Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2010, 10:15 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been like *overflown* by Marine One+decoys, once when I was in the general area outside DC. No idea if the Resident was aboard. Shiny heloes, though.

Was pretty random, I think I was just walking around in some woods.

04-22-2010, 10:23 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Being a Professional chef I have served the Queen of England and Prince Phillip lunch, Their son Edward, The Sultan of Brunai, David Suzuki (who does not eat sea bass b/c it is endangered) The former president of Peru and the former Lieutenant Governor of Alberta, Lois Hole who personally raved on to me about my creme brulee and chocolate dipped strawberries. I also met Sarah McLachlan's former husband and her 2 kids on the beach in Tofino one day (she has a house on the beach there) who told us we could have our dog off leash and even went to get their 2 dogs out of the yard so our dog could play with them.
He was a really nice friendly guy and Sarah was out surfing (awesome surfer btw) while we were talking to him. We didn't meet her as we moved on down the beach after a while and I only noticed it was her when we were getting ready to leave...funny thing was I kept saying to my BF at the time...I just know that guy from somewhere but Couldn't put my finger on it...he is/was her drummer in her band.
04-22-2010, 02:45 PM   #18
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Have you met or known someone famous?
Too many to really list but...

I used to work on Alyssa Milano's mom's computers. Had dinner over at her mom's a couple of times with Alyssa in attendance. Nice family.

Went to a favorite sushi restaurant one day in West LA and there was Wilford Brimley. Sat down and had a polite conversations with him and told him that I loved his work, and that I'd always remember him from the role in Cocoon. He told me he didn't much like coming
to LA, but that the sushi almost made it worth his while.

I met Julian Sands at a restaurant in Los Angeles. Shook his hand and told him that a Room with a View was a favorite movie. He thanked me.

I was in another sushi place in Beverly Hills when Richard Dryfus came in and closed the place... anyone already in could stay. I was not so impressed. Did not bother to go over and meet him. So just a brush.

Rode an elevator in West LA with Roger Rees who played Robin Colcord on Cheers. Of course I told him that the show and he were great...

Was at El Rancho on Ventura Boulevard for a burrito one night when David Hasselhof, his wife and either one or two little daughters (can't quite recall) came in for dinner. They sat in the next booth. I told him I'd been a big fan of Night Rider as a kid.

Met Christopher Meloni who plays Detective Elliot Stabler on Law and order in a Walmart in Western Connecticut. I was looking at weights... and he came by and looked as well - in passing really. I recognized him, shook his hand and told him that I am a big fan of Law and Order.

I saw Robert Vaughn in a crowd at Barnum and Bailey circus in Hartford. I could not for the life of me recall anything (of the many, many, many things he has done) other than The Man from U.N.C.L.E., so I shook his hand and told him that as a kid he and David McCallum had thrilled me, my brother and all of our friends.

There have been others. Just can't remember them all. These were standouts for whatever reason.

woof
04-22-2010, 04:02 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Maybe for some, the more interesting question would be, "What's your most *recent* brush with fame?"

I guess I'd have to think about that one, myself.

I was all but assured I'd have run into Michael Stipe by now, actually.

04-22-2010, 05:38 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had dinner with Prince Charles a few times (along with many other undergraduates at Trinity College, Cambridge ). Sat across the table from him and chatted a couple of times.

I met Pat Hewitt (ex. UK government minister) and Arianna Huffington (she was Stassinopoulos then) at Uni.

I did supervisions with Merlin Hay who is now the Earl of Errol (Merlin Hay, 24th Earl of Erroll - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). His grandfather was probably more famous in that a film was made of his murder, with Charles Dance playing the grandfather. White Mischief.

I met Crown Prince Alexander of Yugoslavia at a party in Germany.

I bumped into (literally, I wasn't looking where I was going) Muhammad Ali at la Guardia airport.

I met Emmylou Harris at Canberra Airport.

I met Olivia Newton-John's father, Bryn, at a party in Sydney. Interesting guy. He worked on Enigma at Bletchley Park in WW2.

There are a few others.

Richard.
04-22-2010, 06:42 PM   #21
Inactive Account

I got an e-mail from my agent today in regards to an extras casting for a new movie, The Killer Elite, being shot in Melbourne.

Jason Statham and Clive Owen are the main actors in the film so this could be cool! Let's hope they don't notice the 2 foot of plaster on my arm at the casting.

I'll just add also that my old man went to trade school with the drummer from ACDC, Phil Rudd. They used to have counter meals at a pub in Collingwood.
04-22-2010, 08:14 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I shook hands with Marian Anderson at a reception after the concert which marked the racial integration of the Lyric Concert Hall here in Baltimore.

George Young former GM of the NY Giants (R.I.P.) was my high school football coach.

04-22-2010, 08:31 PM   #23
Veteran Member

My cousin is Anthony Kiedis of the Red Hot Chili Peppers. :ugh:
04-22-2010, 10:57 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I met Terry Jacks at a horse jumping event. It turns out that I had been friends with his daughter for years.
Although I didn't have the faintest idea whom he was he told me he had sung the song "We had Joy, We had Fun" and I had to remark that I remembered singing it in kindergarten.
He forgave me for telling the truth, and we all had a great weekend together.

I even got to drive his Benz, to pick up the pizza
04-23-2010, 12:42 AM   #25
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
I did a thread like this on a barbecue site before they kicked me out
Hang on a minute.. what happens on a BBQ site?
04-23-2010, 04:20 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

But wait, there's more ...
One of my brothers was dating a daughter of Geoffrey Household around the time that a film was being made of one of his novels, Rogue Male. My brother went to stay for a weekend and was happy to meet the other weekend guest, Peter O'Toole, who was there to discuss his role in the film. An earlier version was made by Fritz Lang with Walter Pidgeon in the title role.
Talking about actors, I nod at Geoffrey Rush every now and then and he nods back at me. He's a local.
As is/was Judith Durham (The Seekers), but I haven't seen her for a while. I hope she's OK.
And, just to make it international, I shook hands with John Sununu in Oct/Nov 1988 when he was Governor of NH. He was giving a campaign speech in the hotel I was staying in in Nashua, NH. I was doing some training with Digital and the guy organising the course thought it might be interesting for all us foreigners to see something of the American democratic process. It was interesting, but I didn't get to go skiing with him

Richard.
04-23-2010, 01:09 PM   #27
graphicgr8s

Well a friend's dad was an agent of sorts and one time he brought the Monkees over his house while I was there so I did get to meet them. And I cooked a meal for Raquel Welch while I was helping my cousin in NYC (he's a chef and use to call me in to help out. Pay was great so I went)

Met Mickey Rooney at the Yonkers jail when he was filming the movie "Bill"
04-23-2010, 02:59 PM   #28
Pentaxian

As a kid, I grew up in Vero Beach, Fla. the spring training home of the Dodgers until a couple of years ago. My father managed a hotel in town and many of the players stayed there and some of their familys. In the early to mid 60's, I met most of the players and coaches at the time. Pretty exciting stuff for a 12-14 yr old.
04-23-2010, 08:37 PM   #29
graphicgr8s

My wife has met Tony Dungy and Lee Roy Selmon. They shop were she works. Tony had a birthday party for one of his nephews at my next door neighbors. My brother in law put the alarm system in Steinbrenners Tampa house.

RML, W in AF 1 flew over my house on 9/11.
04-24-2010, 07:44 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fractal Quote
I got an e-mail from my agent today in regards to an extras casting for a new movie, The Killer Elite, being shot in Melbourne.

Jason Statham and Clive Owen are the main actors in the film so this could be cool! Let's hope they don't notice the 2 foot of plaster on my arm at the casting.
You can be like, "Hey, they said it was a *cast*ing call. Har, har."