Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2010, 08:31 AM   #1
graphicgr8s

I hate pork

Sure do. Especially in government spending.

So the top porker is a RINO. Vote him out. I don't care what side these idiots are. If they want the earmarks they need to be voted out. Starting with Cochran.

QuoteQuote:
Cochran Leads Congress in Earmarks, $16.5B Total Set Aside for Pet Projects in 2010

FOXNews.com

Shrimp research, local museums and military projects that even the Pentagon doesn't want are among the beneficiaries this year of billions of dollars in pork-barrel spending, according to the annual "Congressional Pig Book" released Wednesday by a top government watchdog.

Drumroll, please.

And the king of pork is ... Sen. Thad Cochran. The Mississippi Republican ranks at the top this year of the Citizens Against Government Waste's list of congressional earmarkers.

Cochran, the ranking Republican on the Senate Appropriations Committee, is typically a leading pork-seeker and in 2010 had his name on 240 projects worth $490.2 million The runner-up was Appropriations Committee Chairman Daniel Inouye, D-Hawaii, with 151 projects worth $387.5 million.

Taken together, earmarked projects in fiscal year 2010 accounted for $16.5 billion of the federal budget. Leading the the 50 states was Hawaii, which enjoyed $251 per capita, thanks in large part to the help of Inouye. On the House side, Rep. Earl Pomeroy, D-N.D., took home the gold with 50 projects worth $148.4 million.

Citizens Against Government Waste President Tom Schatz said Cochran has earned the nickname of "Thad the Impaler" for his persistent earmarking.
related links
Senate Says No to Proposed Earmark Ban

"Senator Cochran has been number one for three years in a row and his total exceeds $2 billion during that three-year period of time," he said.

The good news was the number of earmarks declined -- the 9,129 projects listed marked about a 10 percent decline from last year. But that's still more than 15 times the number of projects when Citizens Against Government Waste first started tracking in 1991.

And according to the annual "Congressional Pig Book" released Wednesday by the watchdog group, some oddball projects were on the receiving end. Shrimp research, local museums and military projects that even the Pentagon didn't want were among the beneficiaries this year of billions of dollars in pork-barrel spending, according to the guide.

Here's a look at some of the more peculiar projects on the extensive "Pig Book" list:

-- Shrimp must be in vogue this year. The budget set aside $2.9 million in seven states for shrimp aquaculture research. Elsewhere in the budget was $700,000 requested by several senators and representatives for fishing research by the Southern Shrimp Alliance.

-- Five senators and four representatives across four states requested $2.6 million for potato research. Along those lines, several lawmakers also set aside $775,000 for the Institute for Food Science and Engineering, which, as CAGW notes, has a program for researching "Pickle Science and Technology."

-- The wool industry has attracted millions in funding over the past decade and 2010 was no different. Montana, Texas and Wyoming were the recipients of $206,000 for wool research.

-- Talk about a war on drugs. Among the projects requested by Cochran was $500,000 for the University of Southern Mississippi for a cannabis eradication program.

-- The Camden Police Department, which reportedly was not eligible for stimulus funding because of prior grant violations, was awarded $200,000 in earmarks from New Jersey's two senators, Frank Lautenberg and Robert Menendez, for a Mobile Communications Center.

-- The Pentagon was awarded billions for programs Defense Secretary Robert Gates spoke out against as unnecessary. One earmark worth $2.5 billion was for 10 C-17 cargo jets. Another was worth $465,000 for development of a Joint Strike Fighter alternative engine. Lawmakers fought administration attempts to cut those programs out of concern over lost jobs.

-- Somehow, the Edward M. Kennedy Institute for the Senate also made its way into the defense budget. The institute is expected to include exhibits, classrooms and a replica of the U.S. Senate chambers -- at a price of $18.9 million.

-- Local museum and educational center funding was also popular this past year. The budget included $100,000 for the Cabot's Pueblo Museum in Desert Hot Springs; $250,000 for the Wistariahurst Museum in Massachusetts; $500,000 for the Czech and Slovak Museum and Library in Cedar Rapids, Iowa; and another $500,000 for the National Mississippi River Museum and Aquarium in Dubuque, Iowa.

-- Several educational campaigns also received funding. Among them was $250,000 for an anti-steroids awareness program at the I Won't Cheat Foundation in Salt Lake City.

04-15-2010, 08:54 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Awwwwwwwwww, I thought this was going to be another cooking thread. Or at least a Vegetarian V. Omnivore thread.
04-15-2010, 09:16 AM   #3
Inactive Account

To the OP, I have but one word:

BACON.
04-15-2010, 09:24 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
REAL americans don't need no research or education.
All they need is Glen Beck. Just ask Murdock.

04-15-2010, 09:35 AM   #5
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
To the OP, I have but one word:

BACON.
Don't really care for it. Not with eggs nor with government. now ribs. That's a different story. I love ribs.

Shooz, thought you'd be surprised I posted something negative about a repubican (spelled wrong on purpose). Don't care who is wasting my money. They need to get out.

Last edited by graphicgr8s; 04-15-2010 at 09:43 AM.
04-15-2010, 09:35 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shooz Quote
REAL americans don't need no research or education.
All they need is Glen Beck. Just ask Murdock.

?
04-15-2010, 09:42 AM   #7

as a muslim, i agree. pork is quite haraam.
04-15-2010, 09:52 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Don't really care for it. Not with eggs nor with government. now ribs. That's a different story. I love ribs.

Shooz, thought you'd be surprised I posted something negative about a repubican (spelled wrong on purpose). Don't care who is wasting my money. They need to get out.
How do you know it's a waste?
Surprising things come out of the most mundane research.

04-15-2010, 01:14 PM   #9
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by shooz Quote
How do you know it's a waste?
Surprising things come out of the most mundane research.
You are simply amazing.
I chide the repubicans instead of the jackass party for their role in wasting our money and you think the waste is worth it? You have to be a union man.
04-15-2010, 01:16 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

You are simply amazing.
I chide the repubicans instead of the jackass party for their role in wasting our money and you think the waste is worth it? You have to be a union man.
There's another possible explanation, George. He could be a Democrat politician.
04-15-2010, 02:22 PM   #11
Veteran Member

He's right, though. Money spent on research (assuming it actually goes to actual research) is rarely wasted.
04-15-2010, 02:55 PM   #12
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

There was this place in downtown Ft Worth many years ago called Pickadillys. When I worked for the city downtown, we would send jail trustee inmates over to pick up our orders, and then gamble if they would take the money and run or come back with our orders.....they usually returned, but some are still out there retired with a nice bottle of White Port on the $20. they skipped with...... LOL!

Anyhow, the Pork....Picadillys had razor thin slices of pork slab with thick cake batter deep fried served with home style biscuits and real cream gravy that was always the favorite. It would literally melt in your mouth, deliciouisly! I must have eaten the fat off a whole hog over time, and eventoday I would gladly break my diet for a big serving. Yes....I love pork! Ribs? You bet! Pork Roast? The finest! Maple smoked Bacon? I can almost smell it! Pork chops? Here is one that didn't get away...2" thick and you can cut it with your fork.....

BTW George- This is the only thing I have in common with the Bush family, it is their favorite BBQ place in the world....they have that right, I guarantee! You can order online too!

A fellow Pentaxian ordering up...the treats always on me if you come on down George, and the Cobbler is second to none.

Regards!
04-15-2010, 07:26 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Maybe you never had good bacon.. Some of the best comes from Poland you know..anyways I can understand your confusion.. but "we" (using it loosely) believe that it is the gov. job to do crazy things like this. nobody else in their right (business sense) mind would do it. The gov is not a business, should not be run like a business, and should do un-business like things... A standing army does NOT (even though GW tried) generate positive cash flow. The list goes on. What is really "pork" is bridges and airports to now where... This stuff we would agree on. Also the (what was it) $10,00 toilet seats ect, where some pet business is getting filthy rich over gov "excess"...
So I can see your confusion "we" don't think in black and white (go figure) and some things seem foolish but turn out "good for all" like:
5 commonly used items that were originally designed for use in space are such things as:

Cordless Tools
Portable and self-contained power tools. Originally developed for astronauts on the Apollo missions to allow them to drill for moon samples. This technology has lead to development of such tools as the cordless vacuum cleaners and power drills
Smoke Detectors
First used in the Earth orbiting space station called Skylab. It help detect any toxic vapors. Now in common use in most homes and business.
Medical Imaging
NASA developed ways to process signals from spacecraft to produce clearer images. This technology also makes it possible to take photo like images of our insides.
TV Satellite Dish
NASA developed ways to correct errors in the signals coming from there spacecraft. This technology is used to reduce interference in TV signals coming from satellites.
Digital Thermometer
Instead of measuring temperature using a column of mercury, digital thermometers have a lens that detects infrared energy, which we feel as heat. The warmer something is the more infrared energy it puts out. This technology was originally developed to detect the birth of stars.

Is there waste.. sure gobs of it, same with businesses........ only bigger.
I wonder what really came out of this......
WHAT HAPPENED TO $1 TRILLION?
Though Defense has long been notorious for waste, recent government reports suggest the Pentagon's money management woes have reached astronomical proportions. A study by the Defense Department's inspector general found that the Pentagon couldn't properly account for more than a trillion dollars in monies spent. A GAO report found Defense inventory systems so lax that the U.S.
Army lost track of 56 airplanes, 32 tanks, and 36 Javelin missile command launch-units.
And before the Iraq war, when military leaders were scrambling to find enough chemical and biological warfare suits to protect U.S. troops, the department was caught selling these suits as surplus on the Internet "for pennies on the dollar," a GAO official said.
Given these glaring gaps in the management of a Pentagon budget that is approaching $400 billion, the coming debate is shaping up as a bid to gain the high ground in the battle against waste, fraud and abuse.

http://articles.sfgate.com/2003-05-18/news/17491492_1_pentagon-gao-financial-accounting
We did learn from the best though.............
http://militarywaste.org/2009/04/08/democrats-now-outpace-republicans-in-was...tary-earmarks/
It seems that much of the Republican weight of responsibility for wasteful military spending over the last decade has been due to their control of Congress. The Democrats cannot be fairly described as having an inherent superiority in resistance to military waste. The taste for military pork barrel seems to be sadly bipartisan in nature.

Last edited by jeffkrol; 04-15-2010 at 07:33 PM.
04-15-2010, 07:41 PM   #14
graphicgr8s

Jeff you're wearing out your cut and paste.
These thing were developed for specific needs. Most pork today is to bring money to an area. Actual value be damned.
Difference between government and business research? It's business's money not ours. Let Monsanto do potato research. There are always exceptions however. Certain research needs to be government when no individual company would be able to afford it. But it must have value if public money is used.

However you might not be 100% correct. From NASA's own site:
QuoteQuote:
Did NASA invent cordless power tools?

No. The first cordless power tool was unveiled by Black & Decker in 1961. In the mid-1960s, Martin Marietta Corporation contracted with Black & Decker to design tools for NASA. The tool company developed a zero-impact wrench for the Gemini project that spun bolts in zero gravity without spinning the astronaut. Black & Decker also designed a cordless rotary hammer drill for the Apollo moon program. The drill was used to extract rock samples from the surface of the moon and could operate at extreme temperatures and in zero-atmosphere conditions. Before the zero-impact wrench and rotary hammer drill could go into space, they needed to be tested in anti-gravity conditions. Black & Decker and NASA tested the tools either under water or in transport planes that would climb to the highest possible altitude and then nosedive to simulate anti-gravity conditions. As a result of this work, Black & Decker created several spinoffs, including cordless lightweight battery powered precision medical instruments and a cordless miniature vacuum cleaner called the Dustbuster, but cordless power tools predate the Space Agency’s involvement with the company.
QuoteQuote:
Did NASA invent barcodes, quartz clocks, or smoke detectors?

Barcodes were not invented by NASA. NASA developed a special type of barcode for inventory of space shuttle and other space system components that could endure harsh environments, but this should not be mistakened for the original barcode. Similarly, NASA was not the first to use quartz as a piezoelectric material for timekeeping. The first quartz clock dates back to 1927. However in the late 1960s, NASA partnered with a company to make a highly accurate quartz clock. This clock was on the market for a few years but is no longer available. Further, NASA did not invent the smoke detector. NASA’s connection to the modern smoke detector is that it made one with adjustable sensitivity as part of the Skylab project. The device was made commercially available by Honeywell. The consumer could use it to avoid “nuisance” alarms while cooking. Like the quartz clock, this device is no longer available.
Jeff, that's 2 of the 5 that simply looking at NASA's site show's you may be incorrect. Shall I continue? Or do you want to do your own fact checking? Makes me wonder how much of the rest of your C&P is fuzzy data.

QuoteQuote:
Did NASA invent Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)?

No, NASA did not invent MRI technology, but it has contributed to its advances over the years, and elements of NASA technology have been incorporated into MRI techniques. In the mid-1960s, as a prelude to NASA’s Apollo Lunar Landing Program, the Jet Propulsion Laboratory developed the technology known as digital image processing to allow computer enhancement of Moon pictures. Digital image processing has found a broad array of other applications, particularly in the field of medicine, where it is employed to create and enhance images of the organs in the human body for diagnostic purposes. Two of these advanced body imaging techniques are CT or CATScan and Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI).
Well, that's 3 of the 5 now.

And number four shall fall:
QuoteQuote:
Origins
# Satellite TV as it is known today can be traced to 1957, when Russian astronauts successfully launched Sputnik into orbit. The United States followed closely behind with the launch of Explorer I in 1958. At the purest level, satellites are objects that orbit the earth. The National Aeronautics and Space Administration, or NASA, began the same year as Explorer's launch and was created to find suitable uses for satellites. More than a decade later, TV entered the picture.

QuoteQuote:
Are Tang, Teflon, and Velcro NASA spinoffs?

Tang, Teflon, and Velcro, are not spinoffs of the Space Program. General Foods developed Tang in 1957, and it has been on supermarket shelves since 1959. In 1962, when astronaut John Glenn performed eating experiments in orbit, Tang was selected for the menu, launching the powdered drink’s heightened public awareness. NASA also raised the celebrity status of Teflon, a material invented for DuPont in 1938, when the Agency applied it to heat shields, space suits, and cargo hold liners. Velcro was used during the Apollo missions to anchor equipment for astronauts’ convenience in zero gravity situations. Although it is a Swiss invention from the 1940s, it has since been associated with the Space Program.
http://www.sti.nasa.gov/tto/spinfaq.htm

Last edited by graphicgr8s; 04-15-2010 at 09:01 PM.
04-15-2010, 08:46 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
There was this place in downtown Ft Worth many years ago called Pickadillys. When I worked for the city downtown, we would send jail trustee inmates over to pick up our orders, and then gamble if they would take the money and run or come back with our orders.....they usually returned, but some are still out there retired with a nice bottle of White Port on the $20. they skipped with...... LOL!

Anyhow, the Pork....Picadillys had razor thin slices of pork slab with thick cake batter deep fried served with home style biscuits and real cream gravy that was always the favorite. It would literally melt in your mouth, deliciouisly! I must have eaten the fat off a whole hog over time, and eventoday I would gladly break my diet for a big serving. Yes....I love pork! Ribs? You bet! Pork Roast? The finest! Maple smoked Bacon? I can almost smell it! Pork chops? Here is one that didn't get away...2" thick and you can cut it with your fork.....

BTW George- This is the only thing I have in common with the Bush family, it is their favorite BBQ place in the world....they have that right, I guarantee! You can order online too!

A fellow Pentaxian ordering up...the treats always on me if you come on down George, and the Cobbler is second to none.

Regards!
Thanks for the Coopers photos. Great place! Sorry I can not meet you guys there. Maybe next time.
A