Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2010, 01:29 PM   #1
Veteran Member

More stupidity in America

'South Park' gets modified by Comedy Central – The Marquee Blog - CNN.com Blogs

I have never watched the show but I do think that any censorship is wrong, I understand that we don't want a death sentence issued on our lives by radical Islamic sects but please.

04-22-2010, 01:42 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I do follow South Park, it is one of the best combinations of sarcasm and criticism out there. It is certainly a shame that the so-called religion of peace still gets away with their invalid notion of no-criticism of any kind. On that same episode the Buddha was snorting coke, and yet we haven't seen any threats from any buddhist.

This whole situation just proved the point the episode was presenting: freedom of speech should prevail and until your beliefs are supported by evidence you will be criticized and mocked if your ideas are just dumb (as the worldview most religions advocate).

I just hope the creators of the show don't end up like Theo van Gogh.
04-22-2010, 05:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Death threats to the creators of South Park for the second time by a Muslim group for satirical presentation of Mohamed. This is a bunch of BS. If I ran a website called RednecksforFreedom.com , I'd have law enforcement agencies up my butt 24/7 but in PC world these Islamic extremeists can do as they will .
Why are these few individuals at MuslimRevolution.com allowed to get away with this crap?
Messing with South Park is just just just ...going too far!

Last edited by seacapt; 04-22-2010 at 05:22 PM.
04-22-2010, 06:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The only problem about South Park is, when they *actually* offend people, they hide behind 'satire,' (even if what they ostensibly satirize, they pulled out their own behinds,) and otherwise claim to be unutterably-fearless.

That said, What's your point?

Yes, someone with a holy book will threaten you. People with network money behind them aren't my first worry.

(I left a post for you in another thread, btw.)

But what is it you are asking *here?*

04-22-2010, 07:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
The only problem about South Park is, when they *actually* offend people, they hide behind 'satire,' (even if what they ostensibly satirize, they pulled out their own behinds,) and otherwise claim to be unutterably-fearless.

Yes, someone with a holy book will threaten you. People with network money behind them aren't my first worry.

actually what I was trying to say here is that its crazy that we censor what we say and offer Islam a level of hands off that we don't apply to any other religion. We do this because radical Islam is willing to commit violence due to their interpretion of Islamic law. I guess I am simply saying the I find it wrong that we choose to curtail what we say because we may offend a religion that is supposedly peaceful.

I saw your other post and I am still trying to figure out if it was a backhanded insult haven't quite figured it out yet but hey I'm working on it.
04-22-2010, 07:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Evening Rat, Not sure if you were typing to me or Gokenin but my take on this is.......
SouthPark has unilatterally made fun of every group on the planet. This is only the 2nd time I know of that the episode has been censored. Both instances were due to Muslim threats. They even lost a character because they wouldn't give in to the Scientologists.
We know who sent the warning. Lets send in BATF ,FBI , CIA and Hillary freakin Clinton to give them the Waco treatment.
04-22-2010, 07:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by seacapt Quote
Death threats to the creators of South Park for the second time by a Muslim group for satirical presentation of Mohamed. This is a bunch of BS. If I ran a website called RednecksforFreedom.com , I'd have law enforcement agencies up my butt 24/7 but in PC world these Islamic extremeists can do as they will .
Why are these few individuals at MuslimRevolution.com allowed to get away with this crap?
Messing with South Park is just just just ...going too far!
I've never seen South Park, and know nothing of it...I'm not into much on the tube. But I am in full agreement with you here Seacapt, just trusting your judgment, and not personally being a big Muslim fan...I think I may have said that a time or two on this Forum?
Best Regards
Your Pal
Rupert

04-22-2010, 08:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I've never seen South Park, and know nothing of it...I'm not into much on the tube. But I am in full agreement with you here Seacapt, just trusting your judgment, and not personally being a big Muslim fan...I think I may have said that a time or two on this Forum?
Best Regards
Your Pal
Rupert
Well Rupert, if you get a little chuckle out of Foamy the Squirell , the foul mouthed little characters in South Park will make you laugh so hard you'll pee your pants!
04-23-2010, 07:13 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Free speech in the US

Today, Comedy Central decided not to show a Muhammed parody in a South Park episode over Internet threats.

See also: BBC News - South Park creators warned over Muhammad depiction
and: http://www.newsweek.com/id/236828

All you need to do is to identify yourself as a Muslim fanatic and suggest something bad might happen for US TV makers to cut scenes out of a program.
What happened to free speech in America?
04-23-2010, 07:14 AM   #10
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, they offend people. Like DUH!
What's your point?

---------- Post added 04-23-2010 at 09:16 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I've never seen South Park, and know nothing of it...I'm not into much on the tube.
Rupert
Rupert, you would love it. It offends people even more than you do!
04-23-2010, 07:25 AM   #11
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
What's your point?

Rupert, you would love it. It offends people even more than you do!
Hmmm....Where do I find this program? Sounds pretty fair minded to me.....
04-23-2010, 07:58 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Our first amendment only really applies to the government in most cases. Private entities can censor their own content (or that of their subsidiaries, in this case South Park) to their hearts content. Their network their rules.

If they chose to give in to the terrorists and let them win then that's their business. However, it's our business to call them cowards when they do...

Mike

Last edited by MRRiley; 04-23-2010 at 08:04 AM. Reason: clarification
04-23-2010, 11:10 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
What's your point?

Yeah, it is kind of the point of that show, and Family Guy, and a few other animated wars on political correctness.
04-23-2010, 11:35 AM   #14
Site Supporter

I don't find Southpark offensive.
I find it hilarious.
'Offended' is in the mind of the viewer.
We had a saying once for folks that can't take a joke.

They do poke at just about everybody and everything.

I just need to take a step back and laugh at it all sometimes.
04-23-2010, 11:44 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Duplicate thread. Perhaps a candidate for closure.
Thanks Gene... I've merged the 2 threads...

Mike
Closed Thread