Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2019, 02:36 PM   #18001
Pentaxian

Today I picked up a package of plastic sheets with 4- 5" X 7" sleeves in each sheet, to fit photos in, for display. Not an unusual purchase, more to say that these photo sheets are not as easy to get anymore...in my burg.

12-02-2019, 02:58 PM - 1 Like   #18002
Banned

And.. also this 35mm baby some 2 months ago..

---------- Post added 02-12-19 at 11:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote
I won a Super Program, MEII winder and 35-105 SMC-A zoom on eBay for $37 plus $7.71 shipping and $2.68 PA tax. Photos looked OK. Seller said she couldnít test the camera, but everything was in good vintage used condition. Well, I gambled and lost on this one. The camera is locked up. The battery door on the winder is broken. Those two items I donít care about. Unfortunately, the 35-105 is loaded with spider-web fungus. Rats! and double rats. Other than the fungus, the 35-105 is in great condition. We shall see what the seller offers to do.

These people are quite common.. selling destroyed stuff, lemon lenses "in mint condition" and others..

Like when I bought FA*24/2 decade ago and it was quite nice just with body surface scratches. But when it arrived there also were some scratches on back element, which are visible in light source circle bokeh. At least the price was quite acceptable, so I kept the lens and it helped me a lot in K20D times with low-light stuff
12-02-2019, 03:10 PM - 4 Likes   #18003
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I bought a couple of hard drives for my home server. A pair of WD Easystore 12TB external drives.
I plan on "shucking" them to get the bare drives out for my existing dock. These were much cheaper than getting them as internal drives. ($179 for 12TB!)
I'll be replacing 4 4TB drives so I'll probably put a couple of those in the enclosures and see if I can get a few bucks for them.

I need so much storage because my home server backs up my personal/photo PC, my software engineering laptop, and the rest of my family's PCs. The majority of it is my photos but it all adds up. I'm hoping this will keep me going for a while now.
12-02-2019, 04:32 PM   #18004
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I bought a couple of hard drives for my home server. A pair of WD Easystore 12TB external drives.
I plan on "shucking" them to get the bare drives out for my existing dock. These were much cheaper than getting them as internal drives. ($179 for 12TB!)
I'll be replacing 4 4TB drives so I'll probably put a couple of those in the enclosures and see if I can get a few bucks for them.

I need so much storage because my home server backs up my personal/photo PC, my software engineering laptop, and the rest of my family's PCs. The majority of it is my photos but it all adds up. I'm hoping this will keep me going for a while now.
We are missing your fantastic landscapes!

12-02-2019, 05:09 PM   #18005
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote

12TB? huh.. copying that 12TB would take ages... video stuff?
12-02-2019, 06:58 PM - 3 Likes   #18006
Pentaxian

My K28 f3.5 is coming tomorrow!
12-02-2019, 09:15 PM - 1 Like   #18007
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoscape Quote
My K28 f3.5 is coming tomorrow!
I have one coming too! Hopefully it'll be here in a couple of weeks from Japan.
12-02-2019, 09:19 PM - 11 Likes   #18008
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

looks like I've got a KP in my immediate future

thanks to a random number generator and the November grand prize raffle

12-02-2019, 09:22 PM - 1 Like   #18009
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote

Well lucky you just rubbing it in.

But seriously, congratulations. Reminds me, I should go check and see who won. I know I didn't even come close though.
12-02-2019, 09:23 PM - 1 Like   #18010
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

Congratulations Allen, you deserve it

(Though, if it's too much to have yet another camera, I can send you an address for safe disposal of it )
12-02-2019, 09:38 PM - 2 Likes   #18011
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote
I won a Super Program, MEII winder and 35-105 SMC-A zoom on eBay for $37 plus $7.71 shipping and $2.68 PA tax. Photos looked OK. Seller said she couldnít test the camera, but everything was in good vintage used condition. Well, I gambled and lost on this one. The camera is locked up. The battery door on the winder is broken. Those two items I donít care about. Unfortunately, the 35-105 is loaded with spider-web fungus. Rats! and double rats. Other than the fungus, the 35-105 is in great condition. We shall see what the seller offers to do.
Update. Honest seller! He offered to refund the purchase if I returned it or let me keep the lot for half the original price less postage. After I replied he then issued a full amount refund and told me to keep it.

So, now I have a cosmetically and mechanically excellent 35-105 with fungus covered lenses and a non-functional Super Program and winder. Paper weights?
12-02-2019, 10:06 PM   #18012
Pentaxian

Congrats! I just saw the results!
12-02-2019, 10:41 PM - 1 Like   #18013
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by xmeda Quote
12TB? huh.. copying that 12TB would take ages... video stuff?
Some video, lots and lots of photos, plus a laptop for software work from me, my son is a musician who records a lot of audio and also does some photography with his PC, my wife has a laptop for her writing. But most of it is my photos. As a pro computer nerd, I take backup pretty seriously. All my income is tied to my data, at least to some degree.
It will take a while to move existing backups from the old array but under normal conditions, the data trickes in from various sources and not much is moving at any one time. It's archival/insurance.

---------- Post added 12-02-19 at 10:46 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
We are missing your fantastic landscapes!
Thanks Ivan. I have been posting some landscapes in the K-1 thread but less in the medium format thread than I used to. I have been shooting with the K-1 a bit more for practical reasons.

---------- Post added 12-02-19 at 10:49 PM ----------

Woo-hoo! Lucky you!
12-03-2019, 12:41 AM   #18014
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
I have one coming too! Hopefully it'll be here in a couple of weeks from Japan.
Nice! hope you will enjoy using it. It looks like a fantastic lens for landscape
12-03-2019, 05:03 AM - 1 Like   #18015
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
You're welcome, and good job on getting the deal while it's active. Congrats on the incoming lens

I forgot to mention that I own the HD DA35 Macro Limited too... It's a very nice lens, especially for close up work, but I've found I use the DA35 f/2.4 more. Like you, at some point I'll have to decide which to keep and which to sell...
I initially didn't like the 35/2.4 because my copy back or front (can't remember) focused on my K200D, which lacked the capacity to fine-tune focus on a per-lens basis. It works fine on my K-3 though and I've made some use of it especially in lower light where AF on the Limited can be problematic, but the 35/1.4 on my Fujifilm gear almost always gets the call in those conditions. An HD version of the Limited has recently come up for sale second hand close to me (which is very rare indeed) and I toyed with the idea of buying it and selling my SMC copy, but I don't want to risk losing the magic and that lens has been my favourite since I bought it and has produced so many favourite shots I couldn't cast it aside so easily.

The FA 35/2 may well see the 34/2.4 get sold as I don't think I could justify keeping them both.

When I bought mine it said there were only eight available, less mine brought it down to seven. Today it says five, so assuming that they haven't had a re-stock I'd guess that they sold very few despite it being probably the best deal on that lens since it was introduced, unless lots of people got in early and bought before I saw it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Benz3ne Quote
Excellent prices! Don't think I've seen either of those that cheap. Are you able to share the retailer's name with me? No obligation to do so, of course!

---------- Post added 12-02-19 at 07:51 AM ----------

My Sigma 'Perfect Hood' arrived today in a leisurely fashion, having paid for it on the 22nd November. Regardless, for £7 I can't really complain.
I'm afraid I will be keeping that under my hat for the moment. They don't seem to get much used gear, I think I just got lucky.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Thanks for your post ... I have a X-E2 now plus the X-E1. The X-E1 is loaned to a Fuji shooting friend that has a X-M1 as well. I told him that he could have the X-E1 if it was of interest, but I think that he's going to pass. We crossed each other in Poitiers the other day and he was shooting street from the hip withe the articulating screen of the X-M1 with the 27 attached.

I will put up some 7artisans 35/1.2 images on the Fuji thread. Not quite sure yet another this one ...

The Minolta gear was quite lucky ... the 35/1.8 will be a keeper, but the rest will be fonder for future swap meets ... I already have a better copy of the Tamon AD-2 90 macro.
The X-M1 and 27mm would make a great street photography setup - small, light, inconspicuous, great IQ.