Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2010, 09:50 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Through an odd sequence of events and a 40-something hour day I spent roughly 24 hours straight working as a roadie for Finger 11. Never actually met the band but I helped set up their stage and the scaffolding that went with it, set up their sound gear and staged the green room for them (liquor and several kilos of M&M peanuts amongst other things). Once everything was ready to go the lead singer of their opening act (Pilate at the time, they play under a different name now) asked me to fill in for somebody that didn't show and run their merchandise table. It was an interesting experience and watching the band brush off the girls trying to pick them up after the show was kind of fun.

04-25-2010, 05:36 AM   #32

Photos: Albums
Let's see, if we go back quite a few years, I got to shake Kirk Douglas's hand. The Lakers were playing the Spurs in the playoffs, so a few of us from the barracks managed to get tickets. At the end of the game, the rest of the crew rushed the floor trying to get Lakers autographs. I wasn't interested so I stayed at the edge of the court. The crowd parted and up walked Mr Douglas looking confused that someone was standing in his way. I smiled and stuck out my hand, he gave me a hand shake and a pat on the should and continued on his way to an exit.
Other than that, I got to meet Ms Amanpour and Mr Rather while deployed.
Kate Moss has a house in the next village. Last year she cut me up while she was "trying" to drive her little taxi, so I flipped her off. Does that count?

Last edited by opfor; 04-27-2010 at 01:06 AM. Reason: typo
04-25-2010, 06:40 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Well I don't recognise most of those names, so I'll add to the confusion-
Jerry Collins
Tamati Ellison
Jacob Ellison
Ken Laban
Andy Leslie
Ken Gray
Terry Serepisos
Quite a few of the Hurricanes
Some Oscar winner whose name I can't remember
Worked for Peter Jackson on his house, but didn't meet him.
04-25-2010, 07:19 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hmmm... haven't met too many famous people personally.
I almost made it to a Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat autograph signing when I was 11, but I guess that doesn't count? LOL.

Right now, I work for a stationery company that does high end personalized stuff, we get to see quite a few famous names. That might count... I did a birth announcement quite a few years back for Shaq's new baby.

04-26-2010, 11:42 AM   #35
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by opfor Quote
Let's see, if we go back quite a few years, I got to shake Kirk Dougas's hand. The Lakers were playing the Spurs in the playoffs, so a few of us from the barracks managed to get tickets. At the end of the game, the rest of the crew rushed the floor trying to get Lakers autographs. I wasn't interested so I stayed at the edge of the court. The crowd parted and up walked Mr Douglas looking confused that someone was standing in his way. I smiled and stuck out my hand, he gave me a hand shake and a pat on the should and continued on his way to an exit.
Other than that, I got to meet Ms Amanpour and Mr Rather while deployed.
Kate Moss has a house in the next village. Last year she cut me up while she was "trying" to drive her little taxi, so I flipped her off. Does that count?

Only if she saw you do it.

04-26-2010, 03:23 PM   #36
Ira
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fractal Quote
Hang on a minute.. what happens on a BBQ site?
Rednecks meet New York Jew.

THAT'S what happens!
04-26-2010, 10:48 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Iron Man?

Was having a late breakfast in a very small, empty, kinda dingy coffee shop couple years ago on a quiet Santa Monica side street with my wife and an old friend of hers, when I noticed this older hippie-like guy shuffle up to the counter to order. At the time, "The Osbornes" was a popular show, and I watched it occasionally.

I was kinda chuckling to myself about how much that guy walked and moved like Ozzie Osborne, when I suddenly realized with a great shock that it was Ozzie Osborne.

When we left we stopped at his table quickly (he was with some other guy, like maybe an agent-type guy,) to tell him how much we liked his show, etc. He was very friendly.

04-27-2010, 12:19 AM   #38
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
I was kinda chuckling to myself about how much that guy walked and moved like Ozzie Osborne, when I suddenly realized with a great shock that it was Ozzie Osborne.
You lucky bastard.
04-27-2010, 01:09 AM   #39

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote

Only if she saw you do it.

I'm assuming she may have since she returned the salutation...
04-27-2010, 10:42 PM   #40

Hmm, not many.

Andy Hull from the band Manchester Orchestra
David O'Conner, equestrian Olympic gold medalist
Chuck Palahniuk, writer of Fight Club & Choke
Clark Gregg

I "hang out" with Eric Schaeffer from time to time. No one probably knows who he is, but he's one of my favorite actors. He usually directs the movies and tv shows he acts in, too. And no, I'm not going to elaborate on "hang out".

Going to meet Rick Springfield next month. Maybe Willie Nelson, too.
04-28-2010, 02:45 AM   #41
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by perrumpo Quote
chuck palahniuk, writer of fight club & choke
You're not supposed to talk about it!!!
04-28-2010, 02:00 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Pete Postlethwaite and I drank ourselves into oblivion one night last year.

And he can drink some beer!
04-28-2010, 07:05 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Ah, let's see. Back in 1993 on returning from Germany, I was standing in line waiting to clear customs. The guy in front of me had a bass strapped to his back, and being a bassist myself, I chatted him up a bit. Turns out it was Doug Wimbish was the bassist for Living Colour. Now, while I was a fan of the band, I didn't recognize him as he had only been with them for a few months, replacing Muzz Skillings.

Beyond that, I've met and partied with quite a few current and former NHL players and coaches. Brian Boucher, Andy Delmore, Mark Eaton, Billy Barber, Gene Hart, Richard Park, John Stevens, Bob Hartley just to name a few.
04-29-2010, 04:08 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Way way back during the second punic wars I was in the Army at Fort Dix NJ. Four us in our company went to NYC in uniform so there was no doubt we were GIs.

Anyway we found a little out of the way bar in Manhattan and ordered drinks. Came to pay for it and the waiter said "courtesy of Mr Lemmon." We looked up and this guy waved to us.

It was Jack Lemmon the actor (1925-2001). We asked the waiter about this and he said Mr Lemmon had a great respect for the men in uniform and often bought them drinks when they came into his bar.
04-29-2010, 04:57 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Not a brush with fame, but a brush with faux-fame...

Back in the late 80s I was elk hunting in Colorado with my stepfather Duane and his brother Norm. We had been out for about a week and decided we needed a break so we drove into Glenwood Springs where we checked into a hotel and had some much needed showers. Well, after that we went to dinner at the Hotel Colorado. We were sitting there looking at the menus and we gradually became aware that people were staring at us. We joked that even after our showers we probably looked a bit rough but it was like we couldn't be that unusual a sight during hunting season.

Just after placing our order, a guy walked up to our table and looked Norm square in the eye and said...
"Mr Nelson, I hate to bother you but I'm one of your biggest fans and just had to get your autograph!"
Well, Duane and I are looking at each other in disbelief and I started to say something when I got kicked in the shin.

Just then Norm spoke up...
"Why of course sir!
and signed the paper the guy had handed him.

The signature... Willy Nelson...

After that, at least a half dozen people came over and Norm blithly signed each piece of paper... Willy Nelson, Willy Nelson, Willy Nelson...

Somehow we managed to keep straight faces even when the waiter said that dinner was on the restaurant (we refused this offer of course) but when we left we busted out laughing.

Norm then explained that that happened to him all of the time and he normally told folks he wasn't Willie, but this time he was just in a mood and decided to roll with it.

At least he had the presence of mind to spell "Willie" wrong... but to this day, a bunch of folks probably have "Willy Nelson" signatures proudly hung on their walls.

Mike

Last edited by MRRiley; 04-29-2010 at 05:13 AM. Reason: damned typos