Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2020, 02:52 AM   #18556
Pentaxian
timb64's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Here, there and everywhere.(Although less so at present!)
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 7,422
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Congrats on your prize and what a nice prize it is ! That strap on your new Spotmatic looks like the original one that came with the camera. Very similar to my original strap on my '74 Pentax ES ll.
Thanks. Does anyone know if itís possible to tell from,say,the serial number,how old the camera is?

01-17-2020, 03:23 AM - 3 Likes   #18557
Pentaxian
D1N0's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: ---
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,999
Aqcuired with a voucher the auction site gave me for getting a crap lens from Portugal. So I just paid auction fee and shipping.





Cosina 19-35mm 1:3.5-4.5
01-17-2020, 06:54 AM - 4 Likes   #18558
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Floreat
Posts: 242
A surprise package. I saw an ad for a used Pentax camera in uncertain condition Multiple photos in the ad seeming to show the camera, but also a few accessories. One of the shots showed what looked like an Adaptall, another shot had 13A written on a lens barrel. So I bounced a few messages, the seller had very little idea what he had and asked my "What's the Tamron?", and I bought the lot in hope for $100 AUD plus $30 for postage.

What did I get?
1. A Tamron Adaptall 2 SP 24-48mm, a bit stiff on the zoom ring but clean lens that focuses perfectly - that is what I was after. No hood and a damaged front cap, but cleaned up nicely
1a. Tamron PKA adaptall mount - I am still cleaning this to see if it can work, it is stiff and the movement feels like there is some grit inside the stop-down lever mechanism
2. Pentax K-m body very clean and unmarked, battery cover is stiff. Equipped with a 18-55mm II lens that is also clean and just needed the grit to be dusted off. Inserted a SD card and some Duracells and it works fine, the lens focuses on auto.
3. Pentax Program A body in poor condition, with a really cheap plastic bodied Vivitar 35-70mm (I think the original is a Cosina). Lens works fine on the K-m body but it's cheap and uninspiring and is PK mount. The advance lever seems to have a broken return spring,
4. PL filter 77mm looks unused - makes me suspect there was a Tamron hood for the 24-48mm lens at some stage.
5. Pentax M 80-200mm lens with dented barrel so it does not zoom very well (it is a slider zoom) and the grip is loose on the rotating barrel. At the very least it works as a sharp 200mm. It works fine on my K-30 with green button exposure if I get the lens to a suitable focal length. Test shots seem sharp across the frame, so no major alignment problems with the lens elements.
6. Everything in a soft bag, strap broken but otherwise good and clean, with a cable release loose in the base of the bag
7. Two empty film canisters and one canister with a roll of Fujifim X-tra 400 that I am not going to try.

In review, the Tamron SP lens was worth the total price, the K-m is easy to sell (I already have one) as is the 77mm filter. I am unsure whether I will keep the 18-55mm lens, and the Program A is probably a parts exercise only.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
01-17-2020, 07:05 AM   #18559
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter
pepperberry farm's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: probably out in a field somewhere...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 18,144
QuoteOriginally posted by Gary H Perth Quote
A surprise package. I saw an ad for a used Pentax camera in uncertain condition Multiple photos in the ad seeming to show the camera, but also a few accessories. One of the shots showed what looked like an Adaptall, another shot had 13A written on a lens barrel. So I bounced a few messages, the seller had very little idea what he had and asked my "What's the Tamron?", and I bought the lot in hope for $100 AUD plus $30 for postage.

What did I get?
1. A Tamron Adaptall 2 SP 24-48mm, a bit stiff on the zoom ring but clean lens that focuses perfectly - that is what I was after. No hood and a damaged front cap, but cleaned up nicely
1a. Tamron PKA adaptall mount - I am still cleaning this to see if it can work, it is stiff and the movement feels like there is some grit inside the stop-down lever mechanism
2. Pentax K-m body very clean and unmarked, battery cover is stiff. Equipped with a 18-55mm II lens that is also clean and just needed the grit to be dusted off. Inserted a SD card and some Duracells and it works fine, the lens focuses on auto.
3. Pentax Program A body in poor condition, with a really cheap plastic bodied Vivitar 35-70mm (I think the original is a Cosina). Lens works fine on the K-m body but it's cheap and uninspiring and is PK mount. The advance lever seems to have a broken return spring,
4. PL filter 77mm looks unused - makes me suspect there was a Tamron hood for the 24-48mm lens at some stage.
5. Pentax M 80-200mm lens with dented barrel so it does not zoom very well (it is a slider zoom) and the grip is loose on the rotating barrel. At the very least it works as a sharp 200mm. It works fine on my K-30 with green button exposure if I get the lens to a suitable focal length. Test shots seem sharp across the frame, so no major alignment problems with the lens elements.
6. Everything in a soft bag, strap broken but otherwise good and clean, with a cable release loose in the base of the bag
7. Two empty film canisters and one canister with a roll of Fujifim X-tra 400 that I am not going to try.

In review, the Tamron SP lens was worth the total price, the K-m is easy to sell (I already have one) as is the 77mm filter. I am unsure whether I will keep the 18-55mm lens, and the Program A is probably a parts exercise only.
nice!!

as far as the 18-55, you could give it the Dartmoor Dave treatment.....

01-17-2020, 07:15 AM   #18560
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Floreat
Posts: 242
Dartmoor Dave Treatment

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
nice!!

as far as the 18-55, you could give it the Dartmoor Dave treatment.....
Which is/was?

I don't recall, sorry.

When I bought my K-m in about 2009, the kit lens was the awful Sigma DC 18-50mm f3.5-5.6
01-17-2020, 07:47 AM - 1 Like   #18561
Pentaxian
Jome's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 639
QuoteOriginally posted by Jome Quote
3 different auctions 'won' (LBA talking):

1. 2SFXn with 2 zooms and some stuff (about $24 shipping included)
2. A charger for my K-10, an m42 Tamron adaptall with some other stuff (about $48 shipping included)
3. Two DA zooms (about $90 shipping included)

Quite expensive but should arrive start of next week.
It is here !!

1st Package: Glass in bad state, will try to clean otherwise ... Spare material

Last edited by Jome; 03-13-2020 at 02:23 AM.
01-17-2020, 07:50 AM - 1 Like   #18562
Pentaxian
Jome's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 639
2nd Package: Very good state (really as new) the hood is in alu for 67mm tele.

Last edited by Jome; 03-13-2020 at 02:23 AM.
01-17-2020, 07:52 AM - 1 Like   #18563
Pentaxian
Jome's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 639
And finally, the 3rd package was the best surprise for the 2 DA zooms:


Last edited by Jome; 03-13-2020 at 02:23 AM.
01-17-2020, 07:59 AM   #18564
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter
pepperberry farm's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: probably out in a field somewhere...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 18,144
QuoteOriginally posted by Gary H Perth Quote
Which is/was?

I don't recall, sorry.

When I bought my K-m in about 2009, the kit lens was the awful Sigma DC 18-50mm f3.5-5.6
briefly, he sanded the front element to achieve the desired look...
01-17-2020, 08:01 AM - 1 Like   #18565
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Floreat
Posts: 242
QuoteOriginally posted by Jome Quote
And finally, the 3rd package was the best surprise for the 2 DA zooms:
That's a good catch. I have a 16-45 and this is a very under-rated lens. It is constant F4 max aperture, which was originally a bit slow. Newer DSLRs have very good sensitivity and ISO 1600 means you can stop this down to f8 at a reasonable shutter speed in poor light.

It was in the list of top 15 Pentax lenses that went thru the forum about two weeks ago.

it's light to carry as well, especially if you compare to the f2.8 models with similar range of focal length.
01-17-2020, 10:55 AM   #18566
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
luftfluss's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NJ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,824
QuoteOriginally posted by Gary H Perth Quote
1. A Tamron Adaptall 2 SP 24-48mm, a bit stiff on the zoom ring but clean lens that focuses perfectly - that is what I was after. No hood and a damaged front cap, but cleaned up nicely
If you decide to replace the front cap, be careful. The front element of the lens can easily make contact with some standard pinch style caps. I use one that looks like this and it just clears the front element:

01-17-2020, 03:14 PM - 2 Likes   #18567
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Pennsylvania
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 700
An eBay auction win for $144 total including shipping and tax. Asahi Pentax K with Auto-Takumar 35mm f/2.3 lens. The camera has shutter issues and needs a trip to Eric the Pentax Doctor.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
01-17-2020, 05:30 PM   #18568
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Canada_Rockies's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sparwood, BC, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,426
My first Pentax was similar, bought used in 1961, including a Takumar 55/2.2
01-18-2020, 01:29 AM - 1 Like   #18569
Pentaxian
D1N0's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: ---
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,999
QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote
An eBay auction win for $144 total including shipping and tax. Asahi Pentax K with Auto-Takumar 35mm f/2.3 lens. The camera has shutter issues and needs a trip to Eric the Pentax Doctor.
That Auto Takumar is high on the wish list for my tak collection. Great find!
01-18-2020, 02:17 AM   #18570
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Floreat
Posts: 242
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
If you decide to replace the front cap, be careful. The front element of the lens can easily make contact with some standard pinch style caps. I use one that looks like this and it just clears the front element:
Lens cap is not a problem, I have a soft plastic pushon cap that would not harm the glass even if it makes contact.

The internal grittiness seems to stop the zoom from functioning properly, but every time it sticks it is a different position.

The less said about Adaptall PKA adapters the better, I have five and I think that only two are reliable, this one may free up to become the third.

---------- Post added 01-18-20 at 02:23 AM ----------

The same day as I collected the bag of stuff, I dropped into a local camera shop and found a SMC DA 35mm Limited Macro in really good condition, selling with a 1-year shop-supported warranty. Irresistible.

Photographic evidence and examples coming soon
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
addicts, canon, chinon, collection, forum, fun, jp, length, lens, lenses, life, m305, mine, pentax, performer, portraits, post, ps, rikenon, salut, shot, six, smc, sound, stitch, store, takumar, tammy, tamron, thread, tripod
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
recent acquisition [pics + question] irishwhite Pentax Film SLR Discussion 19 03-09-2010 08:59 AM
DA 55-300mm F4-F5.8 - New acquisition! legacyb4 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 35 09-27-2009 03:13 PM
Body acquisition overachievement - what to sell? grainbelt Pentax Film SLR Discussion 10 02-16-2009 11:42 PM
Suggestions on flash acquisition Whatabirdie Pentax DSLR Discussion 1 06-23-2008 07:41 PM
Lens Acquisition KFrog Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 11 01-23-2007 08:18 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:12 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top