Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2010, 07:02 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Magic Kingdom not so Magical.....

...if you are a photographer these days....recent incident involving a photographer at Walt Disney World:

Disney Thinks Photographers Are Terrorists William Beem Photography

Last edited by casil403; 04-13-2010 at 07:10 PM.
04-13-2010, 07:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

But it's not just Disney. It's all part of the 9/11 scare tactic that's been planted and cultivated in the American psyche the past 10 years coming to its beautiful fruition.

I was just outside the parking lot of a nearby Costco's this past winter taking this shot:

Act of Terrorism on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I have a fetishism for chimneys, and I'd always wanted a nice long exposure shot of this set of chimneys.

Now, this *is* a chemical plant just north of Boston. It *is* one of the few places around here where you only get a pixelated image when you look the place up on Google Maps.

Regardless, the image you see here is in plain view from pretty anywhere within a few miles' radius from the plant. Anybody can take any number of shots just like this or even with much better detail, pretty much any time, any day.

And yet, there I was with my tripod and timing my shot (it was a 30s exposure), and of all people, the dude that was plowing the snow of the Costco lot drives up to where I was and asks "What are you doing?". And upon hearing my reply "Taking a picture of those chimneys (what does it look like I'm doing, idiot?)" he quickly explained to me that that was an "Act of terrorism".

Unlike the guy at Disney World, though, I just told him that I can take pictures of whatever the fvck I want and that he was more than welcome to call the cops if he wanted. He went away.

I hope all the fear mongers are happy for having made this supposed "free country" of ours anything but.
04-13-2010, 08:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Congratulations! You are now terrorist-era Camera Fiends! Instead of intruding on personal space, you are intruding on IMPERSONAL space. In the past you would have been Anarchists, Communists, #xxxxxx-Panthers, or spies for the Fuehrer or Kaiser. But times have changed, although morons haven't. It's a Brave New World out there. Enjoy it before it implodes.

PS: F*ck the Mouse.
"And remember kids,
Don't forget to smash the state!"
--Backwoods Bob
04-14-2010, 05:05 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah....even the sketchers and artists and people who might be lost are now on the terror watch list too!

"An individual taking photos or pictures in a location that has no particular interest, drawing maps or sketches, taking notes or wandering in the same location for an unusually long time;"

From the Ottawa Transit security guideline page found here:

The security of the transit systems

I guess Canada must have been feeling left out.

What makes me laugh hardest is that with all the tiny P&S cameras now a days, cell phone cameras and the like, yeah, it's the people with the DSLR's and tripods (they want to get an artistic HDR shot of the building they plan to attack????!!!) who hang out there the longest that we must be most fearful of....

04-14-2010, 09:18 AM   #5
wjt
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Here is his letter to disney, shall be interesting to see if and how they respond.
What the hell is wrong with the world, seriously, the poor guy wanted to take a photo. Oh well at least that level of crazy isn't here yet... yet.
04-14-2010, 09:44 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think I would be asking for Disney's "Incident Report" on the situation. And I wouldn't let them tell me they didn't do one because with that many guards involved they had to write something up. If they still refused, I'd contact the Sheriff who by law must maintain a record of the call from the Disney Gestapo. Then when the records came back full of lies I'd be asking for individually sworn statements from every guard involved.
Attached Images

04-14-2010, 09:58 AM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote

PS: F*ck the Mouse.
QuoteQuote:
Disney castmembers harassed, threatened and humiliated me before other guests.
... and the cast members and particularly, the minimum wage rent-a-cop named "Don". I banned the mouse movies and television programming from my house 20 years ago.

04-15-2010, 10:43 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Disney creeps me out. Don't they own a town in Florida?
04-15-2010, 07:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes as a matter of fact they do....

Celebration, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kinda creeps me out too now that you mention it...reminds me of the movie "The Truman Show"
"Good morning, and in case I don't see ya, good afternoon, good evening, and good night!"
04-15-2010, 08:51 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Heck, I've got my own story.

Today (April 15) as I was getting off the bus, the driver asked me to come to the front. On me I had my Kiev, my lightmeter in my pocket, a vest (with lots of pockets), and a spare lens for the camera. He asked me if I took any pictures, and claimed that taking pictures of people without their permission is illegal. He's not even a rent-a-cop, and he's telling me what I can and cannot take pictures of!

Keep in mind this is OCtranspo, and they don't allow photography on the bus, a rule that they pretty much never enforce (just ride the bus at on a friday night, and you'll know what I mean). Now, sometimes on the way to and back from work, the bus goes along the Ottawa river, and I take shots out the window (to pass the time, and, well to take a photo), but never anything on the bus itself.

I was even in Toronto for the King Tut exhibit at the AGO (K7 and a flash) and I was pretty much followed about, even though I obeyed the very draconian no-photo rule of the place. Heck they didn't even allow cameras to the King Tut exhibit itself. I even had one guard make me go back to my bag and put my hot-shoe flash away (never mind that the camera has it's own flash)... I am never going back to the AGO again. Ever. Toronto's nice, AGO sucks.

Don't mind me, just venting...

Last edited by VF-19; 04-15-2010 at 09:01 PM.
04-16-2010, 04:46 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No worries vent away.... as a matter of fact it would be interesting to hear about anybody else who has ever had a similar experience.
Aparently from your experience on transit, the OCtranspo, (see post #4) really is practicing there new draconian guidelines...thank Gawd you didn't have a pen and paper on the bus too!
04-16-2010, 05:45 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by casil403 Quote
No worries vent away.... as a matter of fact it would be interesting to hear about anybody else who has ever had a similar experience.
Aparently from your experience on transit, the OCtranspo, (see post #4) really is practicing there new draconian guidelines...thank Gawd you didn't have a pen and paper on the bus too!
Oh, good lord... Now I'll never be left alone at the bus stop... I almost, always have some sort of camera around my neck...

Besides, that driver broke all the "do not" points on the page you've pointed out...
04-16-2010, 06:43 AM   #13
Ira
Inactive Account

Nobody here should ever be under any suspicion:

Terrorists shoot Minolta.
04-16-2010, 06:58 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Nobody here should ever be under any suspicion:

Terrorists shoot Minolta.
Now you've gone too far, Ira.
You're calling me, my sister, my father, my in-laws, TERRORISTS!?!?!?!
That's defamation!! That's abominable!! That's WRONG!!!!

Everyone knows that terrorists shoot Canon.

My M-list, currently in this room:
(I won't bother listing the Sonys)

Minolta-16 (Minox clone)
Minolta Autocord (TLR)
Minolta Maxxum 7000
Minolta SRT-101 (x2)
Minolta Dimage-300 IR

And I only terrorize termites.
Even squirrels laugh at me.