Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20314 Likes Search this Thread
12-29-2018, 11:17 PM - 2 Likes   #15016
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I acquired a washing machine. The old one had a classic fail yesterday morning. There was a loud report and the drum stopped instantly. Seems to have come off. A Miele at about 15-16 years (forgot when I bought it). Give there were quite a few years when we used it in excess of the 5 wash cycles per week that their 20 year claim is based on, it would have done its rated service, so really cannot complain. Looked for something to replace it. New ones of the same brand were rather expensive, so also looked at a Samsung which MrsTim suggested. A front loader that enables opening to add extra clothes mid wash cycle - think of all those times when you turn it on and look around the room and see something else you should have washed. Anyway, also found the Miele Outlet shop, which was open yesterday. Found their stock list and found an 8kg model (bigger than the old one) for half retail price (has been used for demonstration purposes over 50 hours and/or shows some scratches and/or dents, with new warranty). So GBP100 less than the Samsung (new from discounter) and a mid range model. Delivery, installation and removal of old one included in the price. Will be delivered Friday 4/1. Justin time to use for the next load of essential washing. (We usually wash twice per week, with two wash cycles (coloured and white) and an extra cycle on Saturday for other items. Price of new one made it cease to be interesting to follow up with a local repairer about whether the old one might be repairable.

12-30-2018, 01:30 AM - 1 Like   #15017
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Unsurprisingly, in time of festivities the number of new purchases has risen a lot!
I have a last minute addition to the list of self-given Christmas gifts:
Pentax-FA 3.5-4.5 17-28mm Fish-eye zoom.
I waited till it reached the home of my in-laws in CA, USA. Now I can consider it mine, but I won't be in my hands for a while, Maybe April
If I don't go myself, my wife will take care of the final delivery.
International shipping charges from the USA are outrageously expensive... got to be patient, and believe the description given by the seller!

In the meantime, I finally got my Leitz Canada Macro Elmar f/4 100mm converted to PK mount.
There are NO instructions on the Leitax site.
I will provide my own feedback, so others can be certain that the conversion can be done, and be aware of a few caveats.
Using the old version of the Leitax R to PK flange, the internal plastic tube has to be removed.
The old bayonet won't come off easily because the plastic tube gets stuck by the diaphragm lever.
The correct procedure involves removing the three screws of the tube, bending without breaking it (it is flexible enough), and finally the bayonet and the tube will come off.
The new version of the Leitax bayonet allows to keep the tube in place. I used a chinese knock-off, so I had to leave it out.
Now the lens works fine, infinity is spot on, and the little ball gives diaphragm "clicks".
The only minor problem is that the diaphragm ring opens past f/4. Probably one of the two cams that had to be removed also acted as hard stop for the diaphragm mechanism.
F/22 has the stop, f/4 does not. That's all. At f/4 the iris is wide open, so it's only aesthetic.
Here are two pics. One of the old mount, and one of the lens mounted on my K-1, with the hood fully extended.

12-30-2018, 09:34 AM - 2 Likes   #15018
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Vivitar Macro-Focusing Teleconverter. The PKA version is apparently fairly rare. I've matched it to an A50/1.7 with some very impressive results so far. Not sure it will ever take the place of my M100/4 Macro but it does serve multiple purposes, is small, and the IQ is surprisingly good. This teleconverter is essentially a helical extension tube on top of a 2x teleconvertor. Using a 50mm lens, it allows up to 1:1 magnification. Can be found as P-KM and P-KA with auto aperture contacts (as well as other mounts). Supposedly the same device is available with the brand names Panagor, Albinar and Lester Dine, but not in the"A" configuration. All were reportedly manufactured by Kiron.
I'm so old that I got mine new!
12-30-2018, 12:03 PM - 3 Likes   #15019
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here are the Seller’s photos of my purchase using the Gift Card I received yesterday from my brother-in-law, specifically directing me to buy camera gear. I don’t think he meant a K2DMD, Motor Drive MD and Battery Grip M.

.:

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Moto G (5S) Plus  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Moto G (5S) Plus  Photo 

Last edited by monochrome; 12-30-2018 at 12:16 PM.
12-30-2018, 12:36 PM - 1 Like   #15020
Veteran Member

Sort of comes with its own monopod doesn't it?
12-30-2018, 01:00 PM   #15021
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Sort of comes with its own monopod doesn't it?
12-30-2018, 06:18 PM   #15022
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Here are the Seller’s photos of my purchase using the Gift Card I received yesterday from my brother-in-law, specifically directing me to buy camera gear. I don’t think he meant a K2DMD, Motor Drive MD and Battery Grip M.

.:
What a great rig! Congratulations.

12-30-2018, 06:49 PM - 1 Like   #15023
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
What a great rig! Congratulations.
Yes! Thank You!!

I’ve looked at it for weeks and weeks in the Marketplace but after the ME-F, SWMBO has forbidden further ‘crummy old camera’ purchases (and really any more collecting, new and old) unless on a two-out / one-in basis. Since her brother sent me the Gift Card she couldn’t very well insist that I sell two things first.

Naturally, I’m pretty excited.Seller says everything works, but I’ll send it off to Eric for an evaluation anyway. I have a B&W film project percolating that I’d planned for the LX, but this one just might slip in there every so often.

.:

Last edited by Racer X 69; 12-30-2018 at 09:12 PM.
12-31-2018, 02:29 AM - 2 Likes   #15024
Veteran Member

I have a new Sigma 70-300 on order, but trawling through a couple of local second hand type shops I picked up two lenses for less than $100, a Sigma 28-90 Aspherical macro and a Pentax 50mm manual focus. Regretfully we don't have girl scout cookies but being of Scottish ancestry we have Tunnocks Caramel Wafers instead...
Attached Images

12-31-2018, 02:58 AM - 2 Likes   #15025
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
I have a new Sigma 70-300 on order, but trawling through a couple of local second hand type shops I picked up two lenses for less than $100, a Sigma 28-90 Aspherical macro and a Pentax 50mm manual focus. Regretfully we don't have girl scout cookies but being of Scottish ancestry we have Tunnocks Caramel Wafers instead...
nice try

perhaps pepperberry farm will give us an official ruling to the status of such an item as an acceptable AMU to the proper SMU

[ with the receipt of some good SMS, I could attempt to lobby on your behalf ]
12-31-2018, 04:03 AM - 4 Likes   #15026
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

lemme step in and simply suggest that for an AMU (Alternative Measuring Unit) to be accepted, it must be unwrapped and at least give us the impression that you ate one afterwards...
12-31-2018, 04:29 AM - 1 Like   #15027
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
lemme step in and simply suggest that for an AMU (Alternative Measuring Unit) to be accepted, it must be unwrapped and at least give us the impression that you ate one afterwards...
until I receive my SMS

I have no comment either for or against
12-31-2018, 09:31 AM - 1 Like   #15028
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Regretfully we don't have girl scout cookies but being of Scottish ancestry we have Tunnocks Caramel Wafers instead...
Sounds fine with me, I am Scottish too, and those caramel wafers sound great.
12-31-2018, 10:00 AM - 1 Like   #15029
Pentaxian

Goodness me I’d forgotten all about Tunnocks Caramel Wafers,they were a regular inclusion in my packed lunch when I was a lad forty odd years ago!
12-31-2018, 03:22 PM   #15030
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
nice try

perhaps pepperberry farm will give us an official ruling to the status of such an item as an acceptable AMU to the proper SMU

[ with the receipt of some good SMS, I could attempt to lobby on your behalf ]
Could we not at least consider it as the metric equivalent of the imperial measurement? Just as there are three and a bit feet in a metre, could there not be an adjudication that there are a set number of girl scout cookies in a caramel wafer?

QuoteQuote:
What, consume a precious caramel wafer just to satisfy you that they actually get eaten? I'm sorry, they are a scarce resource in this house and are only consumed on high days and holidays.

Should we put it to the vote of the people (remembering of course that's how Brexit started......)