Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2010, 10:28 AM   #1
emr

CBA madness

I have been so fascinated by photography and cameras for the last couple of years. And as we all know, one thing leads to another. At first I bought a K20D with both kit zooms. Fine so far. But over the time I've bought a seconds DSLR (K200D), several new and older lenses including some limiteds and also some rarer lenses I've probably shot less than 20 shots with. My latest purchase is still shipping (a DFA 100mm macro WR, probably delayed because of the volcanic ash). At one time I figured that the DSLR is often too big to lug around, so I bought an easily pocketable Canon S90. I was choosing between that camera (or a Panasonic LX3) and a micro four thirds setup, but decided that as portability was a priority, the P&S would work better.

So where am I now? Over the time I've again become more and more interested in getting a m4/3 setup anyhow. My finger's on the trigger getting a Panasonic GF-1 with the 20mm pancake. What a beauty it is.

What's either tragic or comic is that I spend 90% of my photography related time reading forums and thinking about cameras and only 10% actually shooting. Just how pathetic is that?

04-16-2010, 11:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Pretty good chance I'll be picking up the GF-2 w/ the 20/1.7 if/when it lands.
04-16-2010, 02:32 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just bought another KX film body. I already have one, but I just couldn't resist...

Chris
04-16-2010, 03:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I did good today, I've avoided anyplace I could buy used camera gear and actually got out for a while. So far I've snapped 25 pic's on a roll of Velvia 50 today.

However, yesterday is a different story. I bought a Vivitar 2x focusing macro teleconverter, and didn't have the time for photography. Unless you count the 3 passport photos I did last night as photography

04-17-2010, 06:24 AM   #5
Inactive Account

I wouldn't mind a 4/3 Oly, but i'm not a fan of EVF. In fact, I hate it.

Anyway, don't read this post- go out and shoot man!
04-17-2010, 01:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I've tried to control CBA. It's mostly worked. Before the K20D, over most of a decade, was a series of P&S's, each with distinct qualities. The first, a 1mpx Sony DSC-P20 for eBay shoots. Then a 5mpx Sony DSC-V1 and -P10 for our carry-arounds (and I still carry the V1, ALWAYS. My third, actually, as I bricked the first two.) Then a 7mpx Sony DSC-W7 after the P10 got bricked, but it died recently. Then a 5mpx Minolta F300 modded for IR. Then a 7mpx Olympus WS-770 for snorkeling and diving down to 10m. See, each a different tool for a different purpose.

Then came the K20D, and I figured I'd need no other cams for awhile. Sure, I had some inherited 135 and 120 and 620 folders and boxes and TLRs and a couple 16mm spycams, but those were incidental, just for display. Put them on shelves and look at them every now and then. I was offered some Minolta SLRs and lenses but turned them down. No more film for me.

Then came the LBA. And with LBA came bids on MISC LOTS of eBay photo stuff, lots that included lenses I wanted and other gear I didn't. Next thing I know, I've got a fine Pentax ZX-M, and nice lenses. And Praktica and Chinon-Argus and Fuji and Porst and other M42 SLRs, and nice lenses. And a Yashica RF; and a FED-5 RF with Leica LTM lenses. And Ansco TLRs, and Kodak Monitor 6x9 and Brownies etc, and two Argus C3 Bricks, with extra lenses.

And I thought, HOLY SH!T I'VE GOTTA SELL THIS STUFF. Ha. No interest. So then I loaded film in some of them. And film is fun again. So I (consciously) bought an ancient KW Patent-Etui 6x9, and an ultra-cheap Canon P&S, and I'm looking for a cheap 645 folder, and I even considered a Holga, and... I'm doomed. Doomed. If there's a US$3 camera at a thrift shop or yard sale, I touch it, consider it, usually put it back down. Usually. Or I see a Nikon F on the bay, cheap. I usually don't make a bid. Usually.

Someday I'll get another inheritance. Then I'll be looking at digital cameras again. Maybe at a Kx or Ky or Kz or whatever is around then. And I'll succumb. I mean, I need a backup, right? Ah f*ck it, I'm doomed.

Oh yeah, I've got the Minolta SLRs and lenses too. I'm supposed to sell them. That could happen.
04-17-2010, 01:28 PM   #7
emr

Wow. Control mostly worked, eh? Perhaps I still have some hope.

(Just need that one more camera...)
04-17-2010, 01:38 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
that GF1 sure is small. with G2 due out next week, I'm really looking forward to a GF2.

*you sure have a lot of DAs.

04-17-2010, 01:59 PM   #9
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoso Quote
*you sure have a lot of DAs.
If you mean me, I agree. Way too much low end glass. Some I bought with the first camera, some came with the second body, some became obsolete after the a one and so on. I'm not very good at selling stuff and I think that cheap glass like isn't really worth the bother. At least I have some back-up ones and perhaps the kids will some day need some beginner equipment too.
04-17-2010, 08:43 PM   #10
Nubi

My wife sighs and gives me the dirty look every time she looks at my pile of lenses. I have all DSLR K's and all limiteds and some DA*'s and takumars and now Zeiss. I want a lensbaby too, damn it!!

My wife and I just decided that we are vacationing in Japan in June. Some people say why in June because it rains like hell, but living in California I relish every chance I get for being able to shoot in the rain. Hell, I may buy a funky color k-x or two. Maybe K-7 limited. Oh gees. I am in trouble.

I shoot a lot and take many many awful photographs. I am not sure which is worse; taking bad photos or not shoot that much at all. It is a toss up!!
04-17-2010, 09:05 PM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
I shoot a lot and take many many awful photographs. I am not sure which is worse; taking bad photos or not shoot that much at all. It is a toss up!!
Well at least you can learn from your many mistakes. I would imagine there are no shortages of good photos to be had in Cali.
04-17-2010, 09:06 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I started with the ME Super and had a few lenses for years.....then the K10d came out and all hell broke loose.... I have been lucky enough lately to buy / sell gear at the right time but that luck isn't always there. For the begining of Pentax, I have the Asahiflex, mint versions of the AP, S and K.....and some nice matching glass like the 83/1.9. These cameras are so tight....so well engineered!

I sold the k10d (after buying it at auction) at the right time to pick up a K20d. I sold it at the right time for a K-7 and sold it for a K20d Titan / K-m Olive combo thinking that the K20d was just as good as the K-7. It's a great camera but it's no K-7..so I now have the K-7 Silver (thanks Nubi!). I have the 67II.....which I think was Pentax's crown jewel.

Glass....I love SMC Taks and Ks, althought they are almost the same...and have a couple A* lenses...which I think (in my mind since I have never tried all of the Pentax varients) that they are the best built that Pentax will ever produce (when was the last time a camera manufacturer released a pro lens at $27,000 in 2010 dollars).

Now there is a mint S3 on craigs with 4 lenses and the Meter for $150 and no one is biting.....yikes!