Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20314 Likes Search this Thread
01-24-2020, 09:35 AM - 2 Likes   #18631
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
I thought there were some rules/parameters that all SMUs must follow - one being containing chocolate/sweets?
since the rules are fluid and probably arbitrary, and also entirely dependent upon what you have in your cookie jar... the preferred SMU is a sweet, hopefully chocolate, edible of reasonable thinness, but also a widely-available unit, so that many (but not all) photographers would have the option to use the SMU...

QuoteQuote:
I once used a plum as an SMU and got an earful!

as you should...

01-24-2020, 09:53 AM - 1 Like   #18632
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
as you should...
Touché...
01-24-2020, 11:03 AM   #18633
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
thank you - and you're welcome

(:

technical point - those are not 'cookies', but Standard Measuring Units (SMU)

you can replace SMU's with the unit of your choice, but you must also provide an equivalency between your units and the SMU, so we can gauge the size of the lens being measured....
I was wondering what brand those cookies were. My wife and I are going to do our weekly grocery shopping today. I told her to write down Standard Measuring Units (SMU) cookies and to pick up a couple of bags of them. I'm guessing they should be in the Cookie/ Cracker aisle.
01-24-2020, 11:05 AM - 1 Like   #18634
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I was wondering what brand those cookies were. My wife and I are going to do our weekly grocery shopping today. I told her to write down Standard Measuring Units (SMU) cookies and to pick up a couple of bags of them. I'm guessing they should be in the Cookie/ Cracker aisle.
they are a generic clone of the Girl Scouts' world-famous thin mints - I find at the local grocers, but have also used true Thin Mints when they are available...

01-24-2020, 11:13 AM - 1 Like   #18635
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Ahh, my drug of choice...

Just opened the last box of Thin Mints that I had stashed away. Friend's daughter is selling and I ordered 2 boxes while my wife ordered another 2 or 3.
01-24-2020, 03:07 PM   #18636
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cprobertson1 Quote
I also picked up a 1930's AVO light mighter for £1.25.
I've been trying to sell one for ages, but although it works the glass is badly cracked and there have been no bidders. Did you get the little black perforated metal thing that's used over the sensor for extra-bright conditions?

Later - Just saw yours arrived damaged ;-(

Shame, because they're nice little gizmos if they work, but don't look like the designers gave much thought to repairs!

and later still - Just picked up a Pentax ISTD L2 body for £24.99 including postage, assuming it doesn't arrive smashed or dead in some way. Cash Converters so anything can happen...

Last edited by Marcus Rowland; 01-24-2020 at 03:24 PM.
01-24-2020, 03:20 PM - 1 Like   #18637
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I've found mine at the local walmart

01-24-2020, 03:23 PM - 2 Likes   #18638
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
I thought there were some rules/parameters that all SMUs must follow - one being containing chocolate/sweets?

I once used a plum as an SMU and got an earful!
there was quite a lot of discussion in this thread about the " SMU " [ which was started by Pepperberry Farm ]

search this thread for " SMU " if interested in the tale
01-25-2020, 02:10 AM - 5 Likes   #18639
Pentaxian

I've snapped up yet another 18-55mm WR in a truly hopelessly badly listed ebay auction. It was listed as a standard 18-55mm with photos so blurry that it was hard to make out if it was a lens or just a pile of melted SMUs, and the lens cap was left on which is always helpful. But I could just about make out that telltale red rubber ring at the back of the lens, so I put in the required starting bid of £17 and forgot about it.

It has arrived and it is indeed the WR version, in almost completely unused looking condition, and I'm sure I'll be able to think up some sort of a deranged way to have fun with it.
01-25-2020, 05:56 AM - 5 Likes   #18640
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
It has arrived and it is indeed the WR version, in almost completely unused looking condition, and I'm sure I'll be able to think up some sort of a deranged way to have fun with it.
If you remove all the glass except the front element and place it filter-thread down, they look pretty good with African violets.
01-25-2020, 06:12 AM - 1 Like   #18641
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

ever go to a charity dinner, one sponsored by a co-employee of your wife and you are sitting at that employee's table, and you decide to take part in the auction ?

and when the first item goes up for a bid, you make your first bid, the third total bid, and then the bidding ended ?

and you got the item, even though your intent was to just drive up the price

guess what happened last night
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 

Last edited by aslyfox; 01-25-2020 at 06:23 AM.
01-25-2020, 06:26 AM - 2 Likes   #18642
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
I've snapped up yet another 18-55mm WR in a truly hopelessly badly listed ebay auction. It was listed as a standard 18-55mm with photos so blurry that it was hard to make out if it was a lens or just a pile of melted SMUs, and the lens cap was left on which is always helpful. But I could just about make out that telltale red rubber ring at the back of the lens, so I put in the required starting bid of £17 and forgot about it.

here's a wild thought

perhaps you could try to use it for photography perhaps
01-25-2020, 06:37 AM - 1 Like   #18643
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gorgarath Quote
I'm half tempted to use these new Oreos we got as a reference in some lens pictures. Not sure what they are called, I haven't tried one yet, but they look like they took the filling from 2 megastuffed cookies and put them together. Would probably only need 4 cookies in that last picture, possibly 3...

We need some sort of a metric cookie scale for converting between cookies...
the true story behind the SMU

a member, who I won't name, but I will blame

let's call him " P "

[ as in Pepperberry ]

once posted, in this thread, a photo of two lenses separated by objects stacked on top of each other between the lenses

the next poster said that he wanted the objects in the middle as opposed to the lenses

the objects were a stack of what we now know as " Standard Measuring Unit - SMU "

discussion followed about said objects at the time and periodically continued from time to time

including such topics as alternative types of SMU, what exactly would be allowable for an alternate SMU, biscuit vs. cookie etc.

I, of course, had no part in any such discussion

Last edited by aslyfox; 01-25-2020 at 07:07 AM.
01-25-2020, 07:58 AM - 1 Like   #18644
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

... that was me - I did that...

(:
01-25-2020, 08:42 AM   #18645
Veteran Member

Like new Lightmeter at the local Goodwill. Not responsive so is there a battery hiding under the tiny screws in the back? Any information on this model?