Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2019, 10:19 AM - 5 Likes   #16696
Marketplace Reseller

Just picked up this Tokina AT-X 28-70 AF. Great lens for the price while I save up for the HD D FA 24-70.

07-29-2019, 03:38 PM - 2 Likes   #16697
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Rowland Quote

Following that I went to a Cash Converters which had a cheap Yongnuo 50mm lens on their web site, bought that, then went home and discovered it's faulty. Sounds like the gears are bust, so it'll have to go back tomorrow. Annoying, but not the end of the world.
And got the refund without much hassle once I'd convinced them it was faulty. MUCH easier than the last time I wanted a refund from one of their stores, but that time I bought the lens on a Saturday and went back on Sunday, when their staff was I suspect the B team.
07-30-2019, 12:43 AM - 1 Like   #16698
Pentaxian

2x 64Gb Lexar Professional x1000 memory cards, to 'replace' the 32Gb one I've filled. I'd have gone for another 32Gb if the 64Gb hadn't been on offer, and subsequently 70p less for 2x the storage.
The reason for buying 2 is that I'm getting one delivered to my workplace and one delivered to home - the courier botched the home delivery yesterday so I'll end up receiving it quicker having it sent to work via Amazon Prime delivery today, and can hope that they've had enough coffee to post a letter through the mailbox today for me...
07-30-2019, 03:13 AM   #16699
Veteran Member

And got the refund without much hassle once I'd convinced them it was faulty. MUCH easier than the last time I wanted a refund from one of their stores, but that time I bought the lens on a Saturday and went back on Sunday, when their staff was I suspect the B team.
I've become quite a fan of cash converters recently, I've picked up three lenses from there in the last nine months and on each occasion the lens has been quite a find. I think I've almost cleaned Adelaide out of Pentax lenses.......

07-30-2019, 02:37 PM - 1 Like   #16700
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
I've become quite a fan of cash converters recently, I've picked up three lenses from there in the last nine months and on each occasion the lens has been quite a find. I think I've almost cleaned Adelaide out of Pentax lenses.......
You have to be careful because in a lot of their stores the staff have no real knowledge of photography - you can get bargains, but a lot of their stuff is problematic and sometimes badly overpriced. Be especially wary of their mail order, I have something like a 30% return rate on stuff I've bought that way. Problems have included fungus, misaligned lens elements (a Cosina zoom that was incredibly blurry), and a lens that was incompatible with the body it came on.
07-31-2019, 02:22 AM   #16701
Pentaxian

You have to be careful because in a lot of their stores the staff have no real knowledge of photography - you can get bargains, but a lot of their stuff is problematic and sometimes badly overpriced. Be especially wary of their mail order, I have something like a 30% return rate on stuff I've bought that way. Problems have included fungus, misaligned lens elements (a Cosina zoom that was incredibly blurry), and a lens that was incompatible with the body it came on.
When I've returned stuff to CC it's been free, so no loss except my time. All my biggest photography bargains have come from CC.
07-31-2019, 02:43 AM - 1 Like   #16702
Pentaxian

A third-party D-Li109 battery with decent-enough reviews has been bought with next day delivery for tomorrow. It dawned on me that, should one run out, I've currently no back up. This way, I can have one charging while the other is being used for a typical day and utilise two for days where I plan on taking many-a-snap.

07-31-2019, 03:21 AM   #16703
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Benz3ne Quote
A third-party D-Li109 battery with decent-enough reviews has been bought with next day delivery for tomorrow. It dawned on me that, should one run out, I've currently no back up. This way, I can have one charging while the other is being used for a typical day and utilise two for days where I plan on taking many-a-snap.

I have two OEM chargers with fresh batteries on both at all times - beats having to scrounge for a battery with anything left in it....
07-31-2019, 12:44 PM - 7 Likes   #16704
Veteran Member

07-31-2019, 12:49 PM   #16705
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

lens, body, or both?
07-31-2019, 12:54 PM - 2 Likes   #16706
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
lens, body, or both?
Maybe it's the display stand.
07-31-2019, 01:28 PM - 2 Likes   #16707
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
lens, body, or both?
Both.

Lens from Russia.
Camera from Pakistan.
Grip from U.S
07-31-2019, 02:50 PM - 1 Like   #16708
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I decided to dabble a bit in solar power so I went to Harbor Freight today and got a Thunderbolt Magnum Solar Panel Kit. Everything but a battery and an inverter. Already have an inverter. Tested out fine. Amorphous silicon solar cells and it works good in sun and shade. They were even producing electricity when I unpacked them in the garage.

100 Watt Solar Panel Kit
07-31-2019, 03:01 PM   #16709
Veteran Member

Admittedly I've only bought when I can actually go into the store and test the lens, I take an older body with me and after giving the prospective purchase a good visual check I try it on the body. I've rejected two that wouldn't actually go on, and then if it looks off or won't move smoothly I won't purchase it.
08-01-2019, 02:57 AM - 1 Like   #16710
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
Admittedly I've only bought when I can actually go into the store and test the lens, I take an older body with me and after giving the prospective purchase a good visual check I try it on the body. I've rejected two that wouldn't actually go on, and then if it looks off or won't move smoothly I won't purchase it.
Same here. I have picked up a few really good lenses at Cash Converters - my Sigma EX DG 24-60mm (which was mis-labeled and mis-priced accordingly), Tokina 35-300mm KA mount zoom, couple of Pentax normal zooms at $20-30 each, a Sigma 28-90mm like Liney's. Also bits and pieces like filters and a couple of airtight boxes for my filter collection.

I have seen lenses that were totally different from the description, damaged and/or way overpriced, so careful testing is critical, as stated, Always worth a look when I walk or drive past.