Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2019, 08:59 AM   #17851
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Benz3ne Quote
So, as it happens, there's a couple of issues. Some definite detritus within the lens (not much of an issue for me, I've got some slightly dusty lenses which work fine) and, a little more concerning, what appears to be fungus growth around the edges of the rear element. Again, not a huge issue currently but has the definite potential of developing...

yeow...

definitely a candidate for a CLA..

11-20-2019, 09:13 AM - 2 Likes   #17852
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
yeow...

definitely a candidate for a CLA..
It was, to quote the seller's listing 'professionally cleaned'. I'm absolutely undecided on what to do, but have approached the seller anyway for clarification and their thoughts - the seller is also not of this parish, so to speak.
11-20-2019, 11:01 AM - 2 Likes   #17853
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It was, to quote the seller's listing 'professionally cleaned'. I'm absolutely undecided on what to do, but have approached the seller anyway for clarification and their thoughts - the seller is also not of this parish, so to speak.
If you want and opt to keep the lens:
See if you can find literature on dissasembling the lens and clean it yourself (I've resolved fungus w alcohol/Hydro-Peroxide mix on a few of my lenses). those old lenses should be simple enogh to dissasemble.

What would stop me now from attempting to clean a lens is if I have to unscrew those microscopic flat-head screws within the barrel = unless you're a pro, chances are at least one of those will not give way and you'll end up in frustration and possibly a stripped screw head.
11-21-2019, 01:34 AM - 1 Like   #17854
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
If you want and opt to keep the lens:
See if you can find literature on dissasembling the lens and clean it yourself (I've resolved fungus w alcohol/Hydro-Peroxide mix on a few of my lenses). those old lenses should be simple enogh to dissasemble.

What would stop me now from attempting to clean a lens is if I have to unscrew those microscopic flat-head screws within the barrel = unless you're a pro, chances are at least one of those will not give way and you'll end up in frustration and possibly a stripped screw head.
It looks as though it can be accessed from the rear - 3x flat-head screw to remove mount and unwind rear two elements from assembly. However, I don't have the tools to remove the rearmost element only so this is where the deliberation comes in. What I absolutely don't want to do is break it and be £50 down and lumped with a pretty paperweight.

The seller has offered to refund in full and for me to return the lens. My gut feeling is to return, squirrel away the money I paid and put it towards another lens; perhaps the same, perhaps not.

11-21-2019, 03:55 AM - 2 Likes   #17855
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

It looks as though it can be accessed from the rear - 3x flat-head screw to remove mount and unwind rear two elements from assembly. However, I don't have the tools to remove the rearmost element only so this is where the deliberation comes in. What I absolutely don't want to do is break it and be £50 down and lumped with a pretty paperweight.

The seller has offered to refund in full and for me to return the lens. My gut feeling is to return, squirrel away the money I paid and put it towards another lens; perhaps the same, perhaps not.

I would return for a refund - if I wasn't aware of the problem and it wasn't in the condition as listed, it goes back...

there are more Flek's out there...
11-21-2019, 08:00 AM - 2 Likes   #17856
Pentaxian

My gut feeling is to return
Gut is usually correct...
11-21-2019, 08:03 AM - 2 Likes   #17857
Pentaxian

I would return for a refund - if I wasn't aware of the problem and it wasn't in the condition as listed, it goes back...

there are more Flek's out there...
QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
Gut is usually correct...
It's back in the box ready to be posted back tomorrow. Thanks for the advice etc. chaps!

11-21-2019, 10:36 AM - 5 Likes   #17858
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Received my " experienced " SMC Pentax-FA 77mm F 1.8 Limited today

purchased from a forum member via the marketplace

original box and paperwork, lens plus a BW filter, pouch with gold lettering, original front and rear caps, made in Japan

photographed with the SMU for scale purposes
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
11-21-2019, 10:50 AM - 1 Like   #17859
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Return seems like a plan to me.
11-21-2019, 01:32 PM - 2 Likes   #17860
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Return seems like a plan to me.
Thanks Mr Rockies!

In other news things move fast, Flek being returned, Sigma Super Wide II on its way... PKA mount and all!
11-21-2019, 08:04 PM   #17861
Pentaxian

sekonic model LC-1.....super small cold shoe light meter although can be used handheld....nice leather field case....the needle seems to get hung up....not sure if I can repair it....looks very cool none the less.....great display item by itself or mounted on one of a few rangefinder display cameras....unless I get it working....also came with short folded instructions.....a stamp on: distributed by miura trading co ltd room 226 marunouchi bldg. tel20) 9481-5.....now that's an old phone number!

sekonic exposure meter L-8 with plug in-amplifier with leather case and instruction booklet......a bit bigger than the above LC-1 but certainly smaller than any Weston or GE typically seen....the 'amplifier' has its own separate pouch.....this one seems to be responsive to light although needs a zero adjustment....
11-21-2019, 08:13 PM   #17862
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks Mr Rockies!

In other news things move fast, Flek being returned, Sigma Super Wide II on its way... PKA mount and all!
MF or AF?
11-21-2019, 11:14 PM - 1 Like   #17863
Pentaxian

MF or AF?
MF. Just shy of £40 with caps and case. Will buy a perfect hood to suit too.

Have seen two go recently for £70+...
11-22-2019, 04:40 AM - 1 Like   #17864
Pentaxian

My latest acquisition got returned to sender by the autistic mail company systems. So instead of one week it will probably take three weeks or more for it to arrive..... Meanwhile purchased a Tamron 135mm F2.5 Adaptall-2 lens.
11-22-2019, 10:33 AM - 1 Like   #17865
Pentaxian

Received the USB cable for the Panasonic Lumix GF2 - and it turned out to be completely wrong, it's for a fujitsu - the same as my bridge camera. So I made a claim through eBay and they (ebay, not the seller) immediately gave me a refund and said to keep the cable - it's presumably cheaper than returning it. So I've just ordered another, at about twice the cost of the first one...

In happier news, today's Portobello Road bargain was a Zodel 35/2.8 in M42 mount with auto stopdown for a fiver. Seems to be in good condition and should be reasonably sellable, I think its the same as this one:

Zodel 35mm f/2.8-22 - M42 Lens Database