Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2010, 05:45 AM   #46
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
I can't speak to the minutiae of economic policy, I'm not competent to do that.

But speaking from a broad general viewpoint...

... if there are economic institutions who in the course of doing business are making decisions that put in danger the entire economic system they are only a part of than it's perfectly reasonable to conclude that this behavior rises to an outstanding public concern.

If so there must be some way available to the public to step in and change this destructive behavior. If the only institution available is government intervention than so be it.

But than I'm not religious - that is a free market fundamentalist.
But it will be the government that determines who's to big to fail and there will be no way to contest it. That's the scary part. What happens when they decide they need to take over other industries "for the good of the nation"?
Am I the only one here with the brain power to see what the final outcome of this could be?

04-07-2010, 06:13 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
But it will be the government that determines who's to big to fail and there will be no way to contest it. That's the scary part. What happens when they decide they need to take over other industries "for the good of the nation"?
Am I the only one here with the brain power to see what the final outcome of this could be?
Actually, the plan is not to take over 'too big to fail' and keep the thing alive; it's to wind the operation down more efficiently than Lehmann. This would be safer to other market participants than the years long legal and trading process that comes with a regular bankrupcy such as Lehmann's.

The contagion to other industries would require further legistlation and is less likely. But applying this to, say, GM, the end result would be the same as it was -- except there is a crucial difference. Bankrupcy works better for a more traditional company such as GM. In the case of Lehmann, the mess left over from the interlocking off-balance-sheet over the counter repos and swaps, not to mention other such derivatives, is hindered by bankrupcy. Or that's the theory.

As such, maybe the proposal isn't all bad; it just doesn't actually address the underlying issues in any way.
04-07-2010, 08:02 AM   #48
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums

No George, you are not the only Chicken Little that sees the sky falling every time a Big Scary Black man casts a shadow or speaks a few words. You guys are delusional and suffer the worst possible case of paranoia possible. I'm surprised if you don't sleep with all the lights on, there is little in your world that doesn't scare the crap out of you. Reactionaries.......when FAX News tells you to quiver and shake, you do it! Good Lord! Can't you guys think for yourselves? Pathetic......
Beast Regards!
04-07-2010, 08:24 AM   #49
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
[/COLOR]

No George, you are not the only Chicken Little that sees the sky falling every time a Big Scary Black man casts a shadow or speaks a few words. You guys are delusional and suffer the worst possible case of paranoia possible. I'm surprised if you don't sleep with all the lights on, there is little in your world that doesn't scare the crap out of you. Reactionaries.......when FAX News tells you to quiver and shake, you do it! Good Lord! Can't you guys think for yourselves? Pathetic......
Beast Regards!
So in other words you libs don't have the brain power to see the end results of certain actions and where it more than likely will lead.

---------- Post added 04-07-2010 at 10:26 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Actually, the plan is not to take over 'too big to fail' and keep the thing alive; it's to wind the operation down more efficiently than Lehmann. This would be safer to other market participants than the years long legal and trading process that comes with a regular bankrupcy such as Lehmann's.

The contagion to other industries would require further legistlation and is less likely. But applying this to, say, GM, the end result would be the same as it was -- except there is a crucial difference. Bankrupcy works better for a more traditional company such as GM. In the case of Lehmann, the mess left over from the interlocking off-balance-sheet over the counter repos and swaps, not to mention other such derivatives, is hindered by bankrupcy. Or that's the theory.

As such, maybe the proposal isn't all bad; it just doesn't actually address the underlying issues in any way.
The problem is there is no redress. What Big Brother says goes. Obamarama is the next Hugo Chavez

04-07-2010, 08:28 AM   #50
Veteran Member

So in other words you libs don't have the brain power to see the end results of certain actions and where it more than likely will lead.
Oh no! We see clearly and were screaming at you guys for eight years of the pending disaster of Jesus George's bankrupt economic plan, his phony war, and his dismissal of the Constitution....where were you guys then? Just more proof that you only see what FAUX News wants you to see....and again, it is pathetic!
Regards!
04-07-2010, 08:30 AM   #51
graphicgr8s

Oh no! We see clearly and were screaming at you guys for eight years of the pending disaster of Jesus George's bankrupt economic plan, his phony war, and his dismissal of the Constitution....where were you guys then? Just more proof that you only see what FAUX News wants you to see....and again, it is pathetic!
Regards!
See? Again you were screaming at the wrong person even back then. No brain power on your side at all. You have no ability at all to see where a path leads.
04-07-2010, 06:03 PM   #52
Veteran Member

See? Again you were screaming at the wrong person even back then. No brain power on your side at all. You have no ability at all to see where a path leads.

Now that your boy Jesus George is a National and Worldwide disgrace to humanity, you want to claim you never knew him, just like your sickly Republican party, that you also say you are not affiliated with. Come on George, just own up to it, you are a Jesus George Conservative of the worst kind....the kind that denies who you really are when you think it is not in your favor. That is just plain cowardly.......stop it!
Regards!

04-07-2010, 06:43 PM   #53
Pentaxian

---------- Post added 04-07-2010 at 10:26 AM ----------

The problem is there is no redress. What Big Brother says goes. Obamarama is the next Hugo Chavez
Libs with brains? Oxymoron, or maybe just moron for short.

Obama the NEXT Hugo Chavez? Hell, he is his little brother. Two peas in a pod, twins, partners in crime.
A

---------- Post added 04-07-2010 at 08:48 PM ----------

Now that your boy Jesus George is a National and Worldwide disgrace to humanity, you want to claim you never knew him, just like your sickly Republican party, that you also say you are not affiliated with. Come on George, just own up to it, you are a Jesus George Conservative of the worst kind....the kind that denies who you really are when you think it is not in your favor. That is just plain cowardly.......stop it!
Regards!
To Quote Reagan, " There you go again". There is nothing like a radical liberal beating or trying to gnaw on a dead horse. You keep swinging until your mouth wears out. I bet you are a really thirsty person with all that frothing and spitting you do. Reminds me of an old toothless rabid dog I once saw. His mind was gone also.
A

Last edited by Artesian; 04-07-2010 at 06:52 PM.
04-07-2010, 07:34 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Artesian Quote
Libs with brains? Oxymoron, or maybe just moron for short.

Obama the NEXT Hugo Chavez? Hell, he is his little brother. Two peas in a pod, twins, partners in crime.
A

---------- Post added 04-07-2010 at 08:48 PM ----------

To Quote Reagan, " There you go again". There is nothing like a radical liberal beating or trying to gnaw on a dead horse. You keep swinging until your mouth wears out. I bet you are a really thirsty person with all that frothing and spitting you do. Reminds me of an old toothless rabid dog I once saw. His mind was gone also.
A

Sure! You guys want America to forget all about your "boy" and his eight years of ruining America, don't you! Almost all of our current problems are not from Obama or the Democrats, but from your sickly party and Jesus George and his band of criminals. Thomas Jefferson may no longer be in the History Books, but your boy George will forever be in them as the worst President in our history. Suck on that a while and tell me if it tastes like the lemon he handed America.
Beast Regards!
04-07-2010, 07:41 PM   #55
Pentaxian

Sure! You guys want America to forget all about your "boy" and his eight years of ruining America, don't you! Almost all of our current problems are not from Obama or the Democrats, but from your sickly party and Jesus George and his band of criminals. Thomas Jefferson may no longer be in the History Books, but your boy George will forever be in them as the worst President in our history. Suck on that a while and tell me if it tastes like the lemon he handed America.
Beast Regards!
Beast Regards,

Oh, I already said that. Oh well just taking a note from your playbook. Just keep beating, gnawing it and it will might make an impression.............Not
A
04-07-2010, 08:58 PM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Artesian Quote
Beast Regards,

Oh, I already said that. Oh well just taking a note from your playbook. Just keep beating, gnawing it and it will might make an impression.............Not
A

Damn that truth hits you boys hard doesn't it! You like to quote your old tired worn out guy Reagan as if he was some sort of savior, when in fact he was the one that started this deficit spending cycle that has led to our demise. You guys also like to credit him with "bringing down the Soviet Union", when in fact Historians give him almost no credit for such a thing....even right wing Historians admit it. Mostly he just slept a lot and rambled as he put America in debt. Now if you want a really popular President, check out where your old tired guy ranks below Bill Clinton....that should be fun to Google, and give you a brand new ulcer in the process! If you can find any positive facts about your party, try to use them....the crapola you have been trying to sell here just doesn't cut it.
Beast Regards!
04-09-2010, 07:13 AM   #57
Site Supporter

In an attempt to return to the OP.

Too big to fail is an example of how the wingers get things wrong. (both wings)

It should have stated TOO BIG TO JAIL!
The cost to prosecute everyone involved would have cost more than the bailout!

Now if we can just find a way to regulate them. things will improve.
Once again, the way to do that is to first eliminate lobbies. (PACs)
If we don't take that step.........It WILL happen all over again.
04-09-2010, 07:51 AM   #58
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shooz Quote
In an attempt to return to the OP.

Too big to fail is an example of how the wingers get things wrong. (both wings)

It should have stated TOO BIG TO JAIL!
The cost to prosecute everyone involved would have cost more than the bailout!

Now if we can just find a way to regulate them. things will improve.
Once again, the way to do that is to first eliminate lobbies. (PACs)
If we don't take that step.........It WILL happen all over again.
Shooz, I cant believe I'm going to say this but [deep breath] you are absolutely right. If it had been a single, privately held bank or investment firm that had pulled that crap, somebody would have gone to jail. As it was a wide spread conspiracy, with Government complicity, or at very least acquiescence, there wasn't much else that could be done.
04-09-2010, 08:03 AM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Shooz, I cant believe I'm going to say this but [deep breath] you are absolutely right. If it had been a single, privately held bank or investment firm that had pulled that crap, somebody would have gone to jail. As it was a wide spread conspiracy, with Government complicity, or at very least acquiescence, there wasn't much else that could be done.

So we do see complicity that helped fuel the greed and led to the destruction of trillions of dollars of hard working American investments. How is it that the Supremes (on the right) saw fit to overturn over a hundred years of prior rulings and give Corporations almost equal power with our elected representatives? Does anyone really think this will give us better representation? Does anyone think this will lessen the corruption that is rampant in our system?
I don't hear much real squealing over it from the right or left...each side believing they can use it to their advantage, but where does that leave "Average Joe"? A government of Corporate hired hands is not to my benefit......is it to yours....right or left?
Best Regards!
04-09-2010, 08:10 AM   #60
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

So we do see complicity that helped fuel the greed and led to the destruction of trillions of dollars of hard working American investments. How is it that the Supremes (on the right) saw fit to overturn over a hundred years of prior rulings and give Corporations almost equal power with our elected representatives? Does anyone really think this will give us better representation? Does anyone think this will lessen the corruption that is rampant in our system?
I don't hear much real squealing over it from the right or left...each side believing they can use it to their advantage, but where does that leave "Average Joe"? A government of Corporate hired hands is not to my benefit......is it to yours....right or left?
Best Regards!

Any more questions?
Closed Thread