Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2010, 10:11 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm just curious, but how much differently would we treat Russia if they only had the capacity to wipe out all human life on the planet once, rather than 7 times?

04-13-2010, 11:30 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The internet is a scarey place ;)

The only strategic arms treaties still in force between the U.S. and the Russian Federation is the Moscow Treaty on Strategic Offensive Reductions (also called "the Moscow Treaty," the Strategic Offensive Reductions Treaty, or SORT) and the START I treaty, which will expire in December 2009. The Moscow Treaty was signed by Presidents George W. Bush and Vladimir Putin on 24 May 2002 and ratified by the U.S. Senate on 6 March 2003, and by the Russian Duma on 14 May 2003. The Moscow Treaty sets lower warhead limits than the effective limits of START I and requires both sides to reduce their deployed strategic nuclear warheads to between 1,700 and 2,200 warheads by midnight 31 December 2012. Strangely, the deadline for compliance is the same moment as the expiration of the treaty so it is questionable whether the warhead limit ever legally takes effect.

The Moscow Treaty does not require the destruction of any of the warheads taken out of deployment. Given the lengthy period the Moscow Treaty gives for reductions (more than a decade) and the debatable effect of its limit, the actual effect it will have on U.S. and Russian arsenals remains to be seen. U.S plans appear to take into account reduction to the SORT upper limit of 2,200 however.

Current plans are to completely retire and dismantle the oldest warhead in the U.S. arsenal, the W62 carried by the Minuteman III missile. Retirement of the W62 began in October 2006, and is being replaced by W87 warheads that have been in storage since they were removed from Peacekeeper (MX) missile upon its retirement. Five other deployed warheads (the B61-3, B61-4, W76, W78 and W80-1) will be reduced in number to bring the count down to 2,200. This will required removing 3,759 of these five warheads from deployment (given that 553 W87s are being returned to duty); together they number 4,302 of the currently deployed force. Partial dismantlement of these warheads is expected, but former Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld has indicated that most the warheads removed from deployment will be kept in the U.S. stockpile.

Actual production of new warheads halted in 1989. In January 1997, the first new weapon modification since the production shutdown entered service - the B61 Mod 11 (B61-11) ground penetrating ("bunker busting") bomb. This was a modification of B61 Mod 7s that were already in the stockpile. Remanufacture and updating of subsystems of existing weapons is on-going as part of a stockpile Life-Extension Program (LEP).

In the FY2005 budget congress authorized $36.6 million for two new nuclear weapons programs - the Robust Nuclear Earth Penetrator (RNEP), and the Advanced Concepts Initiative (ACI). The RNEP was intended to explore the design of a new "bunker busting" warhead, while the ACI explored other weapons concepts. Poor reviews of the RNEP concept led to the deletion of funding from the FY2006 budget. The ACI on the other hand was replaced by the Reliable Replacement Warhead (RRW) program, to which its funds were transferred. The National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) requested funding of $9.351 million for RRW in the FY2006 budget.

U.S. Nuclear Weapon Enduring Stockpile
all things considered I think I'd prefer 1980's tech to the junk we make today......... "Don't make things like they used to"
50. Estimated 1998 spending on all U.S. nuclear weapons and weapons-related programs: $35,100,000,000
http://www.brookings.edu/projects/archive/nucweapons/50.aspx
WAKE up!!!
http://www.cdi.org/issues/nukeaccidents/accidents.htm
See WEAPONS LOST/MISSING

Last edited by jeffkrol; 04-13-2010 at 11:49 AM.
04-13-2010, 11:48 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Not particularly. Just about you of the Jackass Party destroying what's left of the US and our security.
So what security does America have against the Chinese withdrawing credit? At least there is some sort of balance with Russia.
04-13-2010, 11:58 AM   #19
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"Mommy, please make the bad lady go away!"

No offense to my Republican friends (Conservative or not), but if this is the best your party can do, all the rest of us can do is laugh.

04-13-2010, 01:14 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote

No offense to my Republican friends (Conservative or not), but if this is the best your party can do, all the rest of us can do is laugh.

It's not the best they can do - the Republican party actually has some smart folks in it, and capable leaders, but they're being drowned out right now by the hayseed, borderline-racist, reactionary, historically-ignorant "Tea Party" crowd.

And the Republican leaders I mention are basically walking a tightrope, because the are torn between wanting to manipulate these people enough to win a congressional majority, and not wanting to completely lose power to what's basically an out of control, aimless meme. The Tea Party is capable of eating their own if they are found to be not "conservative" enough, although that term loses much of it's meaning when it becomes this radicalized.

David Frum nailed it - in response to the health care bill, but this can be generalized:

QuoteQuote:
We followed the most radical voices in the party and the movement, and they led us to abject and irreversible defeat.

There were leaders who knew better, who would have liked to deal. But they were trapped. Conservative talkers on Fox and talk radio had whipped the Republican voting base into such a frenzy that deal-making was rendered impossible. How do you negotiate with somebody who wants to murder your grandmother? Or – more exactly – with somebody whom your voters have been persuaded to believe wants to murder their grandmother?

Sarah Palin personifies these ignorant, radical voices. She's cancerous to her party and the country.

Last edited by jsherman999; 04-13-2010 at 01:24 PM.
04-13-2010, 01:58 PM   #21
Ira
Inactive Account

The problem I have with the Palin type is that I don't think she believes in anything--it's all part of the popularity game.

As opposed to folks like Ted Kennedy who would never allow wavering public opinion or support affect his core principles and goals in helping those who need it.
04-13-2010, 09:04 PM   #22
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteQuote:
Quote from jsherman999.....
"Sarah Palin personifies these ignorant, radical voices. She's cancerous to her party and the country."
Exactly right, and the results are beginning to show in the polls......seen the latest? If the November elections were held today, the Democrats would be the winners. All of this right wing ignorance and Tea Party scare tactics are paying dividends....for Democrats!
Regards!

04-14-2010, 06:28 AM   #23
graphicgr8s

The problem I have with the Palin type is that I don't think she believes in anything--it's all part of the popularity game.

As opposed to folks like Ted Kennedy who would never allow wavering public opinion or support affect his core principles and goals in helping those who need it.
Which goal? Which core principle? To stay drunk the longest? To see if he could get away with killing someone? (Well, that he did achieve)
04-14-2010, 06:34 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Which goal? Which core principle? To stay drunk the longest? To see if he could get away with killing someone? (Well, that he did achieve)
And while those two accomplishments may be enough for slobs like you and me, the man also failed heroically (and foolishly), only to achieve a lot more.
04-14-2010, 09:12 AM   #25
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

As much as I disliked Ted Kennedy, his beliefs, and his goals; I think that's a pretty accurate comparison.
04-14-2010, 10:02 AM   #26
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
As much as I disliked Ted Kennedy, his beliefs, and his goals; I think that's a pretty accurate comparison.
"I believe I'll have another drink"

Ted Kennedy
04-14-2010, 10:17 AM   #27
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote

It would be hard to say he was in it for the money or for name recognition, wouldn't it! I was not always in agreement, but I always felt that he championed some very worthy causes, and his heart was in it, which is more than I see from the bulk of politicians.

You have that drink to Sarah, George, maybe if she wanders down your way she will let you touch her delicate skin, if your blood pressure reading is not too high from just being in her presence. Get some help George........
Regards!
04-14-2010, 11:30 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Daddy wouln't mind spanking her.
04-14-2010, 12:01 PM   #29
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
It would be hard to say he was in it for the money or for name recognition, wouldn't it! I was not always in agreement, but I always felt that he championed some very worthy causes, and his heart was in it, which is more than I see from the bulk of politicians.

You have that drink to Sarah, George, maybe if she wanders down your way she will let you touch her delicate skin, if your blood pressure reading is not too high from just being in her presence. Get some help George........
Regards!
Sure don't know why you think I particularly care for Sarah. As for the bp part well let's say she's not my type. I really think you're in love with her since you seem to talk about her an awful lot. You know what they say, don't you Rupert?
04-14-2010, 12:09 PM   #30
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
..........I was not always in agreement, ........
I would have bet you had his portrait tattooed one the inside of your eyelids.