Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2010, 08:35 PM   #1

My heart aches for a Pentax

I had a Pentax K1000 with the 50 f2.0 lens for 23 years and changing camera systems was not a financial burden with one lens
When I bought a digital camera I got the Canon 300D and the system components grew.
So to change back to Pentax would be to large of a financial burden.
If you have any suggestions on how to do this without taking a financial hit please let me know.
I do have a soft spot for Pentax and often talk to the Pentax rep when in town. Peter.

04-20-2010, 09:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by picpete Quote
I had a Pentax K1000 with the 50 f2.0 lens for 23 years and changing camera systems was not a financial burden with one lens
When I bought a digital camera I got the Canon 300D and the system components grew.
So to change back to Pentax would be to large of a financial burden.
If you have any suggestions on how to do this without taking a financial hit please let me know.
I do have a soft spot for Pentax and often talk to the Pentax rep when in town. Peter.
1: sell your Canon Digital lenses. With what they charge for new ones you can get a fortune.

2: Keep your 300D and I lens.

3: By any Pentax digital kit you can afford after you sell the other Canon lenses, A New K-x with 1 lens costs about 500 now. K-7 pro is about 1,200. Plus there are more for less.

4: with what is left buy lenses. Anything Pentax will work on it. Anything M42 will screw onto it. Anything T-mount can be mounted on it. How can you lose?? Don't sell you Canon and you lose.
04-21-2010, 10:26 AM   #3

Original Poster
kacansas03

Thanks for the reply. I have been through the scenario's numerous times and keep hitting a wall. I just might buy the K-x and kit lens for hen I go to Sweden in June, just a thought. Thanks Peter.
04-21-2010, 07:03 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have to say that if I seriously decided to switch systems (I don't want to support 2 of them), selling out would not be a problem right now. Have you seen what used (desirable) lenses are going for right now?? Even the doorstops are overselling it seems.

04-21-2010, 08:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I have to say that if I seriously decided to switch systems (I don't want to support 2 of them), selling out would not be a problem right now. Have you seen what used (desirable) lenses are going for right now?? Even the doorstops are overselling it seems.

Yes, my point exactly. Especially in the Canon world where all a Canon digital owner has to chose from are lenses made since they started up the EOS mount in the late 80's. Both Nikon and Pentax have a lot of legacy lenses much older than that which will still operate in some fashion. Not Canon who was already making exceptional, fast lenses which were expensive for the manual focus FD cameras. They had to in competition with Nikon, Pentax etc. Also in those days you had many more Third Party lens builders. Then along comes the auto focus cameras and Canon is just not ready. They tried the auto focus with the FD but it just was too clumsy. So Today you have the Canon owner casting about for inexpensive lenses to cover focal lengths he wants better images from or better low light and still must pay more for used glass than Pentax owners do for new glass. The one place where Canon lords it over all others is full frame digital. All those film auto focus lenses remember work fine on a full frame. I think they have built far more full frame than anyone else. However for some reason Nikon has not run down the path as far as Canon even though they have even more quality legacy lenses. The other company with lots of quality legacy lenses for full frame digital is Pentax.