Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2010, 10:37 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My upstair neighbor problems might be ending soon

I got a phone call just after I got up this morning, from an aunt living here in town.
My cousin has a long term lease on a small 1 bedroom country house house here.
The thing is, he lives in Saskatchewan. He's been subletting it out since he moved out there, 6 months ago.

Well, the person whom he was renting it to is moving on, so it's just been offered to me at a very affordable price.
When I got the call I wasn't sure about it, since it's an older house and not as nice as my place.
However the more that I thought about it the more I like the idea.

Like I said, it's an older, one bedroom house, with a full kitchen and bathroom... unlike my place which is around 10 years old, with hotplates and a shower in the washroom.
It has a nice little basement, which should be good as a studio My living room here is a studio however it's just too bright for some work
Plus the new (old) house has hardwood floors (my cousin is a floor layer, and did them himself), and a nice LARGE yard

After the problems I've had lately this might be the best part..... my closest neighbors are a couple of hundred...... YARDS Away
That's right, Yards, Not Feet.

Oddly enough I had to think about it most of the day. I would have said Yes immediately a week ago, however they've been good upstairs since then.
However, I hate moving so it was a tough decision.

It now looks like the place is mine. I can move in at the begin of next month.

I'm meeting up with my present LL tomorrow, so I guess that I'll have to break the news with her.
We've become friends over the 2+ years since I've moved in here, so it'll be tough telling her. However I think that we've both known for a while that it's almost time for me to move on.

Just a warning, if anyone comes up to visit me in the summer months. It isn't air conditioned. For me it doesn't really mater, since I'm used to the hot summers, however it might not be good for some people not used to the heat.

04-03-2010, 06:13 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Having the house to yourself would be a big improvement to an apartment. Of course now you will probably have the responsibility of lawn mowing, snow removal, etc.

It's hot enough there for AC? I never even turned mine on last year. A house with a full cellar stays much cooler in the summer months. My only need for AC is background noise. I work nights so I sleep late in the morning. A window AC unit running on fan drowns out the dogs and lawnmowers.
04-03-2010, 07:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Having the house to yourself would be a big improvement to an apartment. Of course now you will probably have the responsibility of lawn mowing, snow removal, etc.
There's a ride on lawnmower there for the lawn, which I'll need. However shoveling the driveway has me a little worried. I won't have to worry about it for several months though, and really never had to shovel this year anyways.
I'm a little more worried about anything breaking. In my present situation I just call the landlady and it gets fixed. Not every place is that easy around here.

QuoteQuote:
It's hot enough there for AC? I never even turned mine on last year. A house with a full cellar stays much cooler in the summer months.
I live in the hottest region of Canada, so yes there's a need for air conditioning. It shouldn't be too bad for just me though, if it gets too hot (which is usually just one or 2 weeks a year) I'll just move downstairs for a few days.
04-03-2010, 08:37 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Dude, weld a mini snow plough onto the lawnmower. Problem solved.

This thread is a bit disappointing. I thought you'd taken out a contract or something on your neighbour...

04-03-2010, 09:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If it was my mower I wouldn't hesitate welding anything on, however since I imagine it's my cousins I can't really.

Don't worry, if they pee me off enough I'll leave here Punk Rocker Style, and take pic's as I go
(Sorry Gus, your line is too good to pass up on)
04-03-2010, 06:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Dude, jump on it!!!!

Sounds like a golden opportunity. Your neigbours are behaving NOW, who knows what it's going to be like in 2 weeks (or 2 days?)

Pat
04-03-2010, 08:24 PM   #7
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote

I live in the hottest region of Canada, so yes there's a need for air conditioning. It shouldn't be too bad for just me though, if it gets too hot (which is usually just one or 2 weeks a year) I'll just move downstairs for a few days.
Son you don't know what hot is. Bless your heart.

04-03-2010, 11:47 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It's official, I'll be moving at the end of the month
I haven't been able to reach my present LL yet, since she was out of town until late, and I was with my gf. However I'll see her tomorrow, and break the news to her. I know that she'll understand.

QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
Dude, jump on it!!!!

Sounds like a golden opportunity. Your neigbours are behaving NOW, who knows what it's going to be like in 2 weeks (or 2 days?)

Pat
Thanks Pat
I'm still not on speaking terms with them, and feel that talking to them is a waste of breath anyways.

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Son you don't know what hot is. Bless your heart.
You may be right George, however our thermostats do often reach the top.
If you ever need to cool down a little your more than welcome to come on by for a while. I'm sure that I can make a little extra room for you and your family.
04-04-2010, 07:23 PM   #9
graphicgr8s

You may be right George, however our thermostats do often reach the top.
If you ever need to cool down a little your more than welcome to come on by for a while. I'm sure that I can make a little extra room for you and your family.
Sorry Stu. When I decide to go out of the US it's got to be Italy.
04-05-2010, 08:00 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does sound like a nice little place, Laker. There's always ways to attend to the heat-management.
04-05-2010, 06:55 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Sorry Stu. When I decide to go out of the US it's got to be Italy.
I don't blame you George,
With the exception of a lighting seminar I have no interest in visiting Texas.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Does sound like a nice little place, Laker. There's always ways to attend to the heat-management.
Thanks RML,

I told my LL about it yesterday, and met up with her twice today.
Although she'll miss me as a tenant she's happy for me and doesn't blame me at all.
She isn't listing my place for rent right away, and may not. She's thinking that it may be the best time to sell it.
I can't honestly say that we're parting as friends, there's actually a good t=chance that we'll become closer friends.
04-05-2010, 09:22 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here's my soon to be new home.

I had forgotten about the RV park being so close to it. The RV park owner is the owner of the house as well.
Like I said, it's small and older. It can honestly use a fresh coat of paint, which might just happen this summer if I have the time and energy to paint.
04-06-2010, 03:33 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Here's my soon to be new home.

I had forgotten about the RV park being so close to it. The RV park owner is the owner of the house as well.
Like I said, it's small and older. It can honestly use a fresh coat of paint, which might just happen this summer if I have the time and energy to paint.
Scroll behind the view with the map, that hot blonde chick in front of the house could be your new neighbor.
04-06-2010, 07:06 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Scroll behind the view with the map, that hot blonde chick in front of the house could be your new neighbor.
Sure, point her out, why not. Now my gf might read this post and force me to move
04-06-2010, 10:10 AM   #15
graphicgr8s

I don't blame you George,
With the exception of a lighting seminar I have no interest in visiting Texas.

I don't know if I'd go to Texas even for that. I mean Rupert lives there, how good could it be?