Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2010, 12:11 AM   #1096
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cosmicap Quote
I picked up our old MZ5 today. Sitting sadly on the shelf, ignored for a couple of years. Batteries dead.- sigh. Couldn't find anywhere in town that sold CR2s. Sunday arvo so only the supermarkets were open. Amongst the racks and racks of AAs and AAAs there was.................absolutely nothing else. Not so long ago CR2 was a reasonably ordinary size. It did remind me what a lovely, able, light weight, joy in the hand, little camera the MZ 5 was. I may have to put a roll of film through for old time's sake.
I might just get it developed and scan the negs with my nifty little film scanner rather than go broke getting prints like in "the old days". Pick out any that deserve a proper print. I love digital for saving paper. It used to be so rarely I'd the prints back "from the chemist" and there would something worthy of keeping. That's not to say I didn't keep them but I have boxes of paper prints in the shed. Ah, each one a precious memory!
Back to my rave about LiIon: are they better now than they were 10 years ago? Or are they just as short lived and expensive? Or did I just have a bad run with my Mavica? Is there any one out there who would like to spruik the benefits of Lithium?
hi

sorry to hear about your camera's battery problem but there are certain solutions there:

1. from now on, try cameras that can use both types of battery, dedicated AS WELL AS regular AA or whatever other "regular" battery to be found out there for the next millennia or two!

examples of such cameras: practically any that comes with a battery grip too, as there are regular AA (or other size) battery adapters available for them too.

one good Pentax example: the K-7 (which is also a fabulous camera btw, probably the best in APS-C sensor size format ever delivered by the company.)

or i guess K20D ought to be like that as well as it comes with an optional battery / vertical grip too. (i don't own K20D so i'm not sure how right or wrong i may be in stating that, but as for K-7, i know what i'm talking about in here.)

2. try cameras that use AA (or other "regular" size) batteries ONLY.

one perfect example by Pentax in that regard: the K-x.

K-x is K-7's 'mini' version, or younger sister / brother whatever. (in a few areas it is even superior to K-7 believe it or not! and it also has a steel chasis albeit inside a fully plastic body. K-7 is steel inside and magnesium alloy outside: a real tank! also a sealed weather resistant body, which makes it unbeatable as it can work in extreme temperatures no other camera in its class can at this moment, even at prices much higher! and the goodies about this little wonder don't end just there either!)

K-x also comes in fancy color versions too of course, as well as a 'regular' professional looking Black body. and don't bother if you read or hear here or there that "K-x is an amateurs camera" or "K-7 is semi-pro" whatever: those remarks are only partially true as both of these cameras, especially the K-7, provide the photographer with more than enough 'pro tools' to do seriously professional photography! (the K-7 even has many other 'dedicated' features at this moment that no other camera offers you, even at prices many times that of the K-7!)

and last but not least: photographer makes the 'pro picture' not the camera!

(also, if you can afford it, why not go for one of the best / cheapest / most special cameras by Pentax (or anyone) at this moment: the wonderful 40MP 645D. man, as i've already stated it elsewhere, i'm sure this forum's special prize is going to be either the 645D, or the K-7 Silver Limited edition, both of which i'm surely going to win even if i'm not elected at this contest! )

however, film is no longer economical when compared to digital these days, although i'd still go for some film shooting with certain jobs if i could afford to have a good film camera, which is rather a too rare item these days as barely any manufacturer, Pentax in particular, comes up with a latest film camera model in the professional, or even semi-professional range.

3. try 'adapting' other types of battery with the old camera, BUT!

BUT, "never try this at home" unless you're sure about what you're doing!

even in the good old film-only cameras era, there were certain electronic models that used special types of batteries. sometimes, the batteries were not hard to find at all but not cheap either!

one such type of battery that i can remember now, was the one used in Canon A series cameras. you could find it anywhere, even in most drug stores all over the world but it was rather too costly.

that battery was 4.5V if i recall it right and its height was exactly three times that of the much cheaper 1.5V LR44 batteries, another widely available battery (even today) and also used in the fabulous Pentax MX cameras as well as many others from other manufacturers. in fact, the one used in the Canon cameras (what was the battery's name and size specs?) did actually use 3 x 1.5V LR44 size batteries inside a fancy metal shell.

now, photographers had come up with a good hack in this regard: they purchased three much less costly LR44 batteries, wrapped it with some kind of a fine cardboard material (there were even such cardboard tubes available in most camera stores at the time for exactly the same purpose) and then they put the three batteries wrapped in a makeshift shell inside the camera's battery chamber and presto ... (some stores actually sold you that particular battery only in the form just mentioned: 3 * LR44s wrapped inside the cardboard shell without any fancy prints on it.)

maybe that was why most companies came up with odd voltage / amperage batteries (with even odd-er shapes!) for later camera models, but if you're truly willing to give it a try, especially on a camera that's already 'dead enough' not to make you upset in case you might fry its circuitry for the start of a test, then go ahead and work out a way to feed your old beloved electronic camera(s) with the 'right' type of "modified battery" or any other power source to go in it.

please remember: although PSU is porbably the most sensitive part in all highly advanced and computerized systems today, no one says slightly lower or higher voltage *** given it is at the or right, close to right amperage *** can truly harm the device; (and especially when you're not going to abuse the device professionally by taking so many shots on any particular session. just remove the 'new' battery when the camera's not in use -to avoid leakage- and everything ought to be set.)

4. search the Internet for the 'right' type of battery, or some equivalent that works.

there are certainly other people with exactly the same (or similar) type of camera to the one you have and with the same problem too.

sometimes you can find really working advice or examples or even replacement power sources for the exact device of importance to you, namely your little Pentax MZ-5 camera mentioned in here.

hope this helps and good luck with your quest in finding a workable solution for your 'not dead enough' camera!

Last edited by penties rider; 04-18-2010 at 12:25 AM. Reason: typo etc
04-18-2010, 12:35 AM   #1097
Veteran Member

He would have sure got a lot of points if he had posted that in another board.
04-18-2010, 05:56 AM   #1098
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How long still to wait the camera K-x?
04-18-2010, 06:29 AM   #1099

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by penties rider Quote
hi

sorry to hear about your camera's battery problem but there are certain solutions there:

1. from now on, try cameras that can use both types of battery, dedicated AS WELL AS regular AA or whatever other "regular" battery to be found out there for the next millennia or two!

examples of such cameras: practically any that comes with a battery grip too, as there are regular AA (or other size) battery adapters available for them too.

one good Pentax example: the K-7 (which is also a fabulous camera btw, probably the best in APS-C sensor size format ever delivered by the company.)

or i guess K20D ought to be like that as well as it comes with an optional battery / vertical grip too. (i don't own K20D so i'm not sure how right or wrong i may be in stating that, but as for K-7, i know what i'm talking about in here.)

2. try cameras that use AA (or other "regular" size) batteries ONLY.

one perfect example by Pentax in that regard: the K-x.

K-x is K-7's 'mini' version, or younger sister / brother whatever. (in a few areas it is even superior to K-7 believe it or not! and it also has a steel chasis albeit inside a fully plastic body. K-7 is steel inside and magnesium alloy outside: a real tank! also a sealed weather resistant body, which makes it unbeatable as it can work in extreme temperatures no other camera in its class can at this moment, even at prices much higher! and the goodies about this little wonder don't end just there either!)

K-x also comes in fancy color versions too of course, as well as a 'regular' professional looking Black body. and don't bother if you read or hear here or there that "K-x is an amateurs camera" or "K-7 is semi-pro" whatever: those remarks are only partially true as both of these cameras, especially the K-7, provide the photographer with more than enough 'pro tools' to do seriously professional photography! (the K-7 even has many other 'dedicated' features at this moment that no other camera offers you, even at prices many times that of the K-7!)

and last but not least: photographer makes the 'pro picture' not the camera!

(also, if you can afford it, why not go for one of the best / cheapest / most special cameras by Pentax (or anyone) at this moment: the wonderful 40MP 645D. man, as i've already stated it elsewhere, i'm sure this forum's special prize is going to be either the 645D, or the K-7 Silver Limited edition, both of which i'm surely going to win even if i'm not elected at this contest! )

however, film is no longer economical when compared to digital these days, although i'd still go for some film shooting with certain jobs if i could afford to have a good film camera, which is rather a too rare item these days as barely any manufacturer, Pentax in particular, comes up with a latest film camera model in the professional, or even semi-professional range.

3. try 'adapting' other types of battery with the old camera, BUT!

BUT, "never try this at home" unless you're sure about what you're doing!

even in the good old film-only cameras era, there were certain electronic models that used special types of batteries. sometimes, the batteries were not hard to find at all but not cheap either!

one such type of battery that i can remember now, was the one used in Canon A series cameras. you could find it anywhere, even in most drug stores all over the world but it was rather too costly.

that battery was 4.5V if i recall it right and its height was exactly three times that of the much cheaper 1.5V LR44 batteries, another widely available battery (even today) and also used in the fabulous Pentax MX cameras as well as many others from other manufacturers. in fact, the one used in the Canon cameras (what was the battery's name and size specs?) did actually use 3 x 1.5V LR44 size batteries inside a fancy metal shell.

now, photographers had come up with a good hack in this regard: they purchased three much less costly LR44 batteries, wrapped it with some kind of a fine cardboard material (there were even such cardboard tubes available in most camera stores at the time for exactly the same purpose) and then they put the three batteries wrapped in a makeshift shell inside the camera's battery chamber and presto ... (some stores actually sold you that particular battery only in the form just mentioned: 3 * LR44s wrapped inside the cardboard shell without any fancy prints on it.)

maybe that was why most companies came up with odd voltage / amperage batteries (with even odd-er shapes!) for later camera models, but if you're truly willing to give it a try, especially on a camera that's already 'dead enough' not to make you upset in case you might fry its circuitry for the start of a test, then go ahead and work out a way to feed your old beloved electronic camera(s) with the 'right' type of "modified battery" or any other power source to go in it.

please remember: although PSU is porbably the most sensitive part in all highly advanced and computerized systems today, no one says slightly lower or higher voltage *** given it is at the or right, close to right amperage *** can truly harm the device; (and especially when you're not going to abuse the device professionally by taking so many shots on any particular session. just remove the 'new' battery when the camera's not in use -to avoid leakage- and everything ought to be set.)

4. search the Internet for the 'right' type of battery, or some equivalent that works.

there are certainly other people with exactly the same (or similar) type of camera to the one you have and with the same problem too.

sometimes you can find really working advice or examples or even replacement power sources for the exact device of importance to you, namely your little Pentax MZ-5 camera mentioned in here.

hope this helps and good luck with your quest in finding a workable solution for your 'not dead enough' camera!
Thank you Penties Rider: You've convinced me. It's nearly Monday and I'll go to town and buy two CR2s at the camera shop, which will be open.
As for LiIon....

04-18-2010, 09:07 AM   #1100

Great Event !
04-18-2010, 09:17 AM   #1101
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mario Benevides Quote
Great Event !
Yes it is a great even but one does need to read all the print to understand that one has to post a real message. I get the impression that a very short one line post does not gain as many points toward winning one of the prizes. Plus they give or take points for content of the post as well. Finally, if you check the leader board, I feel I would have to post constantly for days to be able catch up to the leader or even 2nd or 3rd place. That is what I find discouraging about this contest. And it really is a contest, perhaps one of who has the fastest internet and type the fastest and is willing to spend a great deal of their time placing posts on the forum. I like the forum and find it informative but just can not spend all my time posting so I could have a possibility of winning a new camera. Winning the contest would be nice but I do not believe I have much of a chance at the win.
04-18-2010, 09:51 AM   #1102

Oh yes!

Super duper

04-18-2010, 03:10 PM   #1103
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes! 1 000 000
04-18-2010, 03:26 PM   #1104
Forum Member

When will we have custom colors for the K-x in North America?
04-19-2010, 02:29 AM   #1105
Veteran Member

As of right now there are exactly (ish) 5,000 posts until we hit the million mark! Looks like we've got this contest until next Sunday.
04-19-2010, 03:45 AM   #1106
Veteran Member

Yes, another 5K posts to go.

I do agree that it is a great event by the Organiser. One really need to read all the rules and regulations to understand that one needs to post messages. To my understanding, a very short one liner does not gain as many points and may incur penalty too. In addition to that the organiser give or take points for content of the post as well.

At this moment, if you check the leader board, IMO, I would have to post a minimum of 350 posts daily to be able catch up to the leader. I believe the one who is willingly to spend most of their time posting on the forum may get a chance to be in contention. Alas, that is not for me. I just cannot foresee myself spending most of my time posting so taht I will have a chance to be the top 3 position and a possibility of winning.

I like the forum because it is informative on all items relating to Pentax.
04-19-2010, 04:09 AM   #1107

It is really worth to take part in this contest, so I'm in. Good luck for all of You
04-19-2010, 05:07 AM   #1108
Veteran Member

u'r welcome cosmicap! (and sorry for the long / boring post ...)

---------- Post added 04-19-2010 at 04:09 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by yoshizuki Quote
When will we have custom colors for the K-x in North America?
there are Black, White, Navy and Red K-x bodies available in NA already but apparently there are a lot more colors available in Japan ...
04-19-2010, 06:09 AM   #1109

Question

So how close do you guys reckon Pentax forums is until they reach their million post? I think maybe in a couple of days?
04-19-2010, 06:40 AM   #1110
Inactive Account

In for 3. Lets go 1,000,000! What will the prize be for 2,000,000 posts? Full Frame camera or some bad ass lenses?
Closed Thread