Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2018, 03:12 PM - 1 Like   #15001
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
Did it have a generous flange near the aperture activating lever? This can also prevent mounting on recent bodies. But can be modified or removed completely.
similar to this perhaps:

" Third Party Variants of the K-mount

Pentax made the original "K" mount available for other camera manufacturers to adopt. . . . Several third party lens manufacturers produce or has produced lenses with a K-mount. There are no issues with current third party lenses in K-mount, but for older lenses there are two traps to watch out for: . . .

The other trap is the shield that protects the aperture stop down lever. The image to the left shows what the shield should look like and does look like on a genuine Pentax lens. Some older third party lenses have a much larger shield which prevents mounting the lens on a Pentax DSLR. Current third party lenses (Sigma, Tamron, Rokinon, etc.) have correctly shaped shields (or no shields) and pose no problem. "

Read more at: The Evolution of the Pentax K-mount - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

please follow the link for the photo

12-28-2018, 07:45 PM   #15002
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
The other trap is the shield that protects the aperture stop down lever. The image to the left shows what the shield should look like and does look like on a genuine Pentax lens. Some older third party lenses have a much larger shield which prevents mounting the lens on a Pentax DSLR. Current third party lenses (Sigma, Tamron, Rokinon, etc.) have correctly shaped shields (or no shields) and pose no problem. "

Read more at: The Evolution of the Pentax K-mount - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

please follow the link for the photo
Very interesting, thanks for sharing that.
12-29-2018, 06:58 AM - 1 Like   #15003

My most recent aquisition is one of the old 28-200mm Sigma zooms, to use as a "walkabout" lens on the K1. I used to have the Pentax 28-200mm back in my film days and while not the bests performer it was useful for holiday stuff where I didn't want to change lenses.
12-29-2018, 07:08 AM - 3 Likes   #15004
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just bought a Neewer gimbal for telephoto lens stability

12-29-2018, 11:35 AM - 1 Like   #15005
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I was looking for a multi tool with " Allen " ( hex ) wrench and could not find one except with an " add on " kit

I then found this: " A13 Photographers Multi-Tool 5/32 (4mm) Allen Wrench Hex and Flat Head Key Chain Tool " at Amazon

it is a split ring with attached to it a two sided tool, one a Allen wrench ( hex ) and the other a flat blade screw driver

1.1 " ( 28 mm ) split ring

1/4 " ( 6mm ) flat blade

5/32 " ( 4mm ) Allen ( hex ) wrench

the Allen wrench fits perfectly

I will attach it to my sling and now I will be able to remove my Joby ultra plate without remembering to bring a tool.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 

Last edited by aslyfox; 12-29-2018 at 01:12 PM.
12-29-2018, 03:29 PM - 1 Like   #15006
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Used gift card from daughter and son-in-law for 1 pair fleece lined jeans (snowblower tool!), 2 pair regular jeans and a tank of fuel for the pickup.
12-29-2018, 03:39 PM   #15007
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Used gift card from daughter and son-in-law for 1 pair fleece lined jeans (snowblower tool!), 2 pair regular jeans and a tank of fuel for the pickup.
who or what are you picking up

12-29-2018, 03:52 PM - 1 Like   #15008
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
who or what are you picking up
Sm**tass. It's 185 Km from here to the dealer and to CostCo.

Good shot.
12-29-2018, 04:38 PM   #15009
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Sm**tass. It's 185 Km from here to the dealer and to CostCo.

Good shot.
glad you have a sense of humor
12-29-2018, 04:40 PM - 3 Likes   #15010
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Mamiya Macro Sekor 60mm f2.8 (left) vs Vivitar (Komine) 55mm f2.8 Macro

full extension (both are 1:1 macros)

12-29-2018, 06:38 PM - 1 Like   #15011
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A Yongnuo YN50MM F1.8N lens (for Nikon) that Cash Converters had listed as the Canon version, and priced at £35 including postage - they're usually much more expensive. I've wanted to try one for ages, see how it compares to my aged AF Nikkor 50/1.8

Assuming it arrives safely, I ought to make a bit of profit whichever one I end up keeping.
12-29-2018, 06:49 PM - 2 Likes   #15012
Veteran Member

Vivitar Macro-Focusing Teleconverter. The PKA version is apparently fairly rare. I've matched it to an A50/1.7 with some very impressive results so far. Not sure it will ever take the place of my M100/4 Macro but it does serve multiple purposes, is small, and the IQ is surprisingly good. This teleconverter is essentially a helical extension tube on top of a 2x teleconvertor. Using a 50mm lens, it allows up to 1:1 magnification. Can be found as P-KM and P-KA with auto aperture contacts (as well as other mounts). Supposedly the same device is available with the brand names Panagor, Albinar and Lester Dine, but not in the"A" configuration. All were reportedly manufactured by Kiron.

12-29-2018, 08:39 PM - 1 Like   #15013
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Vivitar Macro-Focusing Teleconverter. The PKA version is apparently fairly rare. I've matched it to an A50/1.7 with some very impressive results so far. Not sure it will ever take the place of my M100/4 Macro but it does serve multiple purposes, is small, and the IQ is surprisingly good. This teleconverter is essentially a helical extension tube on top of a 2x teleconvertor. Using a 50mm lens, it allows up to 1:1 magnification. Can be found as P-KM and P-KA with auto aperture contacts (as well as other mounts). Supposedly the same device is available with the brand names Panagor, Albinar and Lester Dine, but not in the"A" configuration. All were reportedly manufactured by Kiron.

I have the KAX brand of the same item in the PK-A mount. I picked it up a few months ago for almost no cost when I bought my M28mm/f3.5. The guy selling the lens did not know what price to put on it (could not find KAX as a camera brand name), so he offered me the two for a bit over $50AUD (originally asking $50 for the 28mm). I am trying to get the auto coupling to work properly with my "spare" A50mm/f1.7 so I can compare images with my Tamron 52B, one of the contacts is a bit sticky I think.

---------- Post added 12-29-18 at 08:55 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
How about an "I almost acquired....."?

On the website for the local camera dealers they have a "pre-owned" section, and looking it through it last week I spotted they had listed a Tamron 35080 f2.8 SP macro lens which said it suited Pentax. These were one of the Adaptall lenses that you purchased the camera mount seperately to the lens so you could use it over different bodies.

Anyway I went into the shop at crack of sparrows yesterday, the nice bloke behind the counter got the lens and although it looked in good condition it just would not fit on the K100D body I'd taken with me. It seemed to have trouble aligning and then it would only turn a short distance before stopping, so it would not lock into place.

It's a shame as it was a bargain price and would have been a great manual lens for what I was planning to do, but I wan't going to risk it.
This is a really good lens if you can get one in good condition. The macro is 1:2.5 so it's almost a real macro lens, and has the classic Adaptall2 SP build quality. I had one for years, the semi-permanent lens on my Pentax LX body taking high-res slides. Unfortunately it developed fungus on the back element, so images became fuzzy and I had to dump it. I found another languishing in a pre-owned section of a reputable camera shop, sitting with another Adaptall-2 SP, the 60-300mm. I bought both, and they are giving spectacular images on my K70. I rate the images much better than the two similar lenses I have, Pentax FA 35-80 and Sigma 28-90mm.

The alignment is, as others have said, probably just that the PK or PKA adapter ring is not seated properly. (Or even there is no adapter ring if you can see the green dot). It's worth following up, the PKA adapter rings on E-Bay are usually about $20-40, so you could end up with a high-quality practical manual-focus zoom with macro for total under $100. I had one second-hand dealer who swapped my Olympus adapter for a PK one at no charge.
12-29-2018, 09:48 PM - 1 Like   #15014
Pentaxian

My Christmas gift to myself was a mint-condition Pentax-DA 18-135mm for a really good price - I picked it up today and will be running through its paces over next few days.

I have also ordered a new HD-Limited 21mm which is scheduled for delivery next week. These two together cost less than the factory-direct price of the 21mm from Pentax Australia.

That's too many lenses in the last few months. Now I need to familiarise myself with them all and start stretching my skills.
12-29-2018, 10:31 PM - 1 Like   #15015
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gary H Perth Quote
My Christmas gift to myself was a mint-condition Pentax-DA 18-135mm for a really good price - I picked it up today and will be running through its paces over next few days.

I have also ordered a new HD-Limited 21mm which is scheduled for delivery next week. These two together cost less than the factory-direct price of the 21mm from Pentax Australia.

That's too many lenses in the last few months. Now I need to familiarise myself with them all and start stretching my skills.
I own both and think youll be enjoying your new additions. The 18-135 is my most versatile lens, doesnt hurt that its WR and has good IQ for a zoom.