Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2010, 02:29 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
But don't laugh too hard at cables boys, even studios are using pricey audiophile wires now. Wires affect the Q and tonality of system, they're the finishing touch. I couldn't upgrade any of the components in my main system for $500, so spending that much on a cable that improves the sound is worthwhile to me. For someone else it could be a huge waste.

I don't plan on upgrading anything else in my audio system. Photography has become my main interest now.
QuoteOriginally posted by VaughnA Quote
Considering the test where coat hangers sounded as good as monster cables. I'll go get some 12 gauge speaker wire at Radio Shack and be happy.

Don't get me started on high end digital cables..
The longer the wires get, the more they influence the audio signal. Some things are simple facts: the higher the frequency, the more of it is transported on the surface of the conductor. Thus, a lead with many fine wires inside will have a larger surface area, which is beneficial to the higher frequencies. On the other hand, the low frequencies will consume a lot of power. And to transport that power between amp and speakers you need a large diameter cable, to minimise losses.

This all is less hearable at low output and short distances, but gets more important if you pump up the volume or have to increase cable lengthes. Loudspeaker cables are, in my own experience the connections, where an improvement (or a poor cable) is most prominent, due to the high currents.

This does not mean, that cables need to be very expensive, they just need to be well thought-out and matched to components and the environment.

Ben

04-09-2010, 02:54 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
NAIM System

My wife has a NAIM system plus a pair of Royd speakers. Only recienly has by camera gear exceeded the price of her toys. I never believed in the whole "You can hear the difference", but I completely changed the type of music I like, if you can splurge go for it.

Only recienly has by camera gear exceeded the price of her toys. (Though she also spins so that is expensive too).
04-09-2010, 03:11 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

But don't laugh too hard at cables boys, even studios are using pricey audiophile wires now.
That's only because a lot of people who don't know much can now afford a studio. How many people with a "studio" are trained in electronics, acoustics and audio engineering?
04-09-2010, 05:37 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Still running my old mid 80`s JBL`s on my surround system.
My new motto is "When you get too old to hear it, just turn it up till you feel it".

Cheers, Mike.

(30+ years of working on electronics, I am like "a plumber at home with a leaking faucet".).

04-09-2010, 06:07 PM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
They cannot reveal every detail of the music. They cannot kick absolute bass end butt. But they are so lovely.
Just like Bose! Except for the "lovely" bit.

Photography has become my main interest now.
Same here.

Considering the test where coat hangers sounded as good as monster cables
Just because it was called a "test" the results need not be valid.

Don't get me started on high end digital cables..
Don't get me started either.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
I used Grado systems in my old Thorens turntable, which one day (after several years of negligence by me) broke down completely.
Hey, I had a Thorens as well. And a "positive scanning" Decca cartridge. The latter was quite something. Sounded a lot more live than anything else I've tried (including Grado). All history now.

That's only because a lot of people who don't know much can now afford a studio.
Perhaps it is also because now people care more than they used to? The old Marantz techie didn't care for cables either but was he right?
To seek the best possible sound reproduction, I wouldn't go to a studio anyhow. Only for the room treatment but in terms of gear these guys have other concerns than audiophiles do.
04-09-2010, 06:10 PM   #51
Veteran Member

I grew up with homemade Hi-Fi and later Stereo bi-amped & tri-amped systems; can't stand to hear music played on any less than full range system. May be my musician training of my ears/brain. Built some nested boxes with sand filling in-between like Wharfdales, with Wharfdale drivers and horns made from battleship megaphone drivers (no kidding!) attached to custom planed wooden horns. In early 90s didn't like current new loudspeaker systems that didn't require a mortgage, didn't like most of those either, a local store had some JBL L100 I bought eight of them for peanuts, two stacks of four high powered by 4 Audiosource 80W RMS/ch (conservative), now I'm down to two stacks of two L100, the bottom pair used for bass only.

I love the warm high-energy sound of tube amplifiers, now I use solid state for clean power.

Louspeakers are the weakest link in the audio chain, with microphones weakest link at the other end; imho, quality of all the equipment in-between matters little, provided there's enough power for the loudspeaker system.

Audiophile addiction shares much with Photography addiction, similar draw, boys of any age (including females) like to play with their toys. The physics are similar, acoustic & optics are wave phenomena.
04-09-2010, 06:11 PM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
Some things are simple facts: the higher the frequency, the more of it is transported on the surface of the conductor.
Can one not show that the "skin effect" is negligible for audio frequencies? It is relevant for high radio frequency circuits but for loudspeaker cables I believe the dominant factor for damping highs is the bad inductance of straight wires which is why better cables have a twisted strand arrangement.

04-09-2010, 06:16 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Cables - back in the day I tried a few and yes there are differences. But then, the longevity is a different matter - some of the constructions make the joints to the plugs wear out.

But, on a brighter note: How about combining hobbies?

I have a couple of Grados etc, but have been running a Shure V15MR on the Sondek for some years, convenient and decent enough. The stylus makes an excellent target for a Tamron 52bb (the gunk on the cartridge is some dyi damping I applied a loooong time ago)

04-09-2010, 06:34 PM   #54
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
And away we go.

I'll be happy with what I have. I'll let the 'audiophiles' go at it;-)
04-10-2010, 04:08 AM   #55
Veteran Member

My first thread on this GT forum was about high end car stereo equioment and RML was one of the first(if not the first to respond) last year. I got the help I was looking for and my pickup truck is still rockin and rollin with old Rockford Fosgate punch amplifiers pushing Infinity subs and tweets.......so I am like you....I love the quality of the old stuff! I did the car audio thing in the 80's. BTW my dad has upgraded his equipment and has old Onkyo stuff in his garage trying to unload it onto me. Some parts aint workin...if interested let me know....I think the amplifier is still going strong.......
04-10-2010, 05:36 AM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Perhaps it is also because now people care more than they used to?
No. It is the opposite.

When I was first in studios in the eighties everyone cared about sound and had a great deal of training on the gear. People listened more and had higher expectations. Everyone knew what 30ips tape sounded like at its best and knew that vinyl and cassette delivery mechanisms were a horrible compromise.

Now anyone can have a studio merely by buying the gear, without any understanding, without any training and without any ability to listen. I wouldn't go to any Joe down the road to get my teeth pulled and wouldn't go to any Bob down the alley to master my record.
04-10-2010, 07:13 AM   #57
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
No. It is the opposite.

When I was first in studios in the eighties everyone cared about sound and had a great deal of training on the gear. People listened more and had higher expectations. Everyone knew what 30ips tape sounded like at its best and knew that vinyl and cassette delivery mechanisms were a horrible compromise.

Now anyone can have a studio merely by buying the gear, without any understanding, without any training and without any ability to listen. I wouldn't go to any Joe down the road to get my teeth pulled and wouldn't go to any Bob down the alley to master my record.
That's certainly true to some extend. Nevertheless, there are still quite a few really good audio engineers in the world of studios, especially those small places, which have carved out a niche, producing fine acoustic music. This is much more challenging, then recording anything coming out of electronic instruments.

Ben
04-10-2010, 11:46 PM   #58
Inactive Account

In sorta-audiophile-ish news, I have just gotten screwed by Auzentech.

Probably shoulda known better than by a card from a company who relies on a company with a customer service record similar to Sudan's human rights record.
04-11-2010, 09:51 AM   #59
Veteran Member

Didn't read through the thread, but I love my Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi IEMs. I'm definitely not an audiophile, as I don't use an amp, but just using these phones is enough to make a huge difference in listening. It's like your library is brand new again!
04-11-2010, 10:55 PM   #60
Inactive Account

Yeah, audio forums have me quoting Jules from Pulp Fiction.