Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2010, 09:08 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Curious 'bout Ebaiter

Bidder Information
Bidder: l***r( 35137)
that bidder has some deep pockets to get over 35,000 feedback posts.
I'm bidding on a lens and this guy bids...have to wonder if he really needs or even wants the lens... Do you supoose this is one of those auto bid bots?

04-18-2010, 09:58 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Chances are pretty fair that the guy wants what ever it is for resale with that type of feedback. Ebay will automatically increment your bid until you have been out bid. Say you bid $100 on an auction that started at $1. You aren't willing to pay any more than that so that was your starting and final number. Your bid is entered at $1 with a top offer of $100. Bidder B comes along and starts chipping away at it. Your bid will increment from that original $1 until bidder B, exceeds $100. Then you are out bid. (This is why I never put in an early bid)

The Other way to do it, is to use a sniper which is what you may be thinking of. Generally, they are used for last second bidding. Other than another sniper, there is no defense against them.

04-18-2010, 10:14 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It will be an eBay reseller with that high of a feedback score. They bid on lots of items, then mark up the price and resell the item. They will have thousands of items available in their online store.

Phil.
04-18-2010, 10:35 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Chances are pretty fair that the guy wants what ever it is for resale with that type of feedback. Ebay will automatically increment your bid until you have been out bid. Say you bid $100 on an auction that started at $1. You aren't willing to pay any more than that so that was your starting and final number. Your bid is entered at $1 with a top offer of $100. Bidder B comes along and starts chipping away at it. Your bid will increment from that original $1 until bidder B, exceeds $100. Then you are out bid. (This is why I never put in an early bid)

The Other way to do it, is to use a sniper which is what you may be thinking of. Generally, they are used for last second bidding. Other than another sniper, there is no defense against them.

I have the exact opposite approach. I know exactly how much I am willing to pay for something and put that bid in as soon as possible. If someone else is willing to pay more so be it. I don't worry about snipers, if the sniper is willing to pay more than I am they are welcome to it.

04-18-2010, 10:50 AM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I have the exact opposite approach. I know exactly how much I am willing to pay for something and put that bid in as soon as possible. If someone else is willing to pay more so be it. I don't worry about snipers, if the sniper is willing to pay more than I am they are welcome to it.
Different strokes. The sniper keeps a constant watch on the auction and the Snipe can be set up at any time. If the amount is out bid during the course of the auction, a notification is sent. At that time, I can increase the bid amount or let it go. I put in the same amount with a sniper that I would with a regular bid. The difference is, there is nothing there for people to chip away at and in many cases, I get the item for far less than my top bid. What happens is, bidder A puts in his bid, and it just sits there. Bidder B might come along and test the waters a little bit. Either A or B believe they have it in the bag. With 1 or 2 seconds remaining, MY bid is placed. If it wins, great. If not, fine, it wasn't meant to be so move on to the next one. If I decide during the course of the auction that I've changed my mind, I can cancel the snipe and there is no ebay record of my ever having bid and then retracted. Do what ever works for you, that works for me.

04-18-2010, 11:27 AM   #6

The thing I really hate is losing the auction by a dollar due to the "snipers".
04-18-2010, 12:40 PM   #7
Inactive Account

l***r( 35137)

my guess is loser

as in no life. clearly he wins lots of ebay things

04-18-2010, 06:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by basso4735 Quote
But when that happens, you have to admit the sniper was willing to pay at least a dollar more than you were. So it's not unfair, though I admit the psychology of it can be irritating.
04-18-2010, 08:49 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by basso4735 Quote
Second place will always lose by something between a penny and the minimum bid increment for that bid level. For items selling for between $25 and $100, that's $1. If the winner beats you by less than the minimum bid increment, that was his top bid. If he beat you by the minimum bid increment, no one except him knows how much he really was willing to pay.

Like Jeff, I snipe. My rule is I do it live. If I miss an item, on to the next.
04-18-2010, 09:04 PM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Second place will always lose by something between a penny and the minimum bid increment for that bid level. For items selling for between $25 and $100, that's $1. If the winner beats you by less than the minimum bid increment, that was his top bid. If he beat you by the minimum bid increment, no one except him knows how much he really was willing to pay.

Like Jeff, I snipe. My rule is I do it live. If I miss an item, on to the next.
I'll go live too if it's something I run across in the about to end list. It has become a lot easier to do now that Ebay has put the count down timer feature in. Before that, my fastest one was about 4 seconds remaining, guessing at the actual time, counting down from 1 minute. The reason I use an auto sniper is I am usually not at a computer when an auction for something I want is ending. The key to it is to bid just above the increment in your final price range.

05-18-2010, 09:29 AM   #11
Site Supporter

I know this thread is a month old, but I have a question. Do you guys that use a sniper feel comfortable giving them your ebay name and password?
05-18-2010, 01:17 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I don't use a program ... I actually personally snipe ... and try and get the timing right. And hope i don't get lag in my internet connection right at the last second.
05-18-2010, 02:30 PM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Moved this to general talk.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-18-2010, 03:35 PM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I know this thread is a month old, but I have a question. Do you guys that use a sniper feel comfortable giving them your ebay name and password?
Never been an issue for me.

05-18-2010, 04:33 PM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
I don't use a program ... I actually personally snipe ... and try and get the timing right. And hope i don't get lag in my internet connection right at the last second.
So do I, but it is not always convenient to be at the computer at 3:01 am or when you have to be elsewhere.

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Never been an issue for me.

Giving out a password seems to go in the face of logic and convention. I guess there is no other way for it to work though.