Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20314 Likes Search this Thread
02-18-2019, 06:10 AM - 2 Likes   #15421

Just received an LX winder via Ebay for the princely sum of £18. Almost immaculate condition and works well, and I like the feel of the camera with it fitted although might need to see if I can find one of the little grips for it at something other than a crazy price.

02-18-2019, 10:04 AM - 1 Like   #15422
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by niblue Quote
Just received an LX winder via Ebay for the princely sum of £18. Almost immaculate condition and works well, and I like the feel of the camera with it fitted although might need to see if I can find one of the little grips for it at something other than a crazy price.
I think somewhere way back on the Film board there's a little guide to making your own. I forget who posted it. I can't remember if they need a little keyhole-slotted piece or if it's just a couple of screws but I think once upon a time Pentax would sell you a kit with a blank grip you could sculpt to whatever shape you want.
02-18-2019, 10:04 AM   #15423

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
here is my latest acquisition measured by the SMU

an " experienced " Kino Precision Japan Kiron 28mm f2.0 [ P/KA ] found in the Market Place

it will take a while for me to get my manual focusing skills down but the lens has a good reputation from what I can find out
In my opinion, it was better to photograph these cookies with Kiron, and put what was mounted on the body next to it. The effect would be much better.
I like this lens (Kiron), although some say that it is better to have a different clone of the Vivitar lens, which is a Komine ViVitar 2.8 / 2 close focus product.
It is quite possible that the next version of ViVitar, made in a different company, is its better incarnation. Did someone from colleagues have contact with this lens?

---------- Post added 02-18-19 at 07:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Yesterday I stopped by a second-hand shop on a whim and bought my first ever soviet gear and my first ever adaptall.

The soviet gear is a Zenit TTL with a Helios 44-M. The shutter doesn't close without help on 1/30s and I think it's slow on the other speeds too. The lens is just the model of Helios I've been looking for, with the A/M switch which allows it to be easily used when on an adapter on a k-mount camera. The only problem with it is that focus is a little stiff. Both the camera and lens look are in estetically mint condition and cost me €20.

The adaptall is a Tamron 80-210mm f/3.8-4 and unfortunately when I did a quick google on my phone I read the reviews for model 103A, then when I got home I realised this copy is the older and optically inferior 03A. Never mind, for €12 I can give it a try and sell it on, but I thought at that price it'd be good to have an adaptall K mount in case I find any other adaptalls in the future. I am collecting too many 80-210-ish old zooms though, which take up a lot of space and don't often get used.
Talking about the soviet gear Zenit TTL with a Helios 44-M, on the forum Pentax forum, sounds like praising the fight for clubs in the company of supporters of the Japanese sword Katana

Last edited by Mariusz_B; 02-18-2019 at 10:09 AM.
02-18-2019, 08:31 PM - 1 Like   #15424
Pentaxian

I do not have a desktop set up for my PP work (or my PF chatter...) so, after about 18 years of ONLY using the laptop mouse, I spent $10 and got myself a wireless mouse... getting used to it now, but so far, awesome.

02-19-2019, 04:16 AM   #15425

As you probably noticed, the tail from this mouse is unnecessary, and this is not the result of drinking beer !
I you buy bought a computer mouse A-4, try the screen capture tool and other available features.
And by the way, in my analog Pentax_F with longer exposure times, I used a long tube ( the mechanical tail.
However, starting from K-10 I use a radio remote control and I am not tied to the camera.
There is also a difference between k-10 and k-3. the other one will make a good photo in any conditions.
02-19-2019, 11:41 AM   #15426
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Yeah, they do seem worth the extra money, not that I had that much anyway, but in this case the need really is for a more pocket-sized camera with a finder I can use in the bright, rather than 'Best pseudo-rangefinder I can get' anyway, so if I think of this as much more capable than many pocket camera options rather than like a lesser x100, I don't feel deprived.

Also I did a bit of casual shooting last night at the pub: I think I'll pretty much get along with this little guy just fine. The OVF with the information overlay is really working for my eyesight issues.
it does work pretty well, truly pocket size i tried out a friends Sony Rx100 mk iv and it was surprisingly good though to fiddley small for my taste, I did seriously look at the panasonic lx 100 as well but a good one at the time was close to the x100t price and i love the fuji layout
02-19-2019, 12:58 PM - 1 Like   #15427
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

picked up three of the Domke 19 inch Protective Wraps to use as extra protection for my SMC DA * 300mm F4 ED (IF ) SDM, HD Pentax-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW and
HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5 - 5.6 ED DC AW

02-19-2019, 01:40 PM   #15428

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
The packages with my Samyang 85mm f/1.4 in Samsung NX mount finally arrived. Also in the box was a rubber lens hood (the flimsy plastic that comes with as standard remained in the box) and three 72mm Bower UV filters.
Bardzo jestem ciekaw porównania nowego szkła Samyang 85mm f/1.4 ze starym obiektywem SMC Takumar 85/1.8...
I am very curious to compare the new Samyang 85mm f / 1.4 glass with the old SMC Takumar 85 / 1.8 lens ...

Last edited by Mariusz_B; 02-19-2019 at 03:21 PM.
02-19-2019, 02:41 PM - 1 Like   #15429
Pentaxian

Awhile ago, I was fortunate to come across a Canon F-1 camera for sale in my area. It's a lovely camera, came with a Canon FD 50mm F 1.8 lens. The camera body is in very good condition with one exception. There are two dents in the roof pentaprism of the camera and a bit of a scrape on the top part of the body. I'm assuming it was dropped sometime in it's life. It does not seem to affect the functioning of the camera. The F-1 has a removable roof pentaprism, so if I so choose, I believe I could easily replace this part. But at this time, I'm thinking the dents give this old camera some added character.

The FD 50 'normal', F 1.8 lens is pristine, in like new condition. I suspect it came with camera, as the Canon box indicates F-1 with 50mm FD, F 1.8 lens and given it's excellent condition (no scratches, smooth operation, etc.) it is likely that it is the original lens.

The rest of the camera appears to be almost new , which leads me to wonder if it has had much more than a couple of rolls...if that...run through this camera. No scrapes on the bottom of the tripod mount screw receptacle that I can detect. The seller indicated that he was the second owner and in his case, he kept it for display only.

Decades ago when I worked for a publishing company, one of my jobs was to take some photographs for publications. I worked at the company starting in the late '60's to 1970, when I left for university.

Having this job ignited a life long interest in photography and as a result, although I never again worked in the publishing field, I did keep up with photography and photo equipment. Shortly after I left the company, Canon came out with the F-1 and it was their mainstay professional and advanced amateur camera for a number of years. In fact I feel that a case could be made for the F-1 that this model was a significant factor in Canon's entry into the professional ranks. Yes they had some good rangefinders prior to the F-1 entry, but the F-1 put Canon on the pro map and of course, the rest is history.

I enjoy this camera very much as I do my other film cameras...some I've purchased and some have been very much appreciated gifts. My F-1 , along with most of my other vintage film cameras still work and are a lot of fun to use.
02-19-2019, 03:48 PM - 2 Likes   #15430
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Awhile ago, I was fortunate to come across a Canon F-1 camera for sale in my area. It's a lovely camera, came with a Canon FD 50mm F 1.8 lens. The camera body is in very good condition with one exception. There are two dents in the roof pentaprism of the camera and a bit of a scrape on the top part of the body. I'm assuming it was dropped sometime in it's life. It does not seem to affect the functioning of the camera. The F-1 has a removable roof pentaprism, so if I so choose, I believe I could easily replace this part. But at this time, I'm thinking the dents give this old camera some added character.

The FD 50 'normal', F 1.8 lens is pristine, in like new condition. I suspect it came with camera, as the Canon box indicates F-1 with 50mm FD, F 1.8 lens and given it's excellent condition (no scratches, smooth operation, etc.) it is likely that it is the original lens.

The rest of the camera appears to be almost new , which leads me to wonder if it has had much more than a couple of rolls...if that...run through this camera. No scrapes on the bottom of the tripod mount screw receptacle that I can detect. The seller indicated that he was the second owner and in his case, he kept it for display only.

Decades ago when I worked for a publishing company, one of my jobs was to take some photographs for publications. I worked at the company starting in the late '60's to 1970, when I left for university.

Having this job ignited a life long interest in photography and as a result, although I never again worked in the publishing field, I did keep up with photography and photo equipment. Shortly after I left the company, Canon came out with the F-1 and it was their mainstay professional and advanced amateur camera for a number of years. In fact I feel that a case could be made for the F-1 that this model was a significant factor in Canon's entry into the professional ranks. Yes they had some good rangefinders prior to the F-1 entry, but the F-1 put Canon on the pro map and of course, the rest is history.

I enjoy this camera very much as I do my other film cameras...some I've purchased and some have been very much appreciated gifts. My F-1 , along with most of my other vintage film cameras still work and are a lot of fun to use.
it is amazing what a beating some old cameras would take. my first camera a zenit i i was hanging from rafters to get a shot down over the net as play came in for a goal. just as i took the shota it slipped from my hand fell about 30 feet bounced off the net and landed on the ice . big ding on top worked fine .. i had a kit for a while with 2 nikon f that had seen a tour of duty w a guy who went to the 100 day war among other places with them. i got a steal in part because they were well worn in part because he had become a junky ... i sold them myself for similar dumb reasons but they were flawless in operation even if they looked close to bargain

02-19-2019, 03:55 PM - 4 Likes   #15431
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
New in Box K-5 ii

It was better than "Back to the Future" when this camera arrived. A brand new K-5 ii perfectly cared for....no use--even the auxillary cables were there. Plus it takes pictures as good as I remembered this 16.3 sensor imaged. I loved my K-50, but because of the Black screen I avoided a K-50. The sensor is the same and honestly for most 8 x 10's this sensor will deliver as well as the newer K-Series models do. Plus it came with a brand new 18-55mm SMC DA lens--I bought it from Skymall (I had purchased stuff from their in-flight catalogue previously and believe they are reputable). Bought it as New 'old model' for $420 including shipping for the lens (on sale at B&H/Adorama for $184 alone) & the body.

I apologize to my fellow Pentaxians for rambling on but this was a great deal---and I usually never get that lucky....

I was skeptical about its condition (these cameras are several years old now), but it was like finding a 1965 Mustang with no miles--here are the pics I took (with my iPhone-had no other camera body at work today) after unpacking--GIDDY UP !!!

I'm going to have to take a new picture of my collection soon and slot it in.

One more note: There are still 2 left at that price on eBay...if you have an aging K-5 ii and love its sensor, here's the closest thing to the fountain of youth at 1/2 the price of a KP and/or used K-3 ii.....
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone SE  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone SE  Photo 
02-19-2019, 04:08 PM - 1 Like   #15432

The first Pentax came to me as damaged equipment, requiring the replacement of the battery socket of the light meter and sponges of suppressing mirror. Old sponges have changed in a sticky ointment, pieces of which have gone into the mechanism.
I was surprised by the difference in technical solutions measuring time and measuring light.
The German apparatuses known to me have acted on a completely different logic. There the time was set by changing the distance between the shutter tapes that were triggered simultaneously. The size of the resulting gap determined the exposure time.
Pentax opens the first curtain to release the second curtain after a set time.
In turn, the measurement of light in German cameras was carried out by changing the sensor resistance set in series with the voltage source, which made the system sensitive to battery voltage.
Pentax used the bridge circuit, insensitive to voltage changes, therefore better.
In addition, compared to Pentax Spotmatic, the German body had a smal brick dimension. In addition, the Takumar 55 / 1.8 lens so far exceeded the German equivalent, that my faith in the legendary German quality, was seriously undermined.
02-19-2019, 04:18 PM - 2 Likes   #15433
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
I do not have a desktop set up for my PP work (or my PF chatter...) so, after about 18 years of ONLY using the laptop mouse, I spent $10 and got myself a wireless mouse... getting used to it now, but so far, awesome.
Replaced almost all of my corded mice over a decade ago because the cables were a bloody nuisance - always getting caught in various things, or else the cables hindered where and how easily I could move the mouse itself because I generally use a laptop in fairly confined conditions where a corded one is often (again!) a bloody nuisance!

Mainly bought small cheap Logitech ones (M185s & M215s) that generally worked very well for me even though I have fairly large hands.

OTOH, I've kept a couple of corded ones in a drawer to use with older machines that won't pair with cordless ones at boot-up - don't get used much!

ATM though, just had to buy a replacement 8-port 1Gb switch after the old one seemed to often fail to connect to the router cable - but NOW found out that the main issue is the router itself because the 4x RJ45s on that seem to be very worn, and just a slight "wiggle" on the cables loses the connections to both that switch and the 3x LAN cables to 2 of the PCs and the wired LAN which connects to most of the rest of the house. Replacement TP-Link AC2600 "ac" router should be here on Thursday, and that will hopefully fix the connections reliability issues and (also hopefully!) generally improve the house WiFi.
02-19-2019, 06:58 PM - 1 Like   #15434
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Received today after a 19 day detour across rural Illinois (I have no idea) a NIB/NOS K hood for 1:2.8 120mm 1;3.5 135MM 1:4 150MM. The hood is still wrapped in plastic in the shopworn box. Turns out I already have one, but NIB is cool.

Where have these things been hiding since 1976?
02-19-2019, 10:05 PM - 1 Like   #15435
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
it is amazing what a beating some old cameras would take. my first camera a zenit i i was hanging from rafters to get a shot down over the net as play came in for a goal. just as i took the shota it slipped from my hand fell about 30 feet bounced off the net and landed on the ice . big ding on top worked fine .. i had a kit for a while with 2 nikon f that had seen a tour of duty w a guy who went to the 100 day war among other places with them. i got a steal in part because they were well worn in part because he had become a junky ... i sold them myself for similar dumb reasons but they were flawless in operation even if they looked close to bargain

Because old cameras were a product of mechanical engineers who understood things like impact. Modern cameras are designed by electronics guys who generally have no appreciation of the effect of impact and other environmental challenges. And the computerists who design the software do not get interest by anything except the coding, and the features they can add, even if the interface is really clunky.