Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2019, 07:07 AM   #18016
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I initially didn't like the 35/2.4 because my copy back or front (can't remember) focused on my K200D, which lacked the capacity to fine-tune focus on a per-lens basis. It works fine on my K-3 though and I've made some use of it especially in lower light where AF on the Limited can be problematic, but the 35/1.4 on my Fujifilm gear almost always gets the call in those conditions. An HD version of the Limited has recently come up for sale second hand close to me (which is very rare indeed) and I toyed with the idea of buying it and selling my SMC copy, but I don't want to risk losing the magic and that lens has been my favourite since I bought it and has produced so many favourite shots I couldn't cast it aside so easily.

The FA 35/2 may well see the 34/2.4 get sold as I don't think I could justify keeping them both.

When I bought mine it said there were only eight available, less mine brought it down to seven. Today it says five, so assuming that they haven't had a re-stock I'd guess that they sold very few despite it being probably the best deal on that lens since it was introduced, unless lots of people got in early and bought before I saw it.
The DA35/2.4 is one of my favourite lenses I don't know if I got a particularly good copy, or if it merely suits me (I suspect the latter). I use it more than my HD DA35/2.8 Limited, although that's also a fantastic lens in different ways. As for SMC vs HD, I don't honestly think you'd gain anything by switching; you're right to hang on to your SMC if it's a good one.

My HD FA35/2 just arrived a few moments ago, though I won't get a chance to test it until later - perhaps even tomorrow. If it turns out to be as good as I'm hoping, I'll have a tough choice on my hands regarding the DA35/2.4... Clearly there's no need to keep both, but just as you've grown attached to your SMC DA35/2.8 Limited, I have a similar attachment to the little DA35/2.4. Considering what I could realistically sell it for, I imagine I'll hang on to it

I just checked Amazon UK and they're showing six copies of the HD FA35/2 in stock with more on the way. The price is back up to £459. We did well to shave over £200 off that, I'd say

12-03-2019, 07:24 AM - 1 Like   #18017
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A few recent thrift store scores ... I usually do not buy anything digital, but the Pentax Optio M20 and the Olympus were 1€ each. No batteries, so a small gamble that paid off. Both work, except that the Olympus is really slooooow ... for everything.

For 3€ a Chinon 35F-A which works now with new batteries. All seems AOK and the flash is really, really fast to recharge and re-fire. Quite surprised and I like Chinon stuff even through it's not the most "high" quality that exists.

12-03-2019, 07:34 AM - 2 Likes   #18018
Pentaxian

A thrift store Nikon bundle ... both acquired on the same day. Good news for 7€ is a very nice FE with an execllent Nikkor E 28/2.8. Not so good news, there was no battery holder. But it will fire in B and M90 (1/90) and I have already ordered a holder to see if everything else works. Fingers crossed because I really like the FE's feature set.

Bad news, but it was cheap for 3€. A rear door broken F401 with a rear element hazed 35-70 that might clean up. The bigger bad news surprise was when I opened the battery compartment at home. Leaks everywhere and once cleaned up, the F401 will not react ... oh well, I take the good with the bad at my thrift store and in the long-run I am way ahead. Let's just say that I now have a Nikon strap for the FE plus a filter and extra lens cap.

12-03-2019, 09:00 AM   #18019
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
looks like I've got a KP in my immediate future

thanks to a random number generator and the November grand prize raffle
Congrats! That's pretty awesome.

12-03-2019, 09:37 AM   #18020
Veteran Member

I intended to buy a 16-85 lens, but after reading about the multitude of quality control issues, I gave up. So the last purchase was the DA 40mm Limited lens, the SMC version, a few months ago. The Soviet Lenses MIR and Helios are not counted Given the current evolution of the photo market it is difficult to estimate which lenses / cameras are for the future.
12-03-2019, 09:38 AM   #18021
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
looks like I've got a KP in my immediate future

thanks to a random number generator and the November grand prize raffle
Congrats!!

---------- Post added 12-03-19 at 08:40 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
A few recent thrift store scores ... I usually do not buy anything digital, but the Pentax Optio M20 and the Olympus were 1€ each. No batteries, so a small gamble that paid off. Both work, except that the Olympus is really slooooow ... for everything.

For 3€ a Chinon 35F-A which works now with new batteries. All seems AOK and the flash is really, really fast to recharge and re-fire. Quite surprised and I like Chinon stuff even through it's not the most "high" quality that exists.
I had an Olympus digital point and shoot and it put me off digital for a long time it was so slow.
12-03-2019, 10:19 AM - 1 Like   #18022
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Got all the deal package from Topaz. It's still kind of pricey, but I could not resist

12-03-2019, 12:06 PM   #18023
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I plan on "shucking" them to get the bare drives out for my existing dock. These were much cheaper than getting them as internal drives. ($179 for 12TB!)
That is a cool idea! It never would have occurred to me, but should be quite doable. I still have headroom on my system, but will keep this in mind when that runs out.

Steve
12-03-2019, 02:13 PM - 1 Like   #18024
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That is a cool idea! It never would have occurred to me, but should be quite doable. I still have headroom on my system, but will keep this in mind when that runs out.

Steve
Just be sure to research the particular drive you are getting for your intended use. Some of the drives made for enclosures have the screw holes in different spots or may need a power contact to be covered with tape to work properly in a standard PC. Since I use drive docks, the screw holes don't matter to me and it remains to be determined if I'll need to do the power pin mod (tape). It seems docks in general may not need it but I won't know for sure until I try.
12-03-2019, 02:59 PM   #18025
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Just be sure to research the particular drive you are getting for your intended use. Some of the drives made for enclosures have the screw holes in different spots or may need a power contact to be covered with tape to work properly in a standard PC. Since I use drive docks, the screw holes don't matter to me and it remains to be determined if I'll need to do the power pin mod (tape). It seems docks in general may not need it but I won't know for sure until I try.
Thanks for the additional hints.

Steve
12-03-2019, 04:56 PM - 4 Likes   #18026
Veteran Member

Retina Automatic III

Last edited by kevinWE; 12-03-2019 at 05:05 PM.
12-03-2019, 05:06 PM   #18027
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinWE Quote
Retina Automatic III
Kodak offered some very nice, compact, sturdy fixed-lens 35mm cameras in the Retina series. The Tessar, Xenar, etc. lenses were and are very good.
12-04-2019, 07:30 AM - 7 Likes   #18028
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Further to my previous post, my "Cyber Monday" HD FA35 f/2 arrived from Amazon UK yesterday. I only just got around to opening the package, checking it over and testing it, about an hour ago.

I knew the lens came with a hood, but was pleasantly surprised that a carrying bag is also included. Build quality is good and quite solid - it feels exactly like you'd expect; an FA35/2 with slightly different texture. The focusing ring feels nicer to me than my FA50/1.4 and an FA35/2 - smoother and better damped; but that could simply be due to this being a new lens. Certainly, the textured rubber focusing ring is much nicer in use. With AF, it was already quite accurate at zero fine adjustment on my K-3, but -2 seems to be spot-on... or maybe -1; I'm still testing to decide which. Optically, I pretty much knew what to expect, both good and not-so-good. The not-so-good includes busy-ish bokeh transitions when shot wide open, and fringing on high contrast edges at wide apertures. It's not likely to be an issue in most use cases, and is nothing that a good raw processor can't deal with. Contrast is better than I'd expected, even wide open.

Overall, it's a really nice lens - clearly an older design, and probably wouldn't satisfy those who want D FA*50/1.4-level performance across the frame at all apertures... but I think it'll work very well for me. I haven't had an opportunity to use it properly yet, but initial testing suggests it's a good copy. So... I'm very happy
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-FZ62  Photo 

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-04-2019 at 08:01 AM.
12-04-2019, 07:58 AM - 1 Like   #18029
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Further to my previous post, my "Cyber Monday" HD FA35 f/2 arrived from Amazon UK yesterday. I only just got around to opening the package, checking it over and testing it, about an hour ago.

I knew the lens came with a hood, but was pleasantly surprised that a carrying bag is also included. Build quality is good and quite solid - it feels exactly like you'd expect; an FA35/2 with slightly different texture. The focusing ring feels nicer to me than my FA50/1.4 and an FA35/2 - smoother and better damped; but that could simply be due to this being a new lens. Certainly, the textured rubber focusing ring is much nicer in use. With AF, it was already quite accurate at zero fine adjustment on my K-3, but -2 seems to be spot-on... or maybe -1; I'm still testing to decide which. Optically, I pretty much knew what to expect, both good and not-so-good. The not-so-good includes busy-ish bokeh transitions when shot wide open, and fringing on high contrast edges at wide apertures. It's not likely to be an issue in most use cases, and is nothing that a good raw processor can't deal with. Contrast is better than I'd expected, even wide open.

Overall, it's a really nice lens - clearly an older design, and probably wouldn't satisfy those who want D FA*50/1.4-level performance across the frame at all apertures... but I think it'll work very well for me. I haven't had an opportunity to use it properly yet, but initial testing suggests it's a good copy. So... I'm very happy
Very Nice Mike! I keep hemming and hawing about getting one but I rarely use my DA35 as it is. Post some images for us when you take her out!

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-04-2019 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Updated quoted post
12-04-2019, 09:31 AM - 4 Likes   #18030
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Auto 110 System

QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote
I had a Pentax 110 system twenty five years ago. It was ultra cool but not very useful, so I sold it. I’ve regretted dumping that little jewel ever since. Watching eBay and FB for years until today. Complete Auto 110 System 18, 24, 50, Winder, AF130p flash, hoods, caps filters, book in a nearly perfect original box and the tan leather camera bag. Everything except the original batteries. Picture is from the listing. I’ll post more when I get it next week.
Here is the 110 system as received. Everything works. No issues The only thing missing is the rubber cap for the flash connection. In the spring it will get a workout with Lomography 110 Film. PS - All photos of the 110 system were taken with my Pentax Q7 and 01 Normal lens
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo       
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo   
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 

Last edited by steamloco76; 12-04-2019 at 09:37 AM.