Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2019, 05:15 PM - 2 Likes   #17191
Lens Hoarder
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote
I had a lapse of restraint from buying “weird” system gear and bought a Pentax Q kit off FB marketplace. Basically all new in the box. Original Q, standard lens, standard zoom, toy wide, toy Tele and leather Pentax never ready case with all the boxes. It is definitely much more useful than the Auto 110 super kit I had in the 1990s. Pentax gear is an addiction...:
Much more useful than the complete (the largest set ever offered) Auto110 kit with box and metal briefcase I bought earlier this year

09-20-2019, 05:53 PM   #17192
Pentaxian

a cheapy spartus full-vue…..had to re~glue the viewfinder mirror back in place....cleaned up decently and accepts 120 film....even though its a twin lens I will put it with my other 'snap shot' box cameras having a total of 11.....not a great collection but a neat one with some of them being quite useable!
09-21-2019, 09:01 AM   #17193
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Another good day in the car boot mines - an nice clean Olympus OM10 with 50/1.8 and the manual speed control gizmo for £20, and a Canon Digital Rebel XT (Eos 300D) with the usual 18-55 zoom for £25. The zoom is working well, waiting on the battery to charge before I know if the camera's OK. Also a card reader for £1.50, which I will be including with the Eos if it's OK - it's the last Canon with USB 1.1 and file transfer is painfully slow.

Later - Eos seems to be OK, which is very good news - now I just need a charger for it (the one I used is for a different battery but has the right contacts for this one, if the battery is held in place by rubber bands) and I can sell it.

Last edited by Marcus Rowland; 09-21-2019 at 10:29 AM.
09-21-2019, 11:39 AM - 11 Likes   #17194
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've been pretty fortunate in picking up some good photographic bargains over the years, many of which have been bids on eBay auctions ending during the working day (when fewer folks are bidding). And I just bagged another bargain this same way. It might, in fact, be my star buy of the year... a brand new in (slightly tatty) box / old stock Tamron SP AF 180mm f/3.5 Di LD (IF) 1:1 Macro (B01) in Sony A-mount, to use with my Hasselblad HV (or my A7 MkII + LA-EA4 adapter). The protective plastic is still on the focus distance window, the mount shows no signs of ever having been fitted to a camera, lens and hood in original plastic bags and stored in the supplied padded lens bag, no dust on anything, and all the documents are present. There's just a couple of tears and crumpled corners on the outer box, but enough - perhaps - to preclude sale as new retail stock.

This lens usually sells for GBP £700 - 800 (for the A-mount version) here in the UK, although Amazon had *one* for sale at £451 in February this year. The eBay listing I stumbled across was due to end early on a weekday afternoon with no reserve, so I set up a snipe bid with a cheeky limit of £200, never expecting to win it - but win it I did, for a paltry £181 (with shipping, £192 in total). I half expected the seller to cancel the sale - and in all honesty, I wouldn't have blamed them. But no, they shipped it same day and it arrived this afternoon. I'm beyond delighted

It's a lovely bit of glass and, though not exactly small, it's obviously more compact and lightweight than my Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 USM, which is the only other fast AF lens I own covering this focal length. I don't know yet whether I'll take to shooting at 180mm, but I'm looking forward to trying it out. For what I paid, if it ends up being a shelf queen, I should be able to move it on quite easily and either recoup my expenses or make a profit. But I have a good feeling that I'll like it

Last edited by BigMackCam; 09-21-2019 at 11:58 AM.
09-21-2019, 11:43 AM - 1 Like   #17195
amateur dirt farmer / mod
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I've been pretty fortunate in picking up some good photographic bargains over the years, many of which have been bids on eBay auctions ending during the working day (when fewer folks are bidding). And I just bagged another bargain this same way. It might, in fact, be my star buy of the year... a brand new in (slightly tatty) box / old stock Tamron SP 180mm f/3.5 Di LD (IF) 1:1 Macro (B02) in Sony A-mount, to use with my Hasselblad HV (or my A7 MkII + LA-EA4 adapter). The protective plastic is still on the focus distance window, the mount shows no signs of ever having been fitted to a camera, lens and hood in original plastic bags and stored in the supplied padded lens bag, no dust on anything, and all the documents are present. There's just a couple of tears and crumpled corners on the outer box, but enough - perhaps - to preclude sale as new retail stock.

This lens usually sells for GBP £700 - 800 (for the A-mount version) here in the UK, although Amazon had *one* for sale at £451 in February this year. The eBay listing I stumbled across was due to end early on a weekday afternoon with no reserve, so I set up a snipe bid with a cheeky limit of £200, never expecting to win it - but win it I did, for a paltry £181 (with shipping, £192 in total). I half expected the seller to cancel the sale - and in all honesty, I wouldn't have blamed them. But no, they shipped it same day and it arrived this afternoon. I'm beyond delighted

It's a lovely bit of glass and, though not exactly small, it's obviously more compact and lightweight than my Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 USM, which is the only other fast AF lens I own covering this focal length. I don't know yet whether I'll take to shooting at 180mm, but I'm looking forward to trying it out. For what I paid, if it ends up being a shelf queen, I should be able to move it on quite easily and either recoup my expenses or make a profit. But I have a good feeling that I'll like it
excellent!!!
09-21-2019, 01:26 PM - 2 Likes   #17196
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's enough of a bargain for a lens with an excellent reputation to go ahead and buy even if you need to scrounge a camera body to use it.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 09-21-2019 at 02:40 PM.
09-22-2019, 08:16 AM   #17197
Pentaxian

Due to rain I only hit one car boot sale today, got an AF Nikon 35-80 4-5.6 in good condition for £15, and a Helios x3 converter in M42 fitting and a Sirius 24-70mm macro with Pentax PK-A mount for £15 the two. Unfortunately the Sirius zoom has some fungus and mistiness I missed when I saw it in daylight, possibly fixable but not by me, so I'll be taking a loss on that one.
09-23-2019, 04:44 AM - 4 Likes   #17198
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Way behind on posting, so here goes a bundle ...

From my thrift store, a 7€ camera bag containing a wide color assortment of 36mm filters which will be fun to play about on the Leica gear ... plus a negative holder that crops down to "half frame" size (see curtails closed here and maybe I can adapt it later) ... a neat clamp ... and something that I have never seen before ... a "Stylophot" French spy camera that seems to work with case and papers. Too cool ... https://www.collection-appareils.fr/x/html/appareil-21-Secam_Stylophot.html

Some film, a Posso bloc-note holder (1€, it's new & from the thrift store) ... plus 52mm wide angle hood with a PK/M42 adapter that I got for 5€ both at a boot sale ... plus a new 39mm UV filter from Amazon with other odds & ends.

From the thrift store again, a 5€ Pentax set ... the ME Super is in poor shape, but the M50/1.7 & Cokin CPL filter are OK ...

And a bit of a plunge for 20€ at another boot sale ... a very nice 15 blade Pentacon 135/2.8 and a Praktica LB 2 with a like-new aus Jena (read Carl Zeiss) T 50/2.8. All was good until I got home and then the body jammed up on me ... oh well, maybe I will tinker with it later. C'est la vie ...

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 09-23-2019 at 08:23 AM.
09-23-2019, 08:34 AM - 3 Likes   #17199
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Way behind on posting, so here goes a bundle ...
And a bit of a plunge for 20€ at another boot sale ... a very nice 15 blade Pentacon 135/2.8 and a Praktica LB 2 with like-new aus Jena (read Carl Zeiss) T 50/2.8. All was good until I got home and then the body jammed up on me ... oh well, maybe I will tinker with it later. C'est la vie ...
Congrats - the Pentacon 135/2.8 usually gets a lot of bids when I have one for sale, as does the 50/2.8 - Prakticas are unfortunately very unreliable, I probably have six or eight faulty bodies at the moment, so no surprise it jammed.

Today's pawn shop bargain was two Tamron Adaptall lenses, both boxed and with caps and cases (but no mounts); a CW-28 28/2.8 BBAR and a CT-135 135/2.8 BBAR. They were £11.99 each but I talked it down to £20 for the two. They're looking very nice, and I might keep one or both for my own use if the results are good.
09-23-2019, 08:47 AM - 1 Like   #17200
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Took a gamble on a set of Asahi Pentax Extension Tubes on evilbay someone had up for auction, was the only bid at $18.90 + $8 shipping: Genuine Pentax K-mount extension tubes | eBay

Person says its in good condition, should be here by next week monday (probably sooner).
09-23-2019, 09:09 AM - 1 Like   #17201
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
I just won a Zeiss T* 50mm f 1.4 Planar lens for one-third of usual prices . . . but it is coming in with an unknown (to seller) Leitax mount conversion kit installed. I will either use the appropriate adapter to use the lens on the K-1 or install a K-mount Leitax conversion kit on it to replace the existing one. Most likely I will probably start out with an adapter when I figure out which Leitax kit is installed, and then perhaps later spend the big bucks to remove the existing Leitax kit and install a Pentax Leitax kit in its place for a permanent conversion if the adapter approach does not work well.

Does anyone recognize the mount that is on it now? Any ideas gratefully appreciated. Here is the eBay listing with photos:

Carl Zeiss T* 50mm f/1.4 Planar Lens w/ Leitax Adapter | eBay
That's a Canon EF mount ... I have an AF 24-85 in my hand and see little difference.

How to convert ... well, send it to me for a good "hacking" ... see below my custom Dremel-grind K-mount base attached via Super-Glue and one screw, for the moment ... plus it's been de-clicked as well, maybe for a bit of video later.

Seriously, I got this CZ T* 50/1.7 with good amount of fungus and a really messed up aperture linkage quite cheap a long time ago. I cleaned out the fungus and reduced a K-mount base's diameter by hand with my Dremel so that it would be flush and better fitted with the CZ body.

The "one screw and Super-Glue" bit was for initial testing ... all is OK but the CZ will now focus past infinity and it's not like I used it for a landscape lens. I need to finish it by tapping out for screw holes for a more sure hold. Actually, it's not bad at all right now, but I would not trust it in the long run.

PS - this is nice glass and I would love to get my mitts on a f/1.4. I need to go shoot this one a bit again soon ...

09-23-2019, 04:29 PM - 1 Like   #17202
Pentaxian

Spotamatic SP II.....all seems to in order, light meter and all except of course the light seals n bumper....even has some grommet ring fer the battery which I can use in a SP1000 I have....look forward to running some film through this puppy.....
09-24-2019, 03:57 AM   #17203
Pentaxian

Ordered but not yet in my hands as they were sent to my parents' house and will need to be shipped on to me: a Vivitar version of the Tokina 17mm f/3.5 for around half what the Tokina usually costs and a DAL 50/1.8 to replace (at least temporarily) the FA 50/1.7 that my daughter threw off a table along with my Z-1. The Vivitar beats my previous super-wide 19-35mm Cosina by 2mm and I'm really looking forward to trying it on film. I need to find time to get to a repair place for a quote on repairing the FA 50mm as the DA may be nice but I can't use it on most of my film cameras as it has no aperture ring.
09-24-2019, 04:15 PM - 5 Likes   #17204
Pentaxian

Today I became THAT guy.
You will all probably hate me a little bit from now on.
I bought a film camera bag to find a lens (two actually) that weren't announced... One of them being...

....drumroll...

A K 50 1.2.

Don't hate me too much, it has some fungus. Like 3 strains that go to the center. But it might nor affect shooting too much, and I should get it cleaned at some point. No caps either but I'm still pretty happy.

Another surprise was an SMC-M 100mm f2.8 that was the cleanest lens in the bag.

The rest:
Pentax LX with motor drive. Shutter sticks but meter works!
SMC-M 50 1.4. Cleaned up good, quite a bit of dust inside.
SMC-M 150mm f3.5. I'm disappointed that this has something that might be fungus but might be grease smear in the center. It looks like it would clean up good!
SMC K 24mm 2.8. Slow iris and haze. Probably separation so I might give it away.
SMC-M 200mm f4. Fungus on one siide.
and
SMC-M 50mm f4 macro. It seems like it has haze depending on how I look into it - so hard to tell since the elements are so small! but the images seem super sharp.

Plus some filters from the 80s. Not bad for a hundred...

The bag and all 4 lens cases that it came with were full of fungus and smelled bad. Hence the price...
09-24-2019, 04:36 PM   #17205
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
The bag and all 4 lens cases that it came with were full of fungus and smelled bad. Hence the price...
don't care.....oozing with envy!!! nice score!