Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2010, 04:13 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Maybe I'm Not Crazy After All

A few years ago on a business trip (well before I retired), I came across an article in a business or car mag (I don't remember which) that talked about an upcoming, RWD GM platform that would be the basis for several new cars from the corporation, including an offset to the BMW 3 series as well as the then future Camaro. Since I drive BMW 3ers, I was interested in a lower cost alternative and, because my past is littered with Camaros, I also was intrigued by the thought of a modern Camaro convertable as a possible alternative to the Mazdaspeed Miata I owned at the time.

When the Camaro appeared as a big, heavy derivative of the old Zeta platform, I assumed I'd dreamed up the whole idea of a new GM RWD chassis. But maybe not. Today, during one my occasional forays among the automotive web sites, I came across this recent Motor Trend article that seems as if it emerged from my dim memories. While I don' particularly care for Motor Trend, I was happy to have at least a shred of evidence that I'm not entirely over the bend. Of course, maybe this is an April's Fools article .

Happy Easter everyone.

Jer

My Gosh - I am over the bend; I forgot the &*^)% link:

http://wot.motortrend.com/6604864/future/next-gen-camaro-cts-to-join-small-c...orm/index.html

04-01-2010, 04:46 PM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

You're really Tim Taylor in disguise, aren't you?
04-01-2010, 06:08 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
You're really Tim Taylor in disguise, aren't you?
Could be . . . . . now if you'd give me a clue as to who Tim Taylor is ?????

Jer
04-01-2010, 07:09 PM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Could be . . . . . now if you'd give me a clue as to who Tim Taylor is ?????

Jer
Tim Allen's character on "Home Improvement". He was the quintessential "car guy".

04-01-2010, 07:13 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Of course; it's settled - I am around the bend. Of course, I only remember Heidi.

Jer
04-02-2010, 12:03 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If the article was from a couple of years ago it was probably referring to the Pontiac G8 and its Zeta based siblings, as depending on the trim and options they could be seen as BMW 3 and 5 series competitors. I had high hopes for the wagon (sold as a Holden in Australia) but unfortunately Pontiac's death and the American market's dislike of wagons prevented its release in North America. I don't think the Zeta platform all that old, wasn't it introduced in 2006?
04-02-2010, 04:51 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Of course; it's settled - I am around the bend. Of course, I only remember Heidi.

Jer
There is hope for you yet. If you had remembered Tim, and not Heidi, then we would be worried.

04-02-2010, 07:02 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
If the article was from a couple of years ago it was probably referring to the Pontiac G8 and its Zeta based siblings, as depending on the trim and options they could be seen as BMW 3 and 5 series competitors. I had high hopes for the wagon (sold as a Holden in Australia) but unfortunately Pontiac's death and the American market's dislike of wagons prevented its release in North America. I don't think the Zeta platform all that old, wasn't it introduced in 2006?
Actually, the article is talking about GM's new Alpha platform, which (according to the article) would form the basis of the next generation CTS, a smaller 3-Series offset, a new (and lighter) Camaro, and other vehicles. After my OP, I dug into this a bit deeper and learned (if you can believe what you read) that Alpha will be a versatile chassis in which steel or alloy components can be used depending on the price point of the car; the story goes that the Bimmer offset will appear in 2013 and 2015 will bring a new, lighter Camaro, with the SS variant powered by a turbo- or supercharged V-6. We'll see.

Also - you're right. The Zeta platform is not as old as I believed; I thought it was introduced in Autralia in 1999, but - according to Wikapedia - only development began that year. From what I've picked up, it's future - at least in the US - is shakey; weight is an issue and Caddy's engineers reportedly feel it's insufficiently sophisticated for serious competition with Bimmer, Mercedes, et. al. Who knows?

Anyway, I still look forward to a potential 3er alternative and, although I've now replaced the 'Speed, I think my wife would look great in a small, light and slick Camaro .

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
There is hope for you yet. If you had remembered Tim, and not Heidi, then we would be worried.
Thanks, Tom. I consoled myself with the same though .

Jer