Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2010, 06:58 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
If you have something more than simple skepticism to the contrary, than please share..
Really? There are dozens of articles out there that are highly skeptical of the WSJ claims, etc. Here's one. Google for the rest.

The skeptical view on the Verizon iPhone - InternetNews:The Blog - Andy Patrizio

Verizon may very well turn on LTE 4G in a number of cities, but that doesn't mean the carrying capacity for their entire user base will be there. That's what's confusing to most people:

"Available in X cities" is not the same thing as "all our users on that technology."

Carrying capacity will remain limited as Verizon is forced to load-balance existing accounts/handsets with new tech handsets. It's tricky carrying off that kind of transition.

04-07-2010, 08:39 PM   #17
Veteran Member

All I know is there are millions of Verizon users who would jump all over the iPhone if it weren't for AT&T's shitty network, myself being one of them.

If profit is a motive at all for Apple, they'll find a way to make a CDMA version.
04-07-2010, 10:29 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
Really? There are dozens of articles out there that are highly skeptical of the WSJ claims, etc. Here's one. Google for the rest.

The skeptical view on the Verizon iPhone - InternetNews:The Blog - Andy Patrizio

Verizon may very well turn on LTE 4G in a number of cities, but that doesn't mean the carrying capacity for their entire user base will be there. That's what's confusing to most people:

"Available in X cities" is not the same thing as "all our users on that technology."

Carrying capacity will remain limited as Verizon is forced to load-balance existing accounts/handsets with new tech handsets. It's tricky carrying off that kind of transition.
The link you provided debunked the WSJ idea of a CDMA iPhone in 2010, not an LTE iPhone in 2011.

As of now, Verizon is on-schedule. They said that they'd launch LTE pilots in two left-coast/right-coast cities in 2009. They did in Seattle and Boston in August and have seen peak download speeds of 40-50 megabits per second.

Their next target is 25-30 metro areas by the end of the year. And by their own account, they are not promising a complete switchover. As a matter of fact, they are claiming that the initial launch will be data only - wireless cards and whatnot. They are not promising LTE voice this year.

When they are finally ready to support voice over LTE in 2011, then they will have to wait until customers trade in their old CDMA phones for new LTE phones, so in reality they'll have to run dual systems for a number of years. But to their advantage, they won't have to provide LTE capacity for an entire city, just the percentage of customers with LTE handsets.

It's a marketing sleight of hand, but if they've got a shoestring LTE network in 30 metro areas by the end of the year, they will claim to be LTE for the entire metro area and promote that fancy 100 million number when in fact the number of people with LTE handsets in that footprint will be considerably lower. And just like they do now, they'll work to match build-out with need.

Like I said, I'll wait and see if they hit their targets. But can you think of a better way to launch the next generation cell network than with the iPhone? That's a marketing goldmine - there will be a stampede.
05-10-2010, 11:20 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Verizon iPhone chatter is getting harder (than usual) to ignore -- Engadget

05-10-2010, 11:40 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I caved and got a iPhone 3Gs 16Gb for $200 (one-day special) and $30 a month data from AT&T on a 2-year contract. Working out the math, that's about $40/month incl. taxes all in.

My AT&T Service has been nothing but perfect - no complaints at all, but . . .

Quite a lot of money for a lousy PIM, Calendar and email service that don't interact well, but the device sure makes me look like one cool dude.

I'm swapping this with my daughter for her Blackberry Curve as soon as she gets home from college next week.
05-13-2010, 01:22 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Wow .. and I thought Australia was hobbled with the few providers for iPhone ... but I didn't realise it was a Monopoly in the US when it comes to the iPhone.

At least here there are 3 main providers ... with a few others that are like sub-providers under the main 3.
10-06-2010, 12:22 PM   #22
Veteran Member

ruh roh: WSJ: Verizon to sell iPhone in 2011, fifth generation iPhone is in the works -- Engadget

10-06-2010, 12:50 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'll believe it when I see it. I don't consider John Gruber the most credible of sources. Especially after he started gushing about Windows Phone 7. I still think it highly unlikely that the iPhone will be on any other US carrier before 2012.
10-06-2010, 03:26 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Reviews of Windows Phone 7 so far have been very positive in general. Wouldn't take that as an indicator of anything.
10-07-2010, 08:21 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

More Verizon iPhone: no dual-mode, V Cast an early barrier | Electronista

A lot of words that mean iPhone isn't going to be on Verizon anytime soon.
10-07-2010, 08:57 AM   #26
Veteran Member

That's not really how it read to me.
10-07-2010, 10:43 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There are technical issues (voice over EVDO), there won't be an LTE phone for a while, and the V-Cast issue. There is no way Apple compromises on that issue. Apple is in the drivers seat in any negotiations. 5 or 6 years ago, when Apple was shopping the iPhone around, Verizon told them to take a walk. Now Apple has the smart phone with the highest market share, even though it is only on one carrier. Android is taking market share, but not from Apple, they are taking it from Black Berry and Windows Mobile. AT&T is growing and Verizon is stagnant. I don't believe for a second that any of these rumors is coming from Apple, all the rumors are coming straight from Verizon. There is also the matter of the 5 year exclusive contract with AT&T. That isn't up until 2012.
10-13-2010, 06:51 AM   #28
Veteran Member

CDMA iPhone rumored for India as exclusivities end in Germany and Holland -- Engadget
10-13-2010, 07:26 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
By the time Verizon rolls out it's LTE network, sometime around the middle of the decade, Apple will have moved on.
LTE is the next next technology that all carriers are going to. Unless Apple is deploying its own network, I think it will march along with everyone else.

I'm not sure what the appeal of the iPhone over Android is at this point however. For people invested in other Apple products, it probably has integration features, but for usability, I don't see much difference, pluses and minuses for choosing either. I would just go with whatever carrier has the better network where you will be using your phone most. This rule of thumb hasn't changed since 1995, except when the blackberry and the iphone changed how people used the networks. It pretty much has reached equilibrium again, IMO and now is more about how much is it going to cost.

Thank you
Russell
10-17-2010, 03:55 PM   #30
Banned

QuoteQuote:
Verizon iPhone’s release date is slated for somewhere between January 2011 and March 2011 – although nothing is set in stone as Apple and Verizon have both been quiet about the rumors (as usual.) However, Verizon will begin selling the iPad on October 28. Many look at this as a possible indication that the Verizon iPhone is just right around the corner.
It’s no secret that Apple is working on a CDMA handset for their popular iPhone device. However, there are many carriers particularly in Asia that utilize this type of network. Just because a CDMA iphone is in development, doesn’t mean that a Verizon iPhone is imminent.
However, the rumors are numerous and there’s much indication that consumers want the handset on the Verizon network. The recent “antennagate” scandal was less bothersome to consumers than the lack of carrier options when it comes to the handset.
AT&T has been criticized as a sub-par network. However, there’s some indication that the iPhone will become available on the Verizon network in the foreseeable future. You can watch the video below about the Verizon iPhone.
http://www.adannews.com/16591/video-verizon-iphone-release-date/