-2010, 08:49 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The truth of the matter is that the US never had a ban on drilling 50 miles off the coast of VA. It was all a PR stunt. While he said that he was going to "allow" drilling off the coast of VA, he in turn shut down attempts to get permission for new drilling in Alaska. In effect banning all new drilling in the state. It's one step forward and two steps back.
04-01-2010, 09:06 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Das Boot Quote
The truth of the matter is that the US never had a ban on drilling 50 miles off the coast of VA. It was all a PR stunt. While he said that he was going to "allow" drilling off the coast of VA, he in turn shut down attempts to get permission for new drilling in Alaska. In effect banning all new drilling in the state. It's one step forward and two steps back.
Sounds like tricky Dick only it is decietful Barack.
A
04-01-2010, 09:13 PM   #34
Veteran Member

It's the same shit. The difference is in the rhetoric.

04-01-2010, 10:17 PM   #35
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
This, however, is not in any way an insurmountable problem. Nor, in fact, by any means a worse threat than nose-fungus, pollutants, and habitat loss. Or.... Cars.

Since that meme was put out there years ago, in fact, some solutions have been found. I don't know about implementation happening.

Seriously, a lot of that talk is like, "We may not be able to save all the horses, may as well shoot em."
Count me in here Ratlady...I'm not for shooting horses. Let's save all we can...that is my thought.....I love horses....and Squirrels! Other animals too, all of them, but I do hate Chiggers and Mosquitoes. Is that bad?
Best Regards!
04-01-2010, 10:29 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Hey - what about Ebola or Ringworm? Let us not discriminate. They're all God's creatures.

Hey RML - Have you ever heard of the horse latitudes and how they got their name?
04-02-2010, 07:22 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Das Boot Quote
Hey - what about Ebola or Ringworm? Let us not discriminate. They're all God's creatures.

Hey RML - Have you ever heard of the horse latitudes and how they got their name?

Yes, there are many bad critters on earth, large and small. God allows both Good and Evil, and states that it rains on the Just and Unjust alike. We are supposed to make choices.....I'm not sure this applies here, but if given a choice, I choose horses over Ebola.....you too?

BTW-My fine drawing was turned down by PBS.......they said it lacked originality.....claiming it depicted a very common occurrence in Washington. I was heartbroken, of course, but I did break out my Wok and cook some stir-fry Chinese........it made me feel a little better!
Best Regards!

04-02-2010, 09:23 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Obama is not stupid. He knows very well that the US needs to develop our own sources of oil. Wind, hydro, nuke and solar all have potential and need to be developed further and put into use but the reality is that we still need oil, and we will need it for a long time.
04-02-2010, 09:40 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Count me in here Ratlady...I'm not for shooting horses. Let's save all we can...that is my thought.....I love horses....and Squirrels! Other animals too, all of them, but I do hate Chiggers and Mosquitoes. Is that bad?
Best Regards!
Chiggers and mosquitoes aren't 'evil,' Rupert, (though the former might easily give an impression otherwise, yikes.)

I make it a practice not to kill harmless insects, but if it's their role to try and eat me, it's mine to try and swat them. No malice necessary. That's not cause I over-personify them, ....it's about the effect on *me* that such callousness would have.
04-02-2010, 09:53 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Chiggers and mosquitoes aren't 'evil,' Rupert, (though the former might easily give an impression otherwise, yikes.)

I make it a practice not to kill harmless insects, but if it's their role to try and eat me, it's mine to try and swat them. No malice necessary. That's not cause I over-personify them, ....it's about the effect on *me* that such callousness would have.
Well, when these Texas mosquitoes start building those landing strips in my yard, they look pretty damn "evil" to me. And I would be willing to bet that anyone suffering from a few dozen burrowing chiggers right now would not use a lightweight word like "evil" in their description.........wanna bet! LOL!
Regards!
04-02-2010, 10:40 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Well, when these Texas mosquitoes start building those landing strips in my yard, they look pretty damn "evil" to me. And I would be willing to bet that anyone suffering from a few dozen burrowing chiggers right now would not use a lightweight word like "evil" in their description.........wanna bet! LOL!
Regards!

Would it help?

I think I'll stick with having enough respect for their ways to not get a few dozen in me.
As for mosquitoes, ascribing malice and getting all hot under the collar only makes you easier for them to find. Physiologically.

Told you I just don't see the world that way.
04-02-2010, 02:29 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Would it help?

I think I'll stick with having enough respect for their ways to not get a few dozen in me.
As for mosquitoes, ascribing malice and getting all hot under the collar only makes you easier for them to find. Physiologically.

Told you I just don't see the world that way.
Well, if you saw the plane loads of troops they are bringing to those landing strips in giant cargo planes, you might see it differently. It is not a fair fight either, there are millions of them, and near impossible to kill.
Best Regards
04-03-2010, 09:52 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, if you saw the plane loads of troops they are bringing to those landing strips in giant cargo planes, you might see it differently. It is not a fair fight either, there are millions of them, and near impossible to kill.
Best Regards
Your Texas mosquitoes don't have anything on upstate NY mosquitoes. I live less than 1/2 mile from a big swamp. It's full of mosquitoes that carry West Nile virus and Eastern Equine Encephalitis. The town, run by Republicans, let people build McMansions right next to it, one guy even wanted to have horses. These people, geniuses that they are, complain nonstop about the mosquitoes every year and demand spraying. The state inevitably gives in when a mosquito is found with EEE. These Mosquitoes have been spayed so many times that they are all now Super Mosquitoes resistant to just about every type of pesticide. The only respite we had was the 4 months a year the swamp was frozen solid. Now, thanks to global warming, we are down to 3 months a year.
04-03-2010, 10:26 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Best Regards
That makes proclaiming some insects 'evil' somehow useful?

Maybe it's not a 'fight.'

Maybe, getting all pissed off lights up your underarms like landing lights, flushes your capillaries with yumy yummy food, , and means your skin exudes more CO2, all things they use to find *you* out of all the background and bite.

Loose clothing, maybe a bit of plain old anti-perspirant, and not getting agitated really does a lot more than all the stinky sprays and swatting in the world.
04-03-2010, 10:49 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Maybe, getting all pissed off lights up your underarms like landing lights, flushes your capillaries with yumy yummy food, , and means your skin exudes more CO2, all things they use to find *you* out of all the background and bite.

Loose clothing, maybe a bit of plain old anti-perspirant, and not getting agitated really does a lot more than all the stinky sprays and swatting in the world.
+999

CO2 in breath, stress hormones in sweat, are attractive nee irresistable to mosquitos. Every bite also leaves a landing beacon for others to follow.