Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2019, 05:44 PM   #15286
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
Regarding shipping charges and taxes, the worst solution for the buyer is eBay's "Global Shipping" option.
Is is more expensive than most other options, and you have to pay taxes IN ADVANCE. On both the cost of the item and the shipment charge.
Never paid taxes on items shipped economy. Even traceable options like USPS First Class International (from the US), registered letter (from the EU), Royal Mail International Signed (from the UK), etc, etc.
Vendors are offered Global Shipping as the default option, as far as I understand, and most of them are made to believe that other choices are complex or even unreliable.
IMHO eBay has slowly become more and more unfriendly, to both sellers and buyers, for example with raising eBay and PayPal fees, or pushing vendors into using Global Shipping.
This is what happens when a single company dominates the market. Those who want to buy used photographic equipments at an international level have no alternative. At least none I'm aware of...
The problem I'm increasingly running into is that for the cheaper crappier heavy auction items e.g. old Praktica bodies, big heavy lenses with faults, etc. I'm ending up selling at a loss if I send them overseas. For example, a bigger Adaptall zoom with mild fungus might sell for a fiver. It costs me £11.60 to send it to Australia without tracking, and ebay and paypal charge fees on the price including postage. Realistically I should charge at least £14 for postage. I don't, because I know that there's a good chance the buyer will change his mind and I'll end up having to relist, or (increasingly common) will pay but eventually say that it has gone missing. I also get occasional packages returned by the post office because the buyer wasn't in and didn't collect them from the post office, which is a pain because it always leads to a huge argument.

If I use the Global shipping program postage costs me £3.90, it's tracked all the way, and I don't have to do the paperwork for customs etc.

My break point on this is now 750g; anything under that goes by post, anything over that I wouldn't normally send by a tracked postal service goes by the global shipping service. I've been doing this since the start of the year and I'm still assessing the results, so far I'm not seeing a big drop in final prices or sales, so I'm afraid that I'll probably continue to use it.

In other news, the weird "Micro 4/3 adapter rings" I got turn out to be for the older Olympus 4/3 system and do have the correct flange distance for that. I'd completely forgotten that the system existed, which was stupid of me...

01-31-2019, 07:00 PM - 2 Likes   #15287
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Just acquired new lens.

Just received today Pentax 67 75mm f 2.8, latest and fastest of the 67 75mm lenses. I think I am going to like this one. Here is a still life with vegetables, doing best I can with highlights using strobe with diffuser, and still working on indirect lighting alternatives.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
02-01-2019, 06:18 AM - 1 Like   #15288
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Rowland Quote
The problem I'm increasingly running into is that for the cheaper crappier heavy auction items e.g. old Praktica bodies, big heavy lenses with faults, etc. I'm ending up selling at a loss if I send them overseas. For example, a bigger Adaptall zoom with mild fungus might sell for a fiver. It costs me £11.60 to send it to Australia without tracking, and ebay and paypal charge fees on the price including postage. Realistically I should charge at least £14 for postage. I don't, because I know that there's a good chance the buyer will change his mind and I'll end up having to relist, or (increasingly common) will pay but eventually say that it has gone missing. I also get occasional packages returned by the post office because the buyer wasn't in and didn't collect them from the post office, which is a pain because it always leads to a huge argument.

If I use the Global shipping program postage costs me £3.90, it's tracked all the way, and I don't have to do the paperwork for customs etc.

My break point on this is now 750g; anything under that goes by post, anything over that I wouldn't normally send by a tracked postal service goes by the global shipping service.
The good old days are long gone.
Now eBay/PayPal charge high fees. Money transfers to friends (that used to be free) now are charged outrageous fees.
I'd happily ditch eBay if only I could find an alternative...

Regarding shipments from the UK, for the kind of lenses I acquire these days (mainly cheap old preset teles, I'm kind of broke) I found that the best solution is "Royal Mail International Signed". Of course it is too expensive for dirty cheap accessories, but it works fine for low cost lenses.
It is traceable, safe (never had a lost parcel), reliable, just a tad slower.
Some people are put off by the lack of insurance, but I guess that few of them really know how insurances work. If they knew, they would be less concerned.
According to my personal experience, the only items that got damaged were either very heavy or very badly packaged.
I have seen parcels that were CRUSHED, but the lens inside was still fine.
Job lots or very heavy items are more likely to be victims of mishandling. Smaller parcels were always fine, at least in my experience, even when it seemed that they had been through an ordeal.

At the end of the day the most important variable is the human one.
If I buy anything that is posted non-traceable, I wait till the end to ask for refund, then I wait to the end of the 15 days. A few times the parcel arrived almost two months later!
The same way, if I ask for non-insured shipment, I am ready to take the risk myself, and I would never complain if the goods get damaged (unless the packaging was a real disaster).
Unfortunately honest buyers pay the price of the misdeeds of dishonest ebayers.
It is understandable. What I find more difficult to understand is that very very few vendors seem to be willing to make exceptions, based on the feedback status. I have more than 1000 feedbacks as a buyer. Spotless. 100% positive. Despite this, I almost always get the default answer, even when I am willing to take all the risks upon myself.
I find this lack of trust kind of saddening...

---------- Post added 01-02-19 at 03:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
my adventure with the EX DG line started with the 28/1.8 lens, then adding the 50/1.4, the 70/2.8, the 20/1.8, and now the 24/1.8

all are stellar lenses, but large and bulky when compared to some of their Pentax contemporaries...
I see, I thought you started with the 50mm.
Yes, very good lenses, fast and sharp, but huge.
The macros are not as big as the others. I agree with your choice, among the macro lenses the 70mm is said to be the best, and according to my experience it beats the 50mm by a long stretch.

Last edited by cyberjunkie; 02-01-2019 at 06:30 AM.
02-01-2019, 07:59 AM   #15289
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote

work... Fungus and sticky aperture
I have this one in OM mount...

02-01-2019, 10:16 AM   #15290
Pentaxian

This is the last of the three old preset tele lenses I am still waiting for.
I still have a few expensive objectives at the top of my wanted list, but I have already spent too much, so I must limit my purchases to affordable lenses.
I have a special liking for Komura/Kyoei/Sankor preset tele lenses, the shorter the better.
It's an interesting field also under a collector's point of view, cause there are not many info about these lenses, especially regarding the optical designs and the changes that happened over time.
If you like old MF lenses, and keep an eye on the mflenses.com forum, maybe you have seen my recent posts on the big Komura and Sankor threads.

The lens pictured below was described on eBay as Voigtlander (?), Leica mount.
In fact, the same lens is almost always seen in LTM mount.
I have a very similar one myself: a Super Acall 3.5/135mm in Leica mount, with the original viewfinder.
The same lens was also sold as Komura, only in LTM mount, AFAIK.
Don't ask which of the two is a rebrand because I still have to make up my mind, and maybe I never will...
Though I have a strong opinion about something else: this lens was misrepresented.
I don't think it's a Leica mount cause: 1) it has a preset ring 2) I see no rangefinder coupling 3) the rear glass is too close to the mount
Could be either missing the mount, be an M42, or even be an M44 Miranda screw mount.
My hope is that the right answer is the No.2. It's quite likely but not certain.
There is a strange chrome ring on the front of the lens. I have seen it many times in pictures I found on the Web, but I have no idea if it was originally there or it's a separate accessory. Maybe it's an adapter for "Series" filters to standard mount, or the other way round. Let me know if you have any clues.
Interestingly, there are plenty of diaphragm blades but they are made in a way to have a star shaped aperture. It's a feature in common with some Komura lenses.

Kyoei Optical Co. Acall 1:3.5 135mm

Last edited by cyberjunkie; 02-01-2019 at 10:33 AM.
02-01-2019, 11:17 AM - 1 Like   #15291
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
Interestingly, there are plenty of diaphragm blades but they are made in a way to have a star shaped aperture. It's a feature in common with some Komura lenses.

I bet it makes awesome bokeh, similar to the Industar 61LZ.

Too bad it is so beat up.
02-01-2019, 11:31 AM   #15292
Pentaxian

An as new, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8. Ex dg os hsm

02-01-2019, 05:00 PM   #15293
Pentaxian

Last comment on postage; if something sells for £24 or less plus postage, it isn't worthwhile charging or paying for tracked postage outside the UK (which adds at least £4 to postage) because it puts bidders off and ordinary post is covered up to £20 by Royal Mail guarantees. So if a £23 item goes missing Royal Mail will eventually compensate £20; you have to wait 30 working days before claiming, and the procedure is complicated (but the same as for tracked post) which is why I prefer to avoid it if possible. I have to do this every month or so, and it's always a pain.

Incidentally, I received a CF memory card today which I ordered 6 months ago - the seller (CEX) has long since replaced it, of course, but since I buy from them fairly often I've contacted them to tell them it arrived. I could do with a spare, so I've offered to pay their shop price (but not the postage), we'll see what happens.
02-01-2019, 05:31 PM - 1 Like   #15294
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
bet it makes awesome bokeh
Beat me to saying this... that "ninja star" shape the blades make is rather interesting.
02-01-2019, 06:43 PM - 4 Likes   #15295
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Rowland Quote
Last comment on postage; if something sells for £24 or less plus postage, it isn't worthwhile charging or paying for tracked postage outside the UK (which adds at least £4 to postage) because it puts bidders off and ordinary post is covered up to £20 by Royal Mail guarantees. So if a £23 item goes missing Royal Mail will eventually compensate £20; you have to wait 30 working days before claiming, and the procedure is complicated (but the same as for tracked post) which is why I prefer to avoid it if possible. I have to do this every month or so, and it's always a pain.

Incidentally, I received a CF memory card today which I ordered 6 months ago - the seller (CEX) has long since replaced it, of course, but since I buy from them fairly often I've contacted them to tell them it arrived. I could do with a spare, so I've offered to pay their shop price (but not the postage), we'll see what happens.
I sold a lens yesterday for $475 flat. PayPal fees were $22.xx and Insured USPS postage was $18.xx. That knocks a lot off what I actualy sold the lens for!!! Next time I’ll take those costs into account when I set my price!

Last edited by monochrome; 02-02-2019 at 06:41 PM.
02-01-2019, 07:13 PM - 3 Likes   #15296
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
Beat me to saying this... that "ninja star" shape the blades make is rather interesting.
Ninja star. I like it.

The Industar only has 6 blades, so it make stars like this:

02-01-2019, 07:23 PM - 1 Like   #15297
Pentaxian

The Industar only has 6 blades, so it make stars like this:
These are very nice as well! "star of david" bokeh!
02-01-2019, 07:27 PM - 2 Likes   #15298
Veteran Member

Picked up a like new, 17 inch AMD laptop with a better screen and video capability than my 6 year old laptop I found in a Facebook classified ad at a super cheap price. Now getting it set up and then will get the screen calibrated for photo editing.
02-02-2019, 12:34 PM   #15299
Pentaxian

Nothing at the car boot sales today - very few sellers since it was very cold - but a very nice eBay acquisition; Sigma 55-200mm 4-5.6 DC in perfect condition for Canon EF for £17 including postage, and in Portobello Road got a working Canon Eos 300D with an 18-55 for £35. Needs a charger, but the battery is charged so I can see it's OK. Also bought a couple of mixed job lots of lenses on eBay, I'll say more when I've seen them in the flesh, so to speak.
02-03-2019, 11:12 AM - 2 Likes   #15300
Pentaxian

I bet it makes awesome bokeh, similar to the Industar 61LZ.

Too bad it is so beat up.
Well, I hope it will clean up nicely
The front ring could be just an accessory, and I have the intention to make it perfectly round, and possibly even blacken the inside with matt black paint/marker.
I have used that Industar only for close range subjects, and I have never used it on digital cameras. My example was bought new LONG time ago, back at the time when jewish russians came to Rome with no hard currency... so they brought lenses, and sold them in exchange for convertible currency, before proceeding to Israel or the USA.
I should test it on digital full frame.

Regarding the bokeh... to be sincere I hope the bokeh will be quite good, as with most preset Komura or Kyoei short tele lenses.