Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20312 Likes Search this Thread
02-03-2019, 12:17 PM   #15301
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
I have used that Industar only for close range subjects, and I have never used it on digital cameras. My example was bought new LONG time ago, back at the time when jewish russians came to Rome with no hard currency... so they brought lenses, and sold them in exchange for convertible currency, before proceeding to Israel or the USA.
I should test it on digital full frame.
I got my Industar new also, NOS, about 5 or 6 years ago, off of eBay from the Ukraine. Having only used it for digital, on APSC with the K-5IIs and K10D, and full frame on the K-1.

I have enjoyed it and the great images it makes, both macro and closeup, as well as for landscape photography.

02-03-2019, 12:23 PM   #15302
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Another poor car boot day (fairly cold) but I did get a nice T-mount 250mm f4.5 Soligor lens for a fiver, I think it's the first 250mm I've had. This one:

Soligor (t-mount, T4 mount) 250mm f4.5 Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

It's the one shown with a silver T-mount in the example pictures, the number begins with an H28 so it's theoretically Tokina made but it weighs 670g and has a lot of aperture blades, so I'm pretty sure it must actually be Kino. So much for identification by serial number... The rear element looked filthy, but all of the dirt turned out to be on the outside, there's no fungus, can't even see any internal dust. I'll test it next week and put up a review.

And I forgot to say that the Itorex 50mm f40 I bought arrived on Friday. I've mounted it for Nikon for now, but I have a chipped Canon EF mount and I might try that instead, see if it can get exposure right at F40 (and whatever other apertures I eventually make for it.)

Also bought five Chinese 62mm lens caps - somehow one costs £1, five cost £2.05, so I've bought five. This happens a lot with lens caps, they cost very little to make, most of the money pays for postage from China, and it's usually much cheaper to get five or ten.

Last edited by Marcus Rowland; 02-03-2019 at 12:42 PM.
02-03-2019, 03:36 PM - 1 Like   #15303
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Rowland Quote
silver T-mount
Did your came in with the silver t-mount? I got a silver t-mount on a zebra lens I have, it makes it look even better.

--------------

My latest acquisition which I eagerly wait for is a Sigma 105/2.8 EX (Non-DG), to be mounted on my canon 450D... I hope the bigger pixels on the 450D make up for the 12MP it holds... Not that my K-50's sensor is extremely more capable, but I do enjoy my K-50 shots better.

Last edited by edom31; 02-03-2019 at 03:49 PM.
02-03-2019, 05:06 PM - 1 Like   #15304
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rog Tallbloke Quote
I just won a K-r + kit lens on ebay for a very good price. It was advertised as "For parts or not working", because:
"When turn on flickering noise, would be easy to fix, other than that works fine and takes amazing photos.".

Fingers crossed the seller just didn't know what sensor shake dust removal is. Apparently the K-r is quite vigorous in it's application...
Yep, my K 10 makes quite a rattle on power up, in contrast to my K 5, which is silent, despite having far more effective sensor cleaning. Go Pentax!

02-03-2019, 06:14 PM - 1 Like   #15305
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
Did your came in with the silver t-mount? I got a silver t-mount on a zebra lens I have, it makes it look even better.

--------------

My latest acquisition which I eagerly wait for is a Sigma 105/2.8 EX (Non-DG), to be mounted on my canon 450D... I hope the bigger pixels on the 450D make up for the 12MP it holds... Not that my K-50's sensor is extremely more capable, but I do enjoy my K-50 shots better.
No, it's just a standard sort of black M42 mount. Don't think I have any silver mounts at present except a couple of Canon FD ones with the locking ring silver.

The Sigma sounds good, hope it works out OK.
02-04-2019, 07:33 AM - 4 Likes   #15306

Just added this beauty (the LX, not the Porst as I've had that for years):

Need to decide what my LX kit will contain from a lens perspective. Possibly start with a traditional 3 lens set-up using some of my faster lenses: Vivitar 28mm F2, Porst 55mm F1.2 and a Soligor 135mm F2.

---------- Post added 02-04-19 at 07:35 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
one Sigma 24/1.8 EX DG ....
I've also got one of those and it is a very capable lens and in my favourite focal length.
02-04-2019, 03:23 PM - 1 Like   #15307
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by niblue Quote
Need to decide what my LX kit will contain from a lens perspective. Possibly start with a traditional 3 lens set-up using some of my faster lenses: Vivitar 28mm F2, Porst 55mm F1.2 and a Soligor 135mm F2.
Beautiful LX, in perfect conditions.
Mine has plenty of brassing, but last time I checked was still working like new.
Bought it that way, it came from a pro who switched brand when it became clear that Pentax would not release another camera of that level.
The system of interchangeable finders is a beauty in itself.
I would bring this extraordinary camera back into action, at least every once in a while, if only I had my Canon scanner here. I have no darkroom, and if I have no way to digitise the film there would be no point using analog.

I appreciate your choice of three primes for the LX.
If the Vivitar is the Kiron version, I have them all, and all are very nice lenses.
I guess we share the same taste for fast vintage primes...
In particular I am very fond of the Soligor. Nice bokeh, very good lens for tightly framed portraits.

I thought I found a strange Auto Takumar 5.6/200mm, but later I found out that the vendor misdescribed the lens.
It is the first version of the early preset 200mm, marked "Takumar" and not "Tele-Takumar".
It is slow, but it's tiny and should have practically no CA

Asahi Op. Co. Takumar 1:5.6/200

Last edited by cyberjunkie; 02-04-2019 at 03:33 PM.
02-04-2019, 04:13 PM - 1 Like   #15308
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Received new Mamiya spacer

Today UPS brought me a like-new spacer (dedicated extension tube) for my Mamiya 645 C 80mm f 4.0 macro lens. It is supposed to boost this 1:2 macro to 1:1 capability. I've been enjoying these beautifully crafted metal non-AF Mamiya 645 C lenses on the K-1, and have accumulated six of them: the 45mm f 2.8, the 80mm f 1.9 (fastest known mediumformat lens), the 80mm f 4.0macro (shown below), the 150mm f 3.5, the 210mm f 4.0, and the 300mm f5.6. They are all medium format lenses built for the Mamiya 645 cameras, but cannot be adapted to Pentax 645 cameras because of incompatible registry distances, but work very nicely on the K-1.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
02-05-2019, 03:11 AM - 3 Likes   #15309
Pentaxian

Sunday was the annual photo swap meet at Aulnay de Saintonge and I picked a few things. It's about an hour and a half drive to the south of Poitiers.

From a vendor that I hit early at the opening each trip because he has good stuff ... a like-new Minolta macro set for 30€. Really happy in that I have a X500 again, because I sold my previous one to a friend of a friend ... and had immediate seller's regret. Everything works except for the flash head due to a contact problem which I hope to fix later.

From the same seller, a first version MD 35-70/3.5 attached to a dead XG1 for 2€ and the Ricoh was free ...

All for 2€ each elsewhere ... two Pentax medium format straps and a Chinon 28/2.8 ...

For 15€ an excellent MD 28-85/3.5-4.5 that I always wanted to try out, etc. ... and a 3€ Rollei mount zoom plus some freebie grab bag lens hoods ...

And last but not least, for 5€ each, a set of 30x40 trays for the darkroom plus a free squidgy Paterson tool ... the roll of 35mm is for scale. Really happy about these three because I have searched a while and was almost to the point of buying new (read "expensive") trays.

02-05-2019, 08:04 AM - 1 Like   #15310
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just bought a lightly used K-3ii (6800 shots) because I missed the one I sold to buy the K-1ii....if this works out, it may be akin to the old adage "It's so much better, the second time around" and I'll sell the K-1 ii (which is in the marketplace for $1,950.00). Anyway, let's hope for a new APS-c body tp go with the new 11-18mm lens
02-05-2019, 09:45 AM - 1 Like   #15311

QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
Just bought a lightly used K-3ii (6800 shots) because I missed the one I sold to buy the K-1ii....if this works out, it may be akin to the old adage "It's so much better, the second time around" and I'll sell the K-1 ii (which is in the marketplace for $1,950.00). Anyway, let's hope for a new APS-c body tp go with the new 11-18mm lens
I'll be interested to hear why you're going back to APS-C from full-frame.

I'm completely the opposite - now I've got the K1 I can't see me every using my APS-C stuff again (barring a couple of lenses like the fisheye zoom I might use in APS-C mode on the K1). In fact I'm getting back into full-frame so much I've started buying film (and film kit) again.
02-05-2019, 10:37 AM - 3 Likes   #15312
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by niblue Quote
I'll be interested to hear why you're going back to APS-C from full-frame.

I'm completely the opposite - now I've got the K1 I can't see me every using my APS-C stuff again (barring a couple of lenses like the fisheye zoom I might use in APS-C mode on the K1). In fact I'm getting back into full-frame so much I've started buying film (and film kit) again.
It came down to lifestyle over the types of photography I enjoy (I use a full frame Leica M as well). I just liked the renderings of the APS-c (built in crop mode) for my city scapes and architectural photos. The largest size I print at is 13" x 19" (A3) and I could not discern the difference between the KP/K-3ii pictures and the K-1ii photos at that size. I also got frustrated because I had to consistently adjust the fine focus on the K-1ii because even the quality glass (i.e., 50 f1.4/ SIGMA 15-30 DC FA) were not impressive. On the other hand, the KP at 24mp APS-c delivered what I wanted in a compact versatile package.

Additionally, because I am more heavily invested in Leica/Voigtlander glass, I was buoyed by LUMIX, SIGMA & Leica's recent Fall, 2018 merger to create a Leica L-Mount full frame standard. With the new Lumix mirrorless S1 coming out within the same price point as the Pentax, I thought the lens array would be more complete rather than wait for a Pentax "roadmap" of lens that will dribble out over several years.

Don't misunderstand me, the K-1ii is a beast, but it's weight with a large tele is no laughing matter. How about a Domke bag with lenses for all day work? SO alas, at my age (50+), I'll take the lighter road. If I was younger, I would keep the K-1ii and work the hell out of it, but my days of climbing Mt. Washington with a Canon FTBn and a backpack of prime lenses is over....

I hope that explains my reasoning (it better because I am going to take a beating on a K-1 ii that has only 1450 shutter clicks). Thanks for the inquiry.
02-05-2019, 10:46 AM   #15313

QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
I hope that explains my reasoning (it better because I am going to take a beating on a K-1 ii that has only 1450 shutter clicks). Thanks for the inquiry.
Thanks for that - always interesting to hear someone else's perspective on things!

I dabble very slight with the Leica end of things myself - but without actually having any Leica components. I have a Voigtlander Bessa-L with a 25mm Snapshot Skopar that I play around with for street photography, plus a few eastern bloc L39 lenses as well as a Zorki (which doesn't really get used). I've been meaning to add an old Leica body and lens to the collection but haven't got around to it yet - still mostly too busy buying Pentax bodies and lenses!

The main reason I prefer the K1 over APS-C is also to do with my style of photography. I tend to shoot a lot of wide angle stuff and that's where FF shines for me, especially as it means I can get more use out of some old favourites from my films days - such as the Tokina ATX-Pro 20-35mm F2.8 which has jumped from pretty much never being used on APS-C to one of my most used FF lenses.

BTW I'm a similar age bracket (50) and the weight of the K1 plus something like an 80-200 F2.8 is definitely no laughing matter. It's the main reason I have a little micro 4/3 system as I tend to take that when I want something better than a point and shoot but just can't be bothered with the weight and size of my Pentax SLR kit.
02-05-2019, 11:05 AM - 4 Likes   #15314
Veteran Member

Couldn't stack the SMUs High enough!

To leave the hood on and measure this pristine Sigma 150-500 HSM OS that I bought here from the forum.

This is 3 full sleeves of SMUs! I had to double up at the bottom because more than one box (two sleeves,) would not stay vertical and I am not gluing or melting my SMUs for a couple images! I ate the 4th sleeve while waiting over the last week for the lens to arrive. I also got a Desmond 115mm Arca plate for the foot since OS or not, 500mm is vulnerable to any unsteadiness in me. I am referring to physical instability that is.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
02-05-2019, 11:18 AM - 4 Likes   #15315
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm sticking with APS-C. I have a large LowePro back pack purchased in the 1980's for me by my sweetie. I should weigh it some time, but I'm afraid I would panic. It holds all of this:
K-3 with grip and AA carrier. DA 12-24, DA* 16-50, SMC Tak 55, DA 55-300, FA 100 macro, M 400, AFA 1.7x, AF-540FGZ flash, many AA's, flash extension cord, dark change bag, Gorilla pod for those branches and fences, CPL, big blower, lens paper and solution, my lunch, and sometimes other stuff. To add to the load, I usually carry my Manfrotto 055B with LensMaster RH-2 gimbal head and remote release (always on the tripod). I'm afraid to weigh it.

Medium kit for hiking: K-3, grip, 12-24, 100, 55-300 (don't know why I never miss the 25-54 range) in a LowePro 100 and my Benbo Trekker tripod.

Wandering around puts the Pentax leather hand strap on the K-3 with grip, and the DA* 16-50 and no bag.

I'll turn 79 on June 10th. You 50 year old wimps