Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2010, 09:17 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New York Times: Video Shows American Killing of Photographer

Video Shows 2007 Air Attack in Baghdad That Killed Photographer - NYTimes.com

04-05-2010, 10:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

“One of the internet’s biggest sources of classified government information has released video of what it says is a US helicopter firing at civilians in Iraq.

WikiLeaks, a website that publishes anonymously sourced documents,released what it called previously unseen footage on Monday.

It said the footage filmed from a helicopter cockpit shows a missile strike and shooting on a crowded square in a Baghdad neighbourhood in July 2007.

The website said 12 civilians were killed in the attack, including two journalists, Namir Nour El Deen and Saeed Chmagh, who worked for the Reuters news agency."

Al Jazeera English - Americas - Video shows 'US attack' on Iraqis

Video shows deaths of two Reuters journalists in Iraq in 2007 - CNN.com
04-05-2010, 10:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The Al Jazeera story is much better than any other story I've seen the video attached to.
04-06-2010, 06:19 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Thread moved to General Talk... Even though there is a photographer involved, the linked story is more about the military and their actions than it is about photography.

Mike

04-06-2010, 06:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Have a feeling you might need to move this to the political section before long, Mike.
04-06-2010, 07:37 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I was thinking that the article would spur a discussion about combat photography, the risks/rewards, rules of conduct, etc... But, oh well...
04-06-2010, 07:52 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If any of our American friends still wonder as to why the US is so hated by the rest of the world then this is all you need to explain it. If you still don't 'get' it then ponder the following snatch of conversation between the pilots-

"Look at those dead bastards"

"Nice"

Has the penny dropped yet?

Where do they train these guys, the fairground?

Now I know there are plenty of good people in America but look at the shits for company they keep.

04-06-2010, 07:57 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Yep, here we go...
04-06-2010, 08:30 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Its possible that some of that is fabricated. Second, leaking military secrets/classified information and receiving it can be considered treason. Last of all, this thread should be taken to the the purgatory of PF.

Edit: Those guys don't sound military. They sound more like geeks in mama's basement on a video game. Plus, the helicopter would have to be hovering there.
04-06-2010, 08:56 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Its possible that some of that is fabricated. Second, leaking military secrets/classified information and receiving it can be considered treason. Last of all, this thread should be taken to the the purgatory of PF.

Edit: Those guys don't sound military. They sound more like geeks in mama's basement on a video game. Plus, the helicopter would have to be hovering there.
Wait, you really think this video is fabricated?

Wikileaks has a pretty extensive history of verifying their intel before making it public. Don't think they've ever been caught with their pants down.

The incident itself is understandable in the scope of wartime, if extremely unfortunate. I doubt there's a military in the world that hasn't done something similar at some point. The coverup is morally reprehensible.
04-06-2010, 09:00 AM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Wait, you really think this video is fabricated?

Wikileaks has a pretty extensive history of verifying their intel before making it public. Don't think they've ever been caught with their pants down.

The incident itself is understandable in the scope of wartime, if extremely unfortunate. I doubt there's a military in the world that hasn't done something similar at some point. The coverup is morally reprehensible.
I said its "possibly" fabricated or manipulated. Every hear of Hollywood? Its also possible that it was something else that happened prior to the arrival of the ground patrol. I find it unlikely that that video could have been made without the military picking up on their presence.

I didn't see the copters that hit the truck. I have news for you, Vietnam era copters would have decimated that scene in the first strikec and the van would have been decimated as well. I'm just saying there is something odd about it. There's some disconnect between it and the ground patrol as well. Its easy to start making allegations about a cover-up. There also seemed to be a disconnect on the Col.'s report of what happened and what is going on in the video. Plus, if you had ever been in the military, you'd know what I'm talking about.

Edit: Guess where I got the idea? (The question is rhetorical.) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3078704/

QuoteQuote:
© 2003 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters.

Last edited by Blue; 04-06-2010 at 09:21 AM.
04-06-2010, 09:46 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Should the press wear special markings that identify them as such? Like a large vest with a "P" on it?

Media Vests | PPAGLA.org

Would that somehow hinder their ability to photograph?
04-06-2010, 09:53 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Interesting thread here: hipinion.com • View topic - wikileaks leaks video of us military killing journalists

First page is mostly the typical "oh how horrible" responses, but on the second page some guys who have actually been on the ground in Iraq start weighing in and things get interesting/informative.
04-06-2010, 09:57 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Coincidentally: GOP Congressmen: Most Republicans Now Think Iraq War Was a Mistake | Cato @ Liberty
04-06-2010, 10:17 AM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote

How do you think those Predator drones work? Same thing, slightly better graphics.