Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2010, 12:00 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Heh, I thought you already knew that it was until Sunday, that is why I was hoping that we would have got the milestone before last Sunday instead of having to do another week of this.

04-21-2010, 12:01 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I tried to snipe the millionth post with a cheap post in the post your photos forum. I think I missed it by one or two. Hey, I tried...

04-21-2010, 12:04 PM   #18
1,000,000th Poster!

Good luck to all of you to win those prizes!
04-21-2010, 12:05 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice TITLE, Flickeroo!!

04-21-2010, 12:13 PM   #20
1,000,000th Poster!

It's my only claim to Fame. But it's a great beginning!
04-21-2010, 12:15 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's at least a large beginning !
Congrats! I was in the race myself, but a charity lady at the door just stole 2 minutes of my precious time, and the race was run.
04-21-2010, 12:21 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Here is what the man said..

"The contest ends this Sunday. The formula for score calculation is listed in the announcement thread, and is basically a consideration of post count and post length. GT, Politics, and a few other forums are excluded entirely, and forums like welcomes and PYP give reduced bonuses. After we've found the winners, their posts will be manually reviewed, and their score will be adjusted by any spam/filler posts made. At that point, the final scores will be calculated and a sinner announced!"
So. It seems I am not the only one who can make a mistake!

But I am busy for the next two days so maybe it was wishful thinking. Also, since the whole concept was to get to a million I don't get why it continues... but it does, sure. <sigh>

Also I will note that this part: "forums like welcomes and PYP give reduced bonuses" is entirely new and has never been mentioned before.

Since the rules might still be changing can I petition for an increase in the count given to photos? They say a photo is worth a thousand words but this contest makes them worth only four or five. Given how much easier it is to bang out four or five words of rubbish than to shoot, process and post a photo, I find this really unfair.

(This will benefit others more than me, BTW, though I certainly post more photos than some.)

04-21-2010, 12:33 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Congratulations, Flickeroo. 3am (or about)? We in this part of the world were far too deep in sleep.
At least, for me, I am not THAT keen
04-21-2010, 01:00 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
So. It seems I am not the only one who can make a mistake!

But I am busy for the next two days so maybe it was wishful thinking. Also, since the whole concept was to get to a million I don't get why it continues... but it does, sure. <sigh>

Also I will note that this part: "forums like welcomes and PYP give reduced bonuses" is entirely new and has never been mentioned before.

Since the rules might still be changing can I petition for an increase in the count given to photos? They say a photo is worth a thousand words but this contest makes them worth only four or five. Given how much easier it is to bang out four or five words of rubbish than to shoot, process and post a photo, I find this really unfair.

(This will benefit others more than me, BTW, though I certainly post more photos than some.)
Well, to play devils advocate for you on this one, I have over a thousand photos from my *ist DS that I could easily post one by one, and that's just a single example of someone, so if you make photos worth more than like one point each and have it maybe cap at 50 points, then there's going to be a lot MORE spamming in post your photos than there is now.
04-21-2010, 01:31 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
Well, to play devils advocate for you on this one, I have over a thousand photos from my *ist DS that I could easily post one by one, and that's just a single example of someone, so if you make photos worth more than like one point each and have it maybe cap at 50 points, then there's going to be a lot MORE spamming in post your photos than there is now.
So, your only response is to threaten more spamming? Wow.
04-21-2010, 01:32 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
So, your only response is to threaten more spamming? Wow.
That wasn't my response at all, but I was afraid that it might be taken that way.

I have no intention of spamming the forum with photos, but I'm just saying that since I was playing devils advocate, that anyone could go and do that and take the lead away from both of us, and we would just end up with a thousand new photos in the post your photos section, keeping anyone else from being able to post any and have them actually get noticed. Remember our 300 post wonder the other day? If they're just posting photos without a limit then they can easily do that again.
04-21-2010, 01:35 PM   #27
Site Supporter

That wasn't my response at all, but I was afraid that it might be taken that way.

I have no intention of spamming the forum with photos, but I'm just saying that since I was playing devils advocate, that anyone could go and do that and take the lead away from both of us, and we would just end up with a thousand new photos in the post your photos section, keeping anyone else from being able to post any and have them actually get noticed. Remember our 300 post wonder the other day? If they're just posting photos without a limit then they can easily do that again.
Who hit 300 posts in a day? The most I have ever been able to hit was ~127 and that was during this contest once and is probably 4x my record.
04-21-2010, 01:36 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Who hit 300 posts in a day?
His name was a bunch of numbers or something, he posted one or two word comments on pretty much every photo put up in the last month on the post your photos section, which was easy to see and weed out by Adam, but with photos it's a bit more difficult to do that.
04-21-2010, 01:39 PM   #29
Site Supporter

His name was a bunch of numbers or something, he posted one or two word comments on pretty much every photo put up in the last month on the post your photos section, which was easy to see and weed out by Adam, but with photos it's a bit more difficult to do that.
O.k. I remember him. I'd forgot about him. It actually takes more effort to post images unless they were to just post unfinished stuff without resizing etc.
04-21-2010, 01:43 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
O.k. I remember him. I'd forgot about him. It actually takes more effort to post images unless they were to just post unfinished stuff without resizing etc.
Well in my case I already have over a thousand of them that I took last summer that I haven't posted, and I'm sure that I'm not the only one, so anyone else could just keep putting them up like that. It's just too difficult to track at this point I think, but I agree that posted photos should have some kind of value, the bbcode still counts though so it doesn't hurt your score, you just don't get bonuses from it.
Closed Thread