Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20312 Likes Search this Thread
11-05-2011, 06:40 AM   #1501
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
That's too bad. A decent new 82mm circular polarizer would cost as much as the lens, which isn't going to happen in the near future.
Oddly enough, I think I have an 82mm CPL sitting around here unused and unloved.(Marumi Super DHG, the only brand I buy) PM me and I'll look for it!

11-05-2011, 10:12 AM   #1502
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Perfect companionship:ugh:
Attached Images

11-05-2011, 10:43 AM   #1503
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
Perfect companionship:ugh:
So is it everything you'd hoped for so far? I'm still looking forward to pics from the camera, rather than of the camera
11-05-2011, 11:01 AM   #1504
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
So is it everything you'd hoped for so far? I'm still looking forward to pics from the camera, rather than of the camera
Well, I have had the lens for less than 24 hours, and uncharacteristically it rained a bit yesterday, so only few shots so far. I posted my very first shot. . .

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nubimd/6315010173/in/photostream

I can tell you that it will take a bit of getting used to from the handling standpoint. I am debating if I ought to buy myself a handgrip, and a thumb hold. I manual focus a lot, but the way that is achieved with a rangefinder is a bit weird. Also, now I realize that I need a viewfinder as well.

The camera itself is easy to use. Haven't even opened the manual yet. Everything is pretty much self explanatory, really.

Was it worth selling all those lenses? Probably so, because I haven't been using aps c set up much anyway. Will find out in the next few weeks, i guess.

Last edited by Fontan; 11-05-2011 at 02:01 PM.
11-05-2011, 12:29 PM   #1505
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

During the last 2 weeks I purchased (everything used and cheap at eBay):
  1. Zenith MC Helios 44K-4 (2.0/58, K-mount)
  2. Flash Metz Mecablitz MZ40-2
  3. Tokína RMC 2.8/35 (K-mount)
The Helios 44K (near mint condition!) I got for nearly nothing as it came with a broken Zenith K-Bajonet camera. It has got only 6 blades, but seems to be well coated. Wanted to test for resolution, but with a K200D, at F4 it is in any case much better than the sensor!

The MZ40-2 is fantastic! As I don't like p-TTL anyway (and in the film era used TTL only in special cases, the built-in automatic proved to be MUCH more consistent), this is all I need. Found that the SCA3401 adapter does exactly the same as the SCA3402M3, which goes at eBay Germany for 3x the price (so the newer ones are needed for P-TTL only, and not with this flash).

Until now, I could use the Tokina just for an indoor test; it works!
11-05-2011, 09:20 PM   #1506
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
ALRIGHTY. Let's get down to bizness. *rubs hands together*

Just came back from the local camera fair. A little room 10x10 metres with maybe 10? or so individual sellers hocking their used camera wares.

I spent a very modest $80 and received in return:

Tamron Adaptall telemacro 28-70 1:3.5-4.5

Tamron 300 1:5.6

Takumar 135 1:2.5 Bayonet mount

Petri body and an Auto-Sankor 28 1:3.5

and my proudest purchase:

Jupiter 135 3.5 with 12 blades. Least I think it's twelve. It's hard counting them!

All glass is mint except for the Takumar which had fungus on the back which got wiped away when I used a lens cleaner, but still has lots of filigree fungus around the edges on the front element. Didn't see that till after I got out into daylight.

My only regret is leaving a Takumar (it was either a 28-70 or a 35-80) for $10. I think I recall reading somewhere on the database that one of those portrait lenses made by Takumar aren't that great? And I had a pique of sensibility and left it.

I now need to go trawl the database to see what all the reviews are like and understand what I've bought.

Am super thrilled about the Jupiter and the Adaptall telemacro. FYI my most exxy purchase was the Jup at $35. Very proud how I negotiated that one. The rest were probably on average around $10 or so each.

*squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee*

-----

Oh! and nearly forgot. I picked up the k-x for $220 from the guy I was agonising over a few nights back. My hands were shaking when I went to pick it up to test.

...I now own THREE digital camera bodies.
11-05-2011, 09:35 PM   #1507
Veteran Member

That's awesome on the $220 Kx, I have two Kx bodies myself...

--

11-05-2011, 09:37 PM   #1508
Veteran Member

Hey Joe,

Yeah it was a great price. I paid just a little over that for my second k100d which I now need to sell. Coz no one in their right mind has 3 camera bodies right? ..right?

He was moving from pentax to nikon for flash synchronicity apparently. the body looks practically new. very happy with that purchase although terrified of the learning curve. i'm still trying to get to know my k100d after 5 years..
11-05-2011, 10:01 PM   #1509
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
Coz no one in their right mind has 3 camera bodies right? ..right?
Ya, no one in their right mind

You should get plenty of usage out of the Kx, really is a great body. As to learning and getting fluid with it there are plenty of people here still shooting with the Kx that will be happy to help out if you have any issues with it

--
11-05-2011, 10:39 PM   #1510
Veteran Member

Yup, I was reading up on the kx clubs last night. There's a thread in here where someone's using their Kx and kit lens exclusively for concert shots etc.

I think the kx does video too?! eeps. Need to go read all up on it. I only just discovered what my k100d can do and now I'm moving up five grades.
11-05-2011, 10:39 PM   #1511
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
ALRIGHTY. Let's get down to bizness. *rubs hands together*

Just came back from the local camera fair. A little room 10x10 metres with maybe 10? or so individual sellers hocking their used camera wares.

I spent a very modest $80 and received in return:

Tamron Adaptall telemacro 28-70 1:3.5-4.5

Tamron 300 1:5.6

Takumar 135 1:2.5 Bayonet mount

Petri body and an Auto-Sankor 28 1:3.5

and my proudest purchase:

Jupiter 135 3.5 with 12 blades. Least I think it's twelve. It's hard counting them!

All glass is mint except for the Takumar which had fungus on the back which got wiped away when I used a lens cleaner, but still has lots of filigree fungus around the edges on the front element. Didn't see that till after I got out into daylight.

My only regret is leaving a Takumar (it was either a 28-70 or a 35-80) for $10. I think I recall reading somewhere on the database that one of those portrait lenses made by Takumar aren't that great? And I had a pique of sensibility and left it.

I now need to go trawl the database to see what all the reviews are like and understand what I've bought.

Am super thrilled about the Jupiter and the Adaptall telemacro. FYI my most exxy purchase was the Jup at $35. Very proud how I negotiated that one. The rest were probably on average around $10 or so each.

*squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee*

-----

Oh! and nearly forgot. I picked up the k-x for $220 from the guy I was agonising over a few nights back. My hands were shaking when I went to pick it up to test.

...I now own THREE digital camera bodies.
You did very well for $80.00 considering the Jupiter 37A cost nearly half the amount. That's an excellent lens for an excellent price, did you get the caps, lens hood and the case with the lens?

Tamron 28-70/3.5-4.5, it's model number should be 44A, correct? That's a very nice performing short zoom whose resolution rival that of Pentax nifty 50's. The 300/5.6, model number CT-300 is another great buy, did either lenses include a PK mount by any chance? If it's the later model SP 300/5.6 54B, that would be a steal. Either would be the lightest 300mm prime lens in anyone's arsenal.

The Takumar Bayonet 135/2.5 is a better performing lens than most people give credit for, I was quite happy with mine but haven't touched it lately because I reach for the Jupiter 37A when I want to shoot 135mm.

I didn't think I would ever be buying a lens from down under - a new lens at that - but I have ordered one this morning. It isn't quite the deal wolfiegirl managed to procure today but it's priced a lot less than what I would have had to pay if I bought from a North American eBay seller or from B&H: ODS Samyang 14mm f2.8 Wide Lens for Pentax Kx K7 DL2 | eBay

With two Rokinons 8/3.5, 85/1.4 and now this Samyang 14/2.8, I am fast becoming a Samyang junkie!
11-05-2011, 11:07 PM   #1512
Veteran Member

Heya excanonfd,

To answer all your questions:

Jupiter

I got the Jupiter with front and back caps, the front cap has the words zenit and some cyrillic lettering on it) but the back cap looks a bit smooshed and you have to grip really hard to yank it off so I assume it's not the original. It also came in a dingy grey hard plastic container that squeaks when you open it. It's got cyrillic lettering on an aged piece of paper stuck to the bottom, so I assume it's also original? There's a piece of cardboard stuck inside to it help cushion the lens.

The lens is obvs used. The silver metal is showing through the screw if that makes sense? It's got a funky subtle fake 'stone' look to the black parts of the lens (those that aren't the metal grippy bits). The serial number starts with 853 - no idea if that helps or not. The glass looks mint though. I know nothing about jupiter lenses except everyone wants one and I've been peeking into the soviet lens club for a little bit.

The guy originally wanted $50 for it and I asked him his best price which was $40 and then I fondled it some more and said gee, it's top of my budget. I'll look around and maybe come back.... I went back at the end and had a nice long chat with him about other cameras and lenses (thanks whoever it was that suggested I talk abt anything but what I want to buy, in my other thread!) and then eventually I said would you take $35 for it? And he just smiled and said "I guess you could twist my arm". Sounds like he still thought it was a good price. That or he has a great poker face. Makes me wonder how much he originally paid for it (!)

Tamron 28-70/3.5-4.5

It's a 159A, not 44A.
I think I bought it remembering one review saying that similar range rivals the Pentax's version. I actually don't have a lens in that range and I got the impression from the Tammy club that all Tamrons were good quality? That and combined with the Tak he wanted $25. Who was I to say no?

Tamron 300.
Now I can't seem to find a review for my particular one. The picture for the CT-300 looks different to mine. Mine has a manual/auto switch on it and a clear plastic cover under the focal lengths. Which when I think about it... that means it can't be a preset right? But on the rim it just says f=300? It also says Auto Tamron, and has a 62mm filter size. There's also a tripod mount for it, where I can screw a tripod in.

I actually wasn't sure whether or not to buy it, since I already bought a 300mm preset off the marketplace. But since this lens was adaptall, I thought if the price is right, I'll get it. I told him upfront that I didn't really need it, and the guy just said 'make me an offer'. So I said $5, and he said $10 and you can have it. So I paid it..

..I figure a prime 300m adaptall is different to a preset 300mm right?

The guy seemed pretty desperate to get rid of all his stock. Came up from Albury which is quite a ways away. I think he was hoping I'd shell out the $450 for this really cool looking large format asahi he had. It looked GORGEOUS. But I have absolutely no need for it. Anyway I bought most of my stuff from him and he kept on saying, 'let's see, what else can I sell you?'

Both Tamrons came with different mounts. One olympus and one canon. I just love that I have more options with the adaptall mount series. In that I can look at other 'brands' too. You know, technically it's all the 90mm's fault. After I bought that off the market place (and it came with a plain Pk mount) I suddenly thought, right, now that I have the mount I may as well buy more lenses... If I didn't have the mount I probably might not have bothered even looking at the adaptalls unless they had the PKA mount.

And atm I'm pretty happy with manual. Don't need the Auto features. Mind you that doesn't mean I won't say no if a PKA adapter falls into my lap. And it certainly won't stop me from looking...

Takumar
Yeah I was reading the reviews and they're mixed. Like I said, it came to probably around $12? So either way it's going to be worth its value for me. The reviews reckon if I treat it right (not in direct light and use the hood) I should still get good piccies out of it.

*phew* Have I answered all your questions? Oh, and congrats on buying downunder!
11-06-2011, 12:09 AM   #1513
Veteran Member

wolfiegirl,

I would appreciate very much if you would post some pictures of the two Tamron lenses you've bought (front and barrel), I don't think I have seen either of the lenses you've just acquired. The Tamron 90/2.5 is a fantastic lens and the price that you've paid was the lowest I have ever seen for that lens (I do try to keep track of some of my acquisitions). Others might go gaga over the 'legendary' Kiron macro lenses, but Tamron owners know whose lens is superior, and if you ever manage to acquire an Adaptall-2 PK/A adapter you will have auto everything less AF with your DSLR. That's versatility.

If you are going with many cheap 3rd party m42 adapters for your m42 lenses, you should think about buying a bunch of PK rear lens caps: 10* Rear Lens Cap Cover < Pentax PK 55-300mm 18-55mm | eBay Place a mark on one of the caps to use as a wrench to tighten the m42 adapter on to the lens and rest can be used protect your many pseudo K lenses.
11-06-2011, 12:21 AM   #1514
Veteran Member

Hey excanonfd,

Happy to take piccies and send to you.

I have done some more research and came across something that sounds similar to my 300mm, but even then it's not 100% the same coz he had a silver body. Would it be worth posting up in the Tammy club as well do you think?

Do you think the other Tammy I got was also different? Is a 159A so different to a 59A?

I am starting to think perhaps it *is* good that I have 3 bodies.... 1 for m42s, 1 for k mounts, and 1 for adaptalls?

I think after using the 90mm and checking out the Tammy club and reading some reviews I am also coming to the conclusion that perhaps the Tamrons really are the best bar some of the Pentaxes. Sorry other makers/fans out there. But heck, my LBA is so rampant atm maybe the rest of you can help 'prove me wrong'? *snarf*

If it helps, I just saw a Tamron 90mm AF go for $61 plus delivery. It was US only. It only just finished 18 hours ago? ebay showed it to me when I was looking up Tammies just now. *Someone* got a DEAL...

I am a huge fan of versatility. It's part of the reason why I got a Pentax in the first place and am def. still on the lookout for a PKA adapter. I just lost out on two that were worded incorrectly, but not incorrectly enough. LOL.

I currently own one pentax m42 adapter. It's on holidays atm somewhere between the US and here. Ironic that my 90mm took 7 days to arrive and my adapter which I bought before that still isn't here yet. I'm hoping it will arrive this week.

As to the caps, thanks for the linky. I have coming a set of pk caps and a set of m42 caps. Are they much different? You're suggesting a wrench?! Wouldn't that break the plastic?!
11-06-2011, 12:29 AM   #1515
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
The Takumar Bayonet 135/2.5 is a better performing lens than most people give credit for, I was quite happy with mine but haven't touched it lately because I reach for the Jupiter 37A when I want to shoot 135mm.
That's a good one, though: I'm very fond of mine. The 'Takumar' zooms of that time are mostly awful and rightfully caused Pentaxians of the time to go to a library, (Yes, we did not have Iphones or even the Net, then) look up, redesign, smith, and then hurl brickbats, just for putting the Tak name on budget things, but this is basically a single-coated M lens and is very nice. Gives pretty, gentle colors in the kind of light you can see that in. Very smooth, for a generally-nicely-sharp lens. Most will want something with that SMC coating and all, if they can have, but this is a fun one for me.