Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2010, 01:16 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Obama calls nuclear strategy 'significant step'

President Barack Obama on Tuesday vowed to constrain the use of the nation's Cold War-era nuclear arsenal, in a bold but politically risky move aimed at discouraging the technology from spreading.

Well I sure feel safer. How about you?
A

04-06-2010, 02:03 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Actually I do.
04-06-2010, 02:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Yep, its a good thing to set an example.
04-06-2010, 02:44 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Yet another foolish, "progressive", feel-good move by the Administration, this time limiting our official list of possible responses to a devastating attack. Does this not increase the likelihood of such an attack? Thanks a lot, Mr. President.

04-06-2010, 02:54 PM   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
Yet another foolish, "progressive", feel-good move by the Administration, this time limiting our official list of possible responses to a devastating attack. Does this not increase the likelihood of such an attack? Thanks a lot, Mr. President.
I see it that way too, shiner. Being the eternal optimist that I am though (oh, what!? ), I would like to think that he would instantly, if necessary, reverse his ridiculous policy.
04-06-2010, 02:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

What does retaliation matter if the USA is nuked? Revenge?
04-06-2010, 03:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
What does retaliation matter if the USA is nuked? Revenge?
An end to global warming, we'll have nuclear winter instead, and Oh Boy won't we put them 4x4's to good use then. Show them Europeans what a real truck can do.

04-06-2010, 03:06 PM   #8
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Mostly a political maneuver, with little actual significance. Your fears are ridiculously unfounded. One nuclear armed submarine can take out an entire country....any country.....do a little research and see how many we have. Don't look for us to be defenseless anytime soon...like in your lifetime. Just another reason to Obama bash.....nothing more. Obama is just Black...not stupid.
Regards!
04-06-2010, 03:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Artesian Quote
Cold War-era nuclear arsenal,
A
Does that old stuff even work anymore? Imagine all the billions spent to babysit all those aging missle silos. I agree with Rupert. Just one nuclear sub can get the job done of all those vintage nukes combined. New nukes are not your fathers nukes.

Larry

---------- Post added 04-06-2010 at 04:33 PM ----------

I just read about this proposal and I have may have misunderstood this thread. Still, we can all sleep well at night knowing that we can still kill. Maybe not just 100 times dead, but that's splitting hairs.

"In 2009, the Bulletin of Atomic Scientists estimated the U.S. nuclear stockpile at 5,200 nuclear bombs, including 2,200 operational, long-range strategic weapons.

The new treaty to be signed Thursday by the United States and Russia will limit each country to 1,550 strategic warheads, 700 deployed strategic delivery vehicles and 800 deployed and nondeployed strategic launchers, according to the Pentagon.

All U.S. Intercontinental Ballistic Missiles will be limited to a single warhead, according the Pentagon, "to increase stability."
04-06-2010, 06:47 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by larryinlc Quote
All U.S. Intercontinental Ballistic Missiles will be limited to a single warhead, according the Pentagon, "to increase stability."
[/B]

It will.

Do you know what an 'MIRB bus' is?

One mistaken launch, seven thermonuclear bombs, seven cities.
04-06-2010, 08:17 PM   #11
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
It will.

Do you know what an 'MIRB bus' is?

One mistaken launch, seven thermonuclear bombs, seven cities.
Well I didn't know what it was. And neither does google.
04-06-2010, 09:03 PM   #12
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Well I didn't know what it was. And neither does google.

Well, don't ask for help over in that evolution thread...not a damn one of those guys can Google....they've been trying to find that lizard for two weeks and still no luck! Someone will find a new "Missing Link" before they locate that famous lizard.......
Regards!
04-06-2010, 09:13 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Pardon if I got the spelling wrong, or, if Google didn't exist before your attention span.

I mean, if you wanna complain about your taxes, we're surely *still* paying GE for the infernal things. You were probably screaming for em at the time, and you don't even know what it is.

Point. Yes, lots of warheads, single boost vehicle, ... Not stability.

What's so *hard* about that?

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 04-06-2010 at 09:20 PM.
04-06-2010, 10:55 PM   #14

If we reduced the number of nukes we have from however many we have to as low as couple hundred, that's still more than enough to turn any other country in the world into a giant parking lot.

Do I feel safer? Maybe not. Less safe? Definitely not.

And I believe RML means MIRV bus. It's an ICBM that carries multiple warheads. Launch a couple of those, and we have ourselves a barbecue
04-06-2010, 11:11 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Thanks, Petey.

But that was yesterday's Armageddon, wasn't it?

Eh?
Closed Thread