Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2010, 04:17 AM   #16

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by seacapt Quote
Your HP sauce is better than A1
It's not my HP sauce, don't care for the stuff. I'm originally from NY.

xjjohnno
As far as the question on salt. Salt can sometimes bring out other flavors and make them stronger. Most people are just used to having too much salt in junk food and have learned to think that a salty taste is "normal".

Last edited by opfor; 04-12-2010 at 04:20 AM. Reason: typo
04-12-2010, 04:48 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Salt has other vital functions. It helps to break down certain compounds in food, making the food more tender. I always add a pinch of salt when boiling potatoes or rice, since it helps with the starch.

But over-salted food is a pet peeve. The biggest culprit is Indian food. You wouldn't believe how much they use in their kitchens to get the "curries" to taste more palatable to Western tastes. Quite unnecessary in that amount.

Last edited by rparmar; 04-12-2010 at 05:08 AM.
04-12-2010, 04:48 AM   #18
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by xjjohnno Quote
One question, why do so many cooks, chefs and food writers insist on claiming salt adds flavour? Salt adds saltiness, haven't used the stuff in years and sure notice when others do.
Anyway seeing as this is a food thread I thought I'd ask.
You know why they add a pinch of salt to scones, right?

Small amounts, it's a flavour enhancer, in either sweet or savoury foods.
04-12-2010, 06:13 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by xjjohnno Quote
One question, why do so many cooks, chefs and food writers insist on claiming salt adds flavour? Salt adds saltiness, haven't used the stuff in years and sure notice when others do.
Anyway seeing as this is a food thread I thought I'd ask.
Well, it can indeed be that: I generally cook without added salt just because there's usually plenty in *something* I may be cooking with, but if I have all-fresh ingredients, you can't make a proper red sauce without a little.

The key is, a little does the job, and more of it doesn't help. Or then you really are just making it saltier. When they say a pinch or a dash, they mean it.

One of the reasons American food tends to make people *fat* is cause a lot of it combines fatty, salty, and sweetness in ways that instincts say 'Eat more!' (because these things were generally quite rare and valuable foodstuffs for most of our evolution, the combination can be something that instinct says 'eat all you can') ...obviously, if you're commercially-marketing some food or just trying to impress people, you'll find yourself tending to use that combination a lot, sometimes to great excess. even in 'diet food' which will commonly mimic the exact same combination.

So, I think people will tend to imitate that in cooking, if they aren't careful, basically. Most of our prepackaged/fast food is *loaded* with the stuff. Especially if you have good ingredients, you usually don't need that: traditionally, if a pinch of salt or a little sugar is called for, the idea isn't that you'd consciously taste it, it just alters what's going on somewhat.

My grandma wasn't a paleoanthropologist, but was most insistent on this point.

04-12-2010, 06:17 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
But over-salted food is a pet peeve. The biggest culprit is Indian food. You wouldn't believe how much they use in their kitchens to get the "curries" to taste more palatable to Western tastes. Quite unnecessary in that amount.
And, heehee. I could see a vicious cycle developing there as I learn about some Indian cooking, "Hrm, how to make it more like the restaurant..."
04-12-2010, 06:42 AM   #21
graphicgr8s

Try using a little salt on apples. It intensifies the flavor. Salt isn't bad in the right amounts. Most restaurants just use way, way, way too much.
04-12-2010, 06:44 AM   #22
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
George, what is "pesto", and what differentiates a good one. From a so-so one?
Hee, hee. Pesto is, most times, a basil based sauce. I can't tell you a good from bad one as I don't particularly care for it myself.

04-12-2010, 07:01 AM   #23
Veteran Member

George, what is "pesto", and what differentiates a good one. From a so-so one?
Fresh Basil , good olive oil , fresh grated parmesan cheese , pignoli (pine) nuts , roasted garlic , a pinch of salt and a dash of lemon juice. Throw it in a food processor and make a paste. Mix with pasta of choice.
Some don't like a real intense basil flavor and mix 50/50 basil and spinach. If pignoli are not available wallnuts or macadamians can be substituted.
The comercially prepared ones all pretty much suck. The most common mistakes in building your own are too much salt or using cheap crappy olive oil.
Finished product can store in refrigerator for a couple weeks if you float some olive oil on top to keep air off.
Base recipe-1/2 cup pine nuts , 1 head roasted garlic , 3/4 cup fresh grated cheese , 1/4 teaspoon salt , 3 cups fresh basil leaves , 3/4 cup olive oil and a dash of lemon juice. This is just a place to start , don't be affraid to experiment.

Last edited by seacapt; 04-12-2010 at 07:16 AM.
04-12-2010, 07:31 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I could see a vicious cycle developing there as I learn about some Indian cooking, "Hrm, how to make it more like the restaurant..."
My family loves my "Indian" food but it is nothing like the restaurants. What you get there evolved from banquet food, what the rich eat sometimes and the poor maybe once a year. It is not meant for regular consumption as all the fats etc. will kill you. Besides, almost all traditional Indian food is vegetarian.

One hint: Instead of ghee, mix 50% vegetable oil with 50% butter. Though some Indian traditions have it that ghee is actually good for you, I am not so sure! I prefer to avoid eating something that is entirely made up of saturated fats. (In fact I don't even use the butter any more.)

Another: Never use any pre-made "curry powder". This is a sure sign that it is not authentic. There is no such thing as "curry" unless you are referring to the curry leaf, a specific spice. (Of course it is fine to talk colloquially of a curry -- even I do that!)

If you have an Indian grocer locally, you can buy their "garam masala", which basically means "intense mixture". Each and every one is distinctive. Good stores will have several to try. You can get some idea of what they have in the mix from the aroma. Some are fairly sweet (cinnamon, nutmeg) while others are more bitter and yellow (lots of turmeric).

The hardest part is cooking good rice. I don't think I will ever master it.
04-12-2010, 08:14 AM   #25
Inactive Account

One hint: Instead of ghee, mix 50% vegetable oil with 50% butter. Though some Indian traditions have it that ghee is actually good for you, I am not so sure! I prefer to avoid eating something that is entirely made up of saturated fats. (In fact I don't even use the butter any more.)
I lived with two Indians (one from Goa, one from Mumbai/Kolkatta - can't remember) and an Aussie couple from Kingaroy.

The Aussie couple were studying some pseudo-medicinal stuff at a natural medicine college and were into the whole alternative-food-if-it's-not-Western-than-it's-good-for-you thing, and the girl used ghee.

For everything.

Suhmet, the mainland Indian, caught her with her giant tub of ghee, ladling it into and onto everything she was cooking. Suhmet's eyes went wide, and he asked what the hell she was doing.

"Ghee," she said, "It's good for you. My lecturer's a naturopath [or some other pseudo-medical profession] and said it's better than oil."

"Are you kidding me? I'd never touch the stuff! My doctor told me to stay away from it!" The girl looked at Suhmet, incredulous, and he added, "My Indian doctor. Back home."

I think I caught her trying to use it in salad dressing, once.

QuoteQuote:
Another: Never use any pre-made "curry powder".
Ah, British food.
04-12-2010, 08:20 AM   #26
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Hee, hee. Pesto is, most times, a basil based sauce. I can't tell you a good from bad one as I don't particularly care for it myself.
QuoteOriginally posted by seacapt Quote
Fresh Basil , good olive oil , fresh grated parmesan cheese , pignoli (pine) nuts , roasted garlic , a pinch of salt and a dash of lemon juice. Throw it in a food processor and make a paste. Mix with pasta of choice.
Some don't like a real intense basil flavor and mix 50/50 basil and spinach. If pignoli are not available wallnuts or macadamians can be substituted.
The comercially prepared ones all pretty much suck. The most common mistakes in building your own are too much salt or using cheap crappy olive oil.
Finished product can store in refrigerator for a couple weeks if you float some olive oil on top to keep air off.
Base recipe-1/2 cup pine nuts , 1 head roasted garlic , 3/4 cup fresh grated cheese , 1/4 teaspoon salt , 3 cups fresh basil leaves , 3/4 cup olive oil and a dash of lemon juice. This is just a place to start , don't be affraid to experiment.
Actually, that sounds like something I would like. Might have to try some.

Thanks!
04-12-2010, 08:50 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Thanks!
It's a quick easy Summer meal when the basil plants in the garden are in full swing. My kids refer to it as "green spagetti". I like to marinate a few little chickens and throw em on the grill then make pesto pasta as the side but for many it's a meal in itself.
04-12-2010, 12:15 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Thanks!
Oh, no way. Taking the part of all these Italian dudes and you don't know pesto? I say, Foul!

Don't believe nuffin about spinach, either. Basil's pretty much the *point.* Lots of the plant, though.
04-12-2010, 12:30 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Suhmet, the mainland Indian, caught her with her giant tub of ghee, ladling it into and onto everything she was cooking. Suhmet's eyes went wide, and he asked what the hell she was doing.
That's a great story!

Friend of mine from Germany went on a cure to India last year since he has serious stomach issues. They had him drinking ghee by the glass.

He came back much revived and said the next six months were fantastic, until various toxins built up again.

But anything one uses to purge the body I don't think should go into a nice dinner.
04-12-2010, 12:45 PM   #30
graphicgr8s

That's a great story!

Friend of mine from Germany went on a cure to India last year since he has serious stomach issues. They had him drinking ghee by the glass.

He came back much revived and said the next six months were fantastic, until various toxins built up again.

But anything one uses to purge the body I don't think should go into a nice dinner.
*They* call that "*multi-tasking*" hee hee