Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20314 Likes Search this Thread
03-02-2020, 03:35 PM - 1 Like   #19051
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I received the Tamron SP 01F BBAR Flat Field 2X Telecovnverter today.

Advertised as :“Tamron-Sp Flat-Field 2x Tele-Converter O1F with Leather Case and Original Box. The box has minor damage. The leather case and lens are in excellent condition. Shipped with USPS First Class Package.”

Photos showed a very nice, clean looking unit, unfortunately neither the photos they took, nor their description mentioned the FUNGUS massively hazing the rear cemented element group. I am awaiting a reply from the eBay seller. The photos attached are mine

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPad Air  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPad Air  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPad Air  Photo 
03-02-2020, 04:12 PM   #19052
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hmm, from those pics that looks more like haze than fungus, but either way it's no bueno.

FWIW, I find the focus ring on my 65B to be "too fast" when I use a 2x TC - I can't make fine adjustments to focus easily because a slight touch of the focus ring creates a dramatic change in the focus area.

I don't have an 01F, but I do have the 140F, and the Pentax A 1.4x-L is noticeably better (though the fit is a bit tight on the 65B) and the Pentax A 1.4x-S is at least as good as the Tamron TC. The Pentax A 2x-S is also pretty good for a 2x TC. I find using the Pentax TC's easier than the Adaptall ones because I don't need to remove the PK adapter in order to attach the TC.
03-02-2020, 04:23 PM   #19053
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote
The photos attached are mine
that sure does look hazy....dang that stinks.....any chance its condensation not that it makes things any better......
03-02-2020, 04:34 PM   #19054
Pentaxian

don't why I am so excited about it reckon cause I have wanted one fer quite sometime....even though it came with corroded batteries, used some vinegar, it cleaned up well

AF280T !! it fires up and emits different strengths of light when moving the settings......it is also responsive to power changes when mounted on a cactus v6 (as is a af240t that I have)

reckon I will see the 'auto' settings when I give it run on the k-50....also looking forward to a few snaps with it on a PZ20, SF1 & ZX-L.....may hafta get a super program for the flash

03-02-2020, 04:46 PM - 1 Like   #19055
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Rowland Quote
If the end time of the auction was extended by e.g. 10 seconds every time someone bid sniping would be a LOT less popular!
Funny you should say that! I was on the development team for an online auction site for several years and we were set up so that any bid would extend the auction 10 minutes (yes, minutes). Sniping was basically impossible and all bidding wars were fierce and in real time. It was great for the seller.

Steve
03-02-2020, 05:59 PM   #19056
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
that sure does look hazy....dang that stinks.....any chance its condensation not that it makes things any better......
Nope, fungus from sitting unused and unopened for many years. The seller stepped up and refunded my entire purchase including the $9.98 postage. I’ve done the same too. Now, I will try and dissolve the cement holding that element group and see if cleaning is possible. If not, I have Tamron caps and a nice sized case for one of my Pentax Limited wide angle lenses.
03-02-2020, 07:11 PM   #19057
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Funny you should say that! I was on the development team for an online auction site for several years and we were set up so that any bid would extend the auction 10 minutes (yes, minutes). Sniping was basically impossible and all bidding wars were fierce and in real time. It was great for the seller.

Steve
Ten minutes feels too long - a few late bids could prolong an auction by an hour, and bidders might drop out early because they had other commitments. A shorter period, long enough to place another bid but no so long it just dragged on and on, would work better. Say 30 seconds?

03-02-2020, 09:30 PM   #19058
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Rowland Quote
Ten minutes feels too long - a few late bids could prolong an auction by an hour, and bidders might drop out early because they had other commitments. A shorter period, long enough to place another bid but no so long it just dragged on and on, would work better. Say 30 seconds?
Fair enough...we wanted to give folk enough time to use the bathroom between bids.

Steve
03-02-2020, 09:56 PM   #19059
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
be aware paying for professional help might cut into more important expenses

like camera gear
When you put it like that....I guess I'll continue to hunt! 👍
03-03-2020, 12:13 AM   #19060
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Hmm, from those pics that looks more like haze than fungus, but either way it's no bueno.

FWIW, I find the focus ring on my 65B to be "too fast" when I use a 2x TC - I can't make fine adjustments to focus easily because a slight touch of the focus ring creates a dramatic change in the focus area.

I don't have an 01F, but I do have the 140F, and the Pentax A 1.4x-L is noticeably better (though the fit is a bit tight on the 65B) and the Pentax A 1.4x-S is at least as good as the Tamron TC. The Pentax A 2x-S is also pretty good for a 2x TC. I find using the Pentax TC's easier than the Adaptall ones because I don't need to remove the PK adapter in order to attach the TC.
I owned a Pentax 1.4X S converter for many years and never had a lens with which it worked well. Could have been a bad copy. The 1.4X L would be nice to try, however the prices have gone through the roof, so I’ll stick with the Tamron 140F and test the replacement MC4 Pz too.
03-03-2020, 06:34 AM   #19061
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
I just set my bid at the maximum amount I am willing to pay for the item and don't worry if someone wants to pay more. Some I win and some I lose, but when I lose it is because someone is willing to pay more than I am willing to pay.
That was the attitude I took when I was buying. And a couple of times I got the product at the opening price which was lower than any had sold on eBay for quite a while. The most memorable was my Tak 20/4.5 - good condition, with hood and caps and pouches for the lens and the hood for USD200. (Going price, average, at the time was about USD260.
03-03-2020, 08:46 AM   #19062
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
That was the attitude I took when I was buying. And a couple of times I got the product at the opening price which was lower than any had sold on eBay for quite a while. The most memorable was my Tak 20/4.5 - good condition, with hood and caps and pouches for the lens and the hood for USD200. (Going price, average, at the time was about USD260.
It is the only bidding approach that makes sense to me. It works well whether you strongly desire an item or just would like to have it at the right price. You never bid (or pay) more than you are willing to pay, and anyone wanting the item must bid and pay more than you are willing to pay. In other methods of bidding, someone may outbid you because you have not bid as much as you might be willing to pay. If someone outbids you by a few cents, the approach is still working as you could have bid those same cents more. The only difficult part of this bidding approach is knowing how much you are willing to pay!
03-03-2020, 09:03 AM - 5 Likes   #19063
Pentaxian

OK, I am weak. Here it is:

Last edited by Jome; 07-22-2020 at 08:43 AM.
03-03-2020, 09:43 AM   #19064
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I see an eBay item I want I ask seller to tell me what they would consider an acceptable offer.
This avoids the possible insult of sending a lowball offer.

Often they will send me an offer for less - sometimes far less - than my maximum.

Chris
03-03-2020, 11:26 AM   #19065
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I always bid in the last 5 seconds. I decide on a price and put in a number, then wait until 5 seconds to go before confirming the bid. Mostly this keeps me from spending money. I might not be there, or the price skyrockets beyond my number, or I don't have time to change my mind. That's why I don't use a sniping service.