Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20314 Likes Search this Thread
02-22-2020, 10:35 PM - 6 Likes   #18991
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DA* zoom bargain nabbed!

I first saw this lens on the shelf three months ago. Just another pawn shop in my overgrown cow town, and there it was. But the price wasn't right. The pawn shop wanted $350. So I resolved to wait and see. A month or so later, I dropped by with a camera body to test 'er out. The images looked great, and, surprisingly, the AF seemed to work perfectly. The asking price was around $300, but I could wait further. This was a type of lens I've rarely, if ever owned. Too big, too heavy, and too costly.

A after a snowy week of February, which for me featured an uncomfortable kidney stone "procedure," the wait was over. The mail brought a generous check from my mother-in-law, no joke. And my pail of pocket change cashed in over $100, so here goes. I walked in and told the clerk that she ought to give me a better price because it was my birthday. That's what she did, so my present to myself was a like new DA* 50-135 zoom lens, for $250.

02-23-2020, 12:13 AM - 2 Likes   #18992
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
nice! hopefully they will !!! have yet to see an electro for sale...…

have an F but the light meter sits at correct exposure so it's dead might be able to fix after removing the top plate I dunno.......and have the ES which seems to be in working order...it's so disappointing no metering in manual...but look forward to running a few rolls through it
The F just arrived and I am so happy! All seems functional and I can't wait to shoot some film! I was initially hesitate to purchase a Spotmatic because I already owned a K1000. Well this is my new favorite camera. It is a better build.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Pixel XL  Photo 
02-23-2020, 02:07 AM   #18993
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Free for diabetics. Not free for me, I pay a standard charge because I have a normal job.
Might I ask why you’d need insulin off-label? He, too, has a ‘normal’ job so that’s not the influence here.
02-23-2020, 08:39 AM   #18994
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by degral Quote
The F just arrived and I am so happy! All seems functional
QuoteOriginally posted by degral Quote
It is a better build
sweet!!! envy you!! ......it is a tight little machine! look forward to pics from it! happy shooting!

02-23-2020, 09:25 AM - 5 Likes   #18995
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
FA*80-200/2.8 with all the trimmings and working PZ. I’ve thought about adding this lens several times in the past but this one is just too good to let go by. From a member who has Excellent gear, so I’m sure it will be good. Plus, maybe I can skip arms at the gym after I use this for a long outing .

I know I’m supposed to buy new stuff to keep Pentax alive, but I can use this on my MZ-S and I sold my bought-new D FA*70-200/2.8, so I feel justified. I’ll spend for K-new. (Selling all my current APSc gear except the DA35/2.8 Macro Limited).
Quick and Dirty Beauty Shots. Our Thin Mints went to the Service Member donation box this year. I don't remember asking the Girl Scout to do that, but OK. This feels easier to handle than I remember the D FA* was.
Attached Images

Last edited by monochrome; 02-24-2020 at 05:59 AM.
02-23-2020, 10:01 AM   #18996
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Went to two car boot fairs - zilch at the first, but at the second I got a Canon FDn 50/2 for £15 - teeny bit of fungus on the edge of the front element otherwise very good, an Instamatic 100 (the first 126 camera) with case and wrist strap in unusually good condition for £3.50, and a Kodak Colorsnap 35 with hood for £3 - seems to work well, except that the film counter isn't moving, I'll have to try it with film to be sure.
02-23-2020, 12:23 PM - 1 Like   #18997
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Benz3ne Quote
Might I ask why you’d need insulin off-label? He, too, has a ‘normal’ job so that’s not the influence here.
What I meant is that a diabetic gets ANY medicine prescription free under NHS. But i am not a diabetic and I have a normal job , so I do not qualify for free medicine on some means test basis, so I need to pay the standard price for each issue of each prescription. Also, I have not hit a magic age that makes medicine free.

I would not use insulin off-label, nor obtain a motorcyclist supplied version of something called insulin.

02-23-2020, 12:36 PM   #18998
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Quick and Dirty Beauty Shots. Our Thin Mints went to the Service Member donation box this year. I don't remember asking the Girl Scout to do that, but OK. This feels easier to handle than I remember the D FA* was.

KP with DA2-~40 Limited.
I take this to mean you will not be buying a D FA 70-210/4.0 any time soon?

Steve
02-23-2020, 12:45 PM - 1 Like   #18999
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I recently got a Super-tak 200/4 along with its metal hood. Upon inspection, the filter thread had a small ding, just enough to impede a screw hood from performing.

So, my recent acquisition is an Asahi plastic clip-on hood which apparently was made for the K series as it is labeled SMC PENTAX 135/2.5 and 200/4 - it works beautifully!!!
02-23-2020, 02:19 PM - 1 Like   #19000
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I take this to mean you will not be buying a D FA 70-210/4.0 any time soon?

Steve
That is correct. But I was never in the market for the 70-210/4. I’m saving for other lenses. In most cases I like the old stuff better. The question is, now that I have the zoom, should I keep the FA*200/2.8 (it remains in my gear list for the time being)?

Last edited by monochrome; 02-23-2020 at 07:06 PM.
02-23-2020, 04:43 PM - 1 Like   #19001
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
nice lens! have the exact....ferget what I paid prolly too much.....and it's intention is with film as well
I was scared when it arrived

when I saw the package on the deck, this caught my eye immediately

[ luckily the sender knew how to pack the lens wrapped in bubble wrap and extra paper jammed into the box to fill it ]
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
02-23-2020, 05:20 PM   #19002
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
dang! I would be too.....it's disappointing and frustrating receiving packages like that!
02-24-2020, 02:37 AM - 2 Likes   #19003
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico

KP with DA2-~40 Limited.
Never heard of a DA2-40 limited.

Looks more like an FA*80-200 on a K-1.
02-24-2020, 03:10 PM - 1 Like   #19004
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote

when I saw the package on the deck, this caught my eye immediately

[ luckily the sender knew how to pack the lens wrapped in bubble wrap and extra paper jammed into the box to fill it ]
I like to do a box inside a box with some packing in between as well as having enough material in the inner box to prevent motion inside the inner sanctum.
02-25-2020, 03:46 AM   #19005
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
What I meant is that a diabetic gets ANY medicine prescription free under NHS. But i am not a diabetic and I have a normal job , so I do not qualify for free medicine on some means test basis, so I need to pay the standard price for each issue of each prescription. Also, I have not hit a magic age that makes medicine free.

I would not use insulin off-label, nor obtain a motorcyclist supplied version of something called insulin.
I was under the impression that in the UK you can't actually get it except from prescription? I also thought that if it was prescribed then the NHS would pay for the prescription?

--EDIT--

I realised my confusion as soon as I posted!

NHS covers prescription costs in Scotland - I'm locally-biased! Sorry - had a brainfart!