Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2010, 05:39 AM   #1
Veteran Member
GeneV's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Albuquerque NM
Photos: Albums
Posts: 9,830
Baylor University now for Republicans?

Baylor University is the largest Baptist educational institution in the world, two time SWC champion and in the round of 8 for this year's NCAA Tourney. It is also my Alma Mater.

On the cover of my alumni magazine yesterday was a full page photo of the new President--Kenneth Wilson. Starr.

Does this complete the merger between the Southern Baptist Convention and the Republican Party? Regardless of what you think about former President Clinton, Starr was an equally polarizing political figure. Can you see any Democrat paying good money to send his kid to be educated by Ken Starr?

04-01-2010, 06:29 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Artesian's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 360
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Baylor University is the largest Baptist educational institution in the world, two time SWC champion and in the round of 8 for this year's NCAA Tourney. It is also my Alma Mater.

On the cover of my alumni magazine yesterday was a full page photo of the new President--Kenneth Wilson. Starr.

Does this complete the merger between the Southern Baptist Convention and the Republican Party? Regardless of what you think about former President Clinton, Starr was an equally polarizing political figure. Can you see any Democrat paying good money to send his kid to be educated by Ken Starr?
It may be only one of few that does not give a liberal education. The libs have had a hold on that for decades. Glad to see it. Too bad they lost in round 8.
A

Last edited by Artesian; 04-01-2010 at 09:29 AM.
04-01-2010, 06:31 AM   #3
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Rupert's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,123
Baylor is a right wing extension of the Republican party, plain and simple. They have sold out to the right, did it years ago, and are about as much "Christian" as the KKK. They do serve the local economy well, and also have some of the finest whores in that part of Texas. Years ago I used to travel to Waco often on business, and those Baylor girls were as thick as flies on stink, you could hardly do business without being accosted by them. Typical right wing "Appalachian Trail" girls. I also heard that penicillin sales were higher in that area than in the Hood of DC. If you ever visit there, you will know I am right.....
Best Regards!
04-01-2010, 06:35 AM   #4
Veteran Member
GeneV's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Albuquerque NM
Photos: Albums
Posts: 9,830
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Artesian Quote
It may be only one of few that does not give a liberal education. The libs have had a hold on that for decades. Glad to see it. Too bad they lost in tound 8.
A
So, do you think it is a good thing that Republicans only study and have contact with other Republicans?

04-01-2010, 07:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Rupert's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,123
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
So, do you think it is a good thing that Republicans only study and have contact with other Republicans?
That's all they do anyhow, so there is nothing new here. Most have superglued their channel selector to FAUX News, and thrown their remote in the trash. Anything left of Dick Cheney is considered vermin, unfit for association. You think I am kidding....you just ask one of those Tea Party wingnuts, if they have time to talk to you, between cleaning their weapons for an attack on Police Officers at a funeral for one of their own...and marching on to wipe out Washington. Sick perverts of society....demented to the bone.
Best Regards!
04-01-2010, 07:29 AM   #6
Veteran Member
GeneV's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Albuquerque NM
Photos: Albums
Posts: 9,830
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
That's all they do anyhow, so there is nothing new here. Most have superglued their channel selector to FAUX News, and thrown their remote in the trash. Anything left of Dick Cheney is considered vermin, unfit for association. You think I am kidding....you just ask one of those Tea Party wingnuts, if they have time to talk to you, between cleaning their weapons for an attack on Police Officers at a funeral for one of their own...and marching on to wipe out Washington. Sick perverts of society....demented to the bone.
Best Regards!
When I attended Baylor, it was a Christian school, but not a political school. It just so happened that back then I was a Republican, but that was before Reagan and before the connections between the Southern Baptists and the Republican Party. In fact, I was a bit of an odd duck for that party affiliation.

I've also recently learned that the church I attended in Waco has broken off its affiliation with the SBC. Apparently, they weren't toeing the line, either. It is sad to me that we now associate with and learn from only those of like mind.
04-01-2010, 07:49 AM   #7
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Rupert's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,123
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
When I attended Baylor, it was a Christian school, but not a political school. It just so happened that back then I was a Republican, but that was before Reagan and before the connections between the Southern Baptists and the Republican Party. In fact, I was a bit of an odd duck for that party affiliation.

I've also recently learned that the church I attended in Waco has broken off its affiliation with the SBC. Apparently, they weren't toeing the line, either. It is sad to me that we now associate with and learn from only those of like mind.

Yes, it is a sad course of events, and it has been coming for a long time....since Nixon really. However, if you are a Christian, you can read all about this change in your New Testament....it was predicted all those many years ago, along with all we see in the Middle East. There is no greater proof of the authenticity of the Bible than what we see in the prophesies being fulfilled almost daily. The return of Israel as a Nation has no parallel in history, and that it was predicted, correctly, should give many a reason to take another look at the Word of God.....but, of course, it doesn't. They are more interested in the next election than in the next event to dramatically change this world.
Best Regards!

04-01-2010, 08:28 AM   #8
Pentaxian
reeftool's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Upstate New York
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,135
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Baylor University is the largest Baptist educational institution in the world, two time SWC champion and in the round of 8 for this year's NCAA Tourney. It is also my Alma Mater.

On the cover of my alumni magazine yesterday was a full page photo of the new President--Kenneth Wilson. Starr.

Does this complete the merger between the Southern Baptist Convention and the Republican Party? Regardless of what you think about former President Clinton, Starr was an equally polarizing political figure. Can you see any Democrat paying good money to send his kid to be educated by Ken Starr?
College Presidents don't educate students. In private schools especially, their biggest job is getting donations and grants and promoting the school. Ken Starr may do very well in that respect. I doubt Baylors curriculum differs much from any other liberal arts college. Most parents would like to send their kids to a school with a good academic reputation and with the hopes that they will be able to get jobs upon graduation. My kids were educated at Skidmore and St. Lawrence, very good schools. When the time comes, I expect to be put in a very nice home.
04-01-2010, 09:33 AM   #9
Pentaxian
Artesian's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 360
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
So, do you think it is a good thing that Republicans only study and have contact with other Republicans?
I think it is as good as liberals only going to Lib schools like Harvard, Berkley, etc.

Indoctrination is indoctrination whether on the right or left. There is just more left than right.
A

---------- Post added 04-01-2010 at 11:45 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Baylor is a right wing extension of the Republican party, plain and simple. They have sold out to the right, did it years ago, and are about as much "Christian" as the KKK. They do serve the local economy well, and also have some of the finest whores in that part of Texas. Years ago I used to travel to Waco often on business, and those Baylor girls were as thick as flies on stink, you could hardly do business without being accosted by them. Typical right wing "Appalachian Trail" girls. I also heard that penicillin sales were higher in that area than in the Hood of DC. If you ever visit there, you will know I am right.....
Best Regards!
Best Regards,

Did I hear you say somewhere that you really really enjoyed Waco? Did the penicillin work for you?
A

---------- Post added 04-01-2010 at 11:55 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Yes, it is a sad course of events, and it has been coming for a long time....since Nixon really. However, if you are a Christian, you can read all about this change in your New Testament....it was predicted all those many years ago, along with all we see in the Middle East. There is no greater proof of the authenticity of the Bible than what we see in the prophesies being fulfilled almost daily. The return of Israel as a Nation has no parallel in history, and that it was predicted, correctly, should give many a reason to take another look at the Word of God.....but, of course, it doesn't. They are more interested in the next election than in the next event to dramatically change this world.
Best Regards!
Well if Obama has anything to do with it Israel will not exist much longer. He walks on eggshells with Irans leader Ahmadinejad who threatens to wipe out Israel. Pretty much flips off Benjamin Netanyahu and has Hillary chastise him. How do the Jewish people in the US feel about these apples? I personally think it is a discrace.
A
04-01-2010, 10:58 AM   #10
Veteran Member
GeneV's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Albuquerque NM
Photos: Albums
Posts: 9,830
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
College Presidents don't educate students. In private schools especially, their biggest job is getting donations and grants and promoting the school. Ken Starr may do very well in that respect. I doubt Baylors curriculum differs much from any other liberal arts college. Most parents would like to send their kids to a school with a good academic reputation and with the hopes that they will be able to get jobs upon graduation. My kids were educated at Skidmore and St. Lawrence, very good schools. When the time comes, I expect to be put in a very nice home.
I was not concerned so much with curriculum as student make-up. I went there (30+ years ago), and the curriculum was not that much different, other than the required religion courses and twice per week chapel attendance. High profile presidents do affect recruiting of students.

Regardless of whether professors at Harvard or anywhere else may be liberal or conservative, I can't think of another major, Division I university with a President who is this famous and carries this much political baggage.
04-01-2010, 12:36 PM   #11
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Rupert's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,123
QuoteOriginally posted by Artesian Quote
I think it is as good as liberals only going to Lib schools like Harvard, Berkley, etc.

Indoctrination is indoctrination whether on the right or left. There is just more left than right.
A

---------- Post added 04-01-2010 at 11:45 AM ----------



Best Regards,

Did I hear you say somewhere that you really really enjoyed Waco? Did the penicillin work for you?
A

---------- Post added 04-01-2010 at 11:55 AM ----------



Well if Obama has anything to do with it Israel will not exist much longer. He walks on eggshells with Irans leader Ahmadinejad who threatens to wipe out Israel. Pretty much flips off Benjamin Netanyahu and has Hillary chastise him. How do the Jewish people in the US feel about these apples? I personally think it is a discrace.
A


Makes no difference in the future of Israel. God said once restored, Israel will never fall again. Nations that go against it or abandon it as a friend will fall, but not Israel. You can read it in your Bible....some interesting reading in there!

You can plainly see Russia, China, Iraq, and Iran in Bible prophecy...but not a trace of America. Why is this? Because America will abandon Israel and decline to become a non-factor in world events. Do you sort of see this coming? Look around and tell me what you see.....America is already in decline. It has nothing to do with right or left, it has to do with the Will of God.
Sure, just another religious freak here........you look around and tell me again what you see?
Best Regards!
04-01-2010, 01:20 PM   #12
Veteran Member
Ratmagiclady's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: GA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 13,562
QuoteOriginally posted by Artesian Quote
I think it is as good as liberals only going to Lib schools like Harvard, Berkley, etc.

Indoctrination is indoctrination whether on the right or left. There is just more left than right.
I've *met* Harvard University, sir. I've *known* Harvard University.


'Baylor University' ...is no Harvard.

(But, yeah, it's surely a nice place for right-wing people to say 'University studies' when they want to support something with bad science. Hand out the degrees, boys.)

Nor is Harvard what you say.

A half-decent school should be letting people be a tad *smarter* than 'indoctrinated.'

Like... Not necessarily about *belief?*

I mean, really, the SBC has been one of the most consistently bigoted and ignorant forces out there in American politics... Except the half that was nearly the opposite. That they schismed out of for not having the right politics.



---------- Post added 04-01-2010 at 03:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
You can plainly see Russia, China, Iraq, and Iran in Bible prophecy...but not a trace of America. Why is this?

Separation of Church and State?

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 04-01-2010 at 01:25 PM.
04-01-2010, 01:29 PM   #13
Veteran Member
GeneV's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Albuquerque NM
Photos: Albums
Posts: 9,830
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I've *met* Harvard University, sir. I've *known* Harvard University.


'Baylor University' ...is no Harvard.

(But, yeah, it's surely a nice place for right-wing people to say 'University studies' when they want to support something with bad science. Hand out the degrees, boys.)

Nor is Harvard what you say.

A half-decent school should be letting people be a tad *smarter* than 'indoctrinated.'



---------- Post added 04-01-2010 at 03:21 PM ----------




Separation of Church and State?
Not sure what you are saying about this, but Baylor is consistently ranked in the top quarter for academics, and the medicine and law schools are even better. They have not, in the past, taught religion as science. Nor is it a bible college or a seminary (though the religion department is strong), but a Christian university that attempts to excel outside of ideology--at least historically.
04-01-2010, 01:32 PM   #14
Veteran Member
Ratmagiclady's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: GA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 13,562
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Not sure what you are saying about this, but Baylor is consistently ranked in the top quarter for academics, and the medicine and law schools are even better. They have not, in the past, taught religion as science. Nor is it a bible college, but a Christian university that attempts to excel outside of ideology--at least historically.
That's fine, I was just addressing an insistence that "Harvard and any other university I don't approve of is 'Liberal Indoctrination,' which would justify some kind of 'counter-indoctrination indoctrination.'"

Also, of course, that a lot of the *bad science* used to justify what conservative 'think tanks' want to pass off as 'Christianity' and 'Scienceyness' does in fact come from certain schools with certain affiliations that don't have anywhere near the same kind of credentials or weight in terms of science. Not that every Harvard student is some kind of genius or anything. Certainly not a 'flaming liberal.'


Also, I've picked up on that it's your alma mater, there, and, I'm very sorry to hear you were adversely affected by that 'schism' I mentioned, and how the politics have turned. Though that's kind of the point.

A Christian minister *I've* known well was affected by a similar breakup of a sort of confederation of some kind of Protestant churches, some years ago, ...Ironically-enough, I believe, for someone else being too pluralistic and consorting with queers and Pagans. I'm blanking on the names involved. (edit: I *stil* can't remember the names involved: they weren't well-known, but fairly widespread: they were organized around local autonomy and some kind of theological maxim about such autonomy: result: lots of the sorta neocon Evangelical types and some more progressive/open/accepting ...the name was very generic. Wasn't the UCC, which had a similar division as I recall. )

But this is in fact where politicizing things goes.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 04-01-2010 at 01:51 PM.
04-04-2010, 06:16 PM   #15
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Rupert's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,123
Baylor is known as a school where preachers send their daughters to get educated.....and from my experience they do a damn good job of it! After a semester or two they can educate most any guy that comes along......for a small fee, of course!
Regards!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
baptist, baylor, university
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Republicans party like it's 1865 jeffkrol General Talk 29 09-18-2010 11:01 AM
Republicans(?) blaming Repub's jeffkrol General Talk 20 09-14-2010 01:31 PM
Republicans Solve Healthcare! Rupert General Talk 12 04-24-2010 01:20 PM
Our university athletes soccerjoe5 Post Your Photos! 27 05-17-2009 11:03 PM
university of the philippines dannyb Post Your Photos! 2 05-14-2009 07:37 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:11 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top