Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2010, 04:18 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by vparseval Quote
I can only praise the US postal service: They are often faster than FedEx or UPS Ground and generally have less issues with dropping a package on the porch or handing it to a neighbor. And if they for some reason can't do this, I can pick it up from the local post office which is just around my corner and which will not demand pieces of identification that I am not obliged to possess. And they'll deliver on Saturday, too.
Once you've had some mail stolen from you, you won't have a gripe with them asking for at least some sort if ID.
It shouldn't have to be much, just a call to the listed phone number and asking whomever's answering if it's truly you should be sufficient in most cases.

04-23-2010, 06:22 AM   #17
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Once you've had some mail stolen from you, you won't have a gripe with them asking for at least some sort if ID.
It shouldn't have to be much, just a call to the listed phone number and asking whomever's answering if it's truly you should be sufficient in most cases.
as someone who actually has had mail stolen, including by the carrier (**** you fedex) I agree.
04-23-2010, 07:26 AM   #18
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I've never had a problem with UPS, but Fed-Ex is another story. If 1 package was shipped it would arrive. If two or more were shipped, at least one of them would tour the country first, arriving 2-5 days later than the others. I finally started putting a statement on my orders to vendors that delivery would be refused if shipped Fed-Ex. One of them didn't believe me and I actually refused a delivery.
04-23-2010, 10:21 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
A better question is has anybody actually had good service from UPS?
I have some fairly strong opinions about them:
Dishonest, unprofessional, lying, cheating, thieving bastards.
And their mommies dress them funny.
I have had some pretty awesome service form UPS actually.

It really varies with your location what kind of service you get form what carrier. If you live in a really rural area, you get screwed by pretty much all of them at least some of the time. The long routes make it hard to be profitable, and thus drivers are told to do more than is feasible in the time alloted without cutting corners.

FedEx home delivery is uniformly the worst there is. This is because every driver is a contractor, and the rules for them not getting penalized encourage them to screw you over. Getting them to hold something at the customer counter (which isn't a fedex customer counter), is impossible until they have made the max number of attempts. They will tell you otherwise. The optimal location for them is someplace where population density is decent, but not too high, and cost of living is lower. This allows the drivers to make money, do the right thing, and still work a somewhat normal day. High population density, high cost of living is the worst.

If you live in a place where the routes are a sane length, both fedex and UPS are decent. Although I'll give the edge to UPS for not losing stuff. Which is mainly due to the fact that UPS moves things through at top speed. I order ground from upstate NY, and it gets here in 24 hours. I order 2 day form fedex, and they will pull the package and sit on it for a day so I don't get free overnight. Fedex's system is designed to move at maximum speed. Stuff that is held to delay it has a MUCH higher chance of getting lost, mis-routed, or damaged. FedEx is also much more likely to experience problems due to weather.

04-23-2010, 10:41 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
See what I don't understand is that Canada Post has places where you can go and pick up your package if the carrier misses you. Wouldn't it be much more plausible for both FedEx and UPS to do the same? I know FedEx used to have places downtown where you could go and pick up parcels and drop off ones for shipping. I bought a Dell computer about 5 years ago and was able to pick it up downtown a few blocks from my place at a FED-EX satellite drop off/ pick up point.. I sent a camera in for repair and was told to use UPS which had a drop off place a few blocks from my house...so my question is why wouldn't they have places where if you couldn't be home, you could make arrangements to go and pick up the item at a satellite store like Canada Post? Why does one have to make a trip all the way out to the one and only Pick up depot up at the north end of the city by the airport?

I mean am I crazy or does it make too much sense???
04-23-2010, 10:45 PM   #21
emr

Recently I bought the DA 15mm from B&H with UPS shipping and decided that it's the very last time I order anything with UPS. The lens was in the same town for nearly a week before I got it. They just kept coming to our house during the day when naturally nobody's home. The local sub-contractor who delivers UPS has no proper contact phone number and they don't have a pick-up place either. Since I couldn't have it delivered at work, my only option was to sign the agreement for them to just leave the package outside our door.

DHL (in this case actually dhl.de) on the other hand also does the first futile attempt at our house door, but if nobody's home, they leave the package at the nearby post office where I can pick it up. No problem.
04-23-2010, 11:05 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I long ago learned to stay as far away from UPS and all other courier services as possible.

I am very particular to specify to the vendors that they must use USPS as I will not accept parcels from any courier.
I have twice refused parcels when the shipper ignored my instructions. The parcels were returned and reshipped by mail.

The couriers will always find a way to add additional charges over and above the shipping prices quoted to your vendor.
Their most aggravating is the "brokerage fees".
They have their own brokerage departments and even though photo equipment comes into Canada duty free they say it must go through a customs broker.
They first time they tried that with me I told them I had not authorized them to use any broker of their choice as I had my own broker.

They will also, at some time after a delivery, which you have signed for, send you an invoice for whatever. They will keep on billing you month after month and eventually send it to a collection agency. I just ignored the notices and when the agency phoned me threatening to take me to court I said I would be glad to see them in court and if they didn't stop harassing me I would institute a court action.
I never heard from them after that.

In my experience, couriers may have a place within Canada but across borders they become abhorent predators.

Mickey

04-23-2010, 11:14 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I guess it much depends on the delivery guys in your area. Over the years I have seen 2 UPS guys done my deliveries and never had any issue. Employees from hell are everywhere, much depends on your luck.
04-25-2010, 11:58 AM   #24
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Never had a problem with any service. And I have huge respect for USPS.
04-25-2010, 12:33 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I had a great UPS guy last week.

1) He came back a second time in the same day on the odd chance I had gotten home after 5.

2) He said "And you owe $45 for brokerage and tax, that sucks... man we charge way too much for brokerage. Those fees are ... etc"

Also, with UPS you can pick up a parcel here, BUT they are only open for 2 hours 5 days a week, from 4 til 6.

But with UPS you can call that number and have the parcel redirected, which I often do and have it sent to my office.
04-25-2010, 05:41 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Typically UPS leaves a lot of packages unattented and no need to sign...I certainly would not sit around for 9.5 hours waiting for a package unless I really had nothing else to do. Another thing....they will never come to your house when you choose for them to. They will drop off/pick up any packages in each neighborhood or section of town as they pass through...times vary depending on how much stuff they have for the day.
04-25-2010, 06:09 PM   #27
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by timstone Quote
Typically UPS leaves a lot of packages unattented and no need to sign...I certainly would not sit around for 9.5 hours waiting for a package unless I really had nothing else to do. Another thing....they will never come to your house when you choose for them to. They will drop off/pick up any packages in each neighborhood or section of town as they pass through...times vary depending on how much stuff they have for the day.
You aren't being charged a Brokerage fee for them to release the package to you. They may try and send you an invoice for Brokerage however. The one time they tried it with me, I filed it in the appropriate place.

I happen to know when UPS is typically in my neighborhood (from experience) so I'm usually here to meet them..

04-25-2010, 06:23 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I too stay away from any vendor who uses UPS/Fedex exclusively. The brokerage fee they charge are outrageously high. I don't have problems with USPS and Canada Post as they seem to do a great job, when I am not home, they leave a slip for me to pick up at the nearest post office the following day.
04-26-2010, 01:38 AM   #29
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Happens sometimes, sadly. I guess it's got to be the luck of the draw on who shows to to deliver. Whenever I've missed the deliver guy, though, their customer service reps always seemed to go a good job of arranging after-hours pickup, however!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-18-2010, 09:27 AM   #30
Veteran Member

I've got a funny USPS story.

I bought a lens via the marketplace and it arrived last Friday. No one was home to sign for it so we had to go pick it up Saturday. While the worker is bringing the package to the counter she drops it. TWICE. I don't say anything, assuming it was packaged well enough. She sort of asks what's in the box and I tell her - a camera lens - expecting she'll apologize for being careless and dropping it. Nope. She looks me in the eye and says, "I hope you're not paparazzi".