Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20314 Likes Search this Thread
03-08-2020, 08:55 AM   #19111
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
If you've never had a Subaru before, something subtle about them you must think about to notice, they have really good forward visibility.

If so that's good to hear. Not sure about the sides and rear, but from the looks of these I doubt it.
In the last decade it seems to be a trend that all makes including Subaru have less glass every year.
Someone here once said it's to reduce injury during a crash but IMO it also seems to be as much for "style".

The squinty little windows on todays' cars remind me of gun ports or portholes maybe.
Add to that massive bulges of (mostly) plastic, IMO cars today just look silly.
I am reminded of something from Buck Rogers, or maybe a flying taxi driven by Bruce Willis...

It seems I'm becoming as much an old curmudgeon for cars as I am for cameras.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 03-08-2020 at 09:04 AM.
03-08-2020, 09:17 AM   #19112
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
If so that's good to hear. Not sure about the sides and rear, but from the looks of these I doubt it.
In the last decade it seems to be a trend that all makes including Subaru have less glass every year.
Someone here once said it's to reduce injury during a crash but IMO it also seems to be as much for "style".

The squinty little windows on todays' cars remind me of gun ports or portholes maybe.
Add to that massive bulges of (mostly) plastic, IMO cars today just look silly.
I am reminded of something from Buck Rogers, or maybe a flying taxi driven by Bruce Willis...

It seems I'm becoming as much an old curmudgeon for cars as I am for cameras.

Chris
Subaru Foresters still have a great Greenhouse. but the new Outbacks have significantly reduced rear visibility and a lot more black cladding. Even Mercedes has added cladding and raised the height on the new C-series wagons. Of course Volvo has had the XC trim on wagons for years. Mini has raised and cladded their next Countryman model iteration.

All more useful for (imaginary) trips to the rustic weekend country property, don’t ‘cha know.
03-08-2020, 09:53 AM   #19113
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I bought a new car today, a 2020 Subaru Crosstrek Limited. My wife got a new job that will require driving around the state a bit so we had to get something newer, efficient, and safe. Seems like a good car for our needs. Cool tech in it for phone integration and safety.

One of my Sil's has a Suburu Crosstrek, She has had it for about 18 months or so. She likes it, the AWD is great, the station wagon green house is great for visibility and it can carry a good chunk of cargo. She, hasn't had any issues with it. Think you and your wife will like it.

We recently got a new vehicle. It's a 2020 Chevy Traverse AWD. So far I like it, plenty of space for cargo and passengers, towing package (5200 lbs rating) whish provides HD cooling system and transmission cooler, 3.6 DOHC V6 (310 hp) which will be our 2nd 3.6 engine. First was great, lots of power for passing, surprisingly good highway MPG for a 4500 lb. + vehicle, 9 speed transmission, etc.

Our first AWD vehicle. Both our kids have been telling us for years to get an AWD or 4 WD, given that where we live winter seems to take almost half the year. So far...we still have plenty of snow and ice to contend with and we're enjoying the AWD traction advantages of the Traverse. Also it has quite good ground clearance and I note that it has 255/65-18 P series truck tires, which surprised me, in a positive way.

We should of gone AWD a long time ago, I'm that impressed with traction at 4 wheels already.
03-08-2020, 03:19 PM   #19114
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Meant to hit three car boot sales today, but the weather turned from bright and sunny to pouring with rain in the half hour or so I was travelling to the first one on the tube, so I only got to two in the end. Drew a blank on the first one, at the second I got a bit luckier:

A working Weston Master II and a nice retro-looking Halina 35X for £8 - probably a little more than they're worth to me, but the seller was the guy who sold me my 100-500 Vivitar S1 zoom for my Nikon and I definitely want to encourage him to keep selling photographic stuff.
And a Lomography Diana Mini, an odd little 35mm camera that's switchable for 24mm square images or half frame, for £1 - that's very sellable, and will probably pay for all three.

03-08-2020, 05:24 PM - 3 Likes   #19115
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Scored on the 25% off accessories sale at KEH. DBG-7 battery grip for my soon to be here KP $169-25% in EX condition =$126.75 and a Pentax DLi-190 $24.95- 25% = $18.71. Love it when the planets align with need it and on sale.
03-09-2020, 11:27 AM - 1 Like   #19116

my last acquisition:
two pack of Corona Beer.
there was a 33% rebate, due to the dificulty they have to sell them…

A lot of people are affraid of the covid-19 and don't by Corona beer… WTF ????

I'm waiting for a SMC Pentax-F Fish-Eye 1:3.5-4.5 17-28mm and a KAF SIGMA teleconverter 2X...
03-09-2020, 11:43 AM   #19117
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bentou Quote
I've heard about this here in NYC as well...

03-09-2020, 12:28 PM   #19118
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
If you've never had a Subaru before, something subtle about them you must think about to notice, they have really good forward visibility. Foresters are the best, but even M's little Impresa has excellent visibility from the driver's seat. Something about the size & shape of the window, the shape of the dashboard and the slope of the hood work especially well. The only vehicle we've owned that had forward visibility as good as the Forester was our Chrysler mini-van.
Thanks. I've had a Forester since 2005 and it's been a great car. I love the Subaru approach to vehicles.
The old Forester is still in good shape and will become my teenage son's daily driver.

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
One of my Sil's has a Suburu Crosstrek, She has had it for about 18 months or so. She likes it, the AWD is great, the station wagon green house is great for visibility and it can carry a good chunk of cargo. She, hasn't had any issues with it. Think you and your wife will like it.

We recently got a new vehicle. It's a 2020 Chevy Traverse AWD. So far I like it, plenty of space for cargo and passengers, towing package (5200 lbs rating) whish provides HD cooling system and transmission cooler, 3.6 DOHC V6 (310 hp) which will be our 2nd 3.6 engine. First was great, lots of power for passing, surprisingly good highway MPG for a 4500 lb. + vehicle, 9 speed transmission, etc.

Our first AWD vehicle. Both our kids have been telling us for years to get an AWD or 4 WD, given that where we live winter seems to take almost half the year. So far...we still have plenty of snow and ice to contend with and we're enjoying the AWD traction advantages of the Traverse. Also it has quite good ground clearance and I note that it has 255/65-18 P series truck tires, which surprised me, in a positive way.

We should of gone AWD a long time ago, I'm that impressed with traction at 4 wheels already.
Of the six cars I have ever owned, five have been AWD or 4WD. Living in the mountains and being an avid skier put me in situations that AWD is ideal for with pretty good frequency. I agree it's a superior approach, at least for the diving I do.
03-09-2020, 12:56 PM   #19119
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by bentou Quote
my last acquisition:
two pack of Corona Beer.
there was a 33% rebate, due to the dificulty they have to sell them…

Only a two pack?

At those savings I would get a case or three, and stock up.
03-09-2020, 01:01 PM   #19120
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Of the six cars I have ever owned, five have been AWD or 4WD. Living in the mountains and being an avid skier put me in situations that AWD is ideal for with pretty good frequency. I agree it's a superior approach, at least for the diving I do.
Only six cars?

I've lost count, I think.

Lessee . . . . . . .

Probably more than 25 (cars and trucks) since my first, a 1962 Impala wagon.

Oh, and a two motorcycles, a mini bike, two tractors, four riding lawn mowers, two chainsaws, a weedeater, and three trailers.

I may have missed a couple, after more than 49 years of owning and driving vehicles the memory gets muddy.
03-09-2020, 01:56 PM - 3 Likes   #19121
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Only six cars?

I've lost count, I think.

Lessee . . . . . . .

Probably more than 25 (cars and trucks) since my first, a 1962 Impala wagon.

Oh, and a two motorcycles, a mini bike, two tractors, four riding lawn mowers, two chainsaws, a weedeater, and three trailers.

I may have missed a couple, after more than 49 years of owning and driving vehicles the memory gets muddy.
I've only been a driver for about 32 years and have only bought cars as necessary, mostly for important stuff like skiing or road trips.
I was a diehard bike commuter until my office moved into my house and now I commute in my slippers. Neither generates much automotive wear and tear.
I also tend to hold on to a utilitarian item like a car for a long time. My 16 year old Forester is still pretty nice and only has 110k miles.

I've owned many more bikes and skis than cars.
03-09-2020, 01:56 PM - 5 Likes   #19122
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

New Lenses!

Howdy!

I recently became the proud owner of two J&J Interocular lenses. They may also come under private label, but I don't think so.

They were a little pricey, but they are superb. They render colors a bit cooler than I am accustomed to with my other lenses and they are incredibly sharp. Focusing with my K-3ii is faster than I have ever experienced.

You haven't heard of the J&J Interocular? Well you won't find them at B&H or Adorama. They are specialty lenses. Your best bet for sourcing these incredible lenses is your friendly, local eye surgeon.

Yeah, I've been messing with you. I am talking about new lenses in my eyes after the removal of cataracts. But the description of what they are doing for me is dead accurate. It seems that cataracts not only cloud the vision, they also create an amber cast to colors. So colors are now both brighter and cooler. In fact, I will have to go back and look at my processed images to see if they are overly cool, as I may have thought the originals were warmer than they really were. And for the first time in 25 years I do not have to wear glasses when taking pictures. I can hold my eye right up to the camera. I even tried out a manual-focus 100mm lens that previously I have used only with my macro work.

I will be interested to see if there is any significant difference in my images once I become accustomed to these new lenses.
03-09-2020, 02:06 PM   #19123
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
Howdy!

I recently became the proud owner of two J&J Interocular lenses. They may also come under private label, but I don't think so.

They were a little pricey, but they are superb. They render colors a bit cooler than I am accustomed to with my other lenses and they are incredibly sharp. Focusing with my K-3ii is faster than I have ever experienced.

You haven't heard of the J&J Interocular? Well you won't find them at B&H or Adorama. They are specialty lenses. Your best bet for sourcing these incredible lenses is your friendly, local eye surgeon.

Yeah, I've been messing with you. I am talking about new lenses in my eyes after the removal of cataracts. But the description of what they are doing for me is dead accurate. It seems that cataracts not only cloud the vision, they also create an amber cast to colors. So colors are now both brighter and cooler. In fact, I will have to go back and look at my processed images to see if they are overly cool, as I may have thought the originals were warmer than they really were. And for the first time in 25 years I do not have to wear glasses when taking pictures. I can hold my eye right up to the camera. I even tried out a manual-focus 100mm lens that previously I have used only with my macro work.

I will be interested to see if there is any significant difference in my images once I become accustomed to these new lenses.
Congratulations!
03-09-2020, 02:26 PM   #19124
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote

Congrats!!
03-09-2020, 03:01 PM - 2 Likes   #19125
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

I've only been a driver for about 32 years and have only bought cars as necessary, mostly for important stuff like skiing or road trips.
I was a diehard bike commuter until my office moved into my house and now I commute in my slippers. Neither generates much automotive wear and tear.
I also tend to hold on to a utilitarian item like a car for a long time. My 16 year old Forester is still pretty nice and only has 110k miles.

I've owned many more bikes and skis than cars.
That all makes sense. You are clearly an avid outdoorsman, and live in the perfect place for it.

I tend to hold onto vehicles (and most everything else) for a long time, usually until they no longer useful and ready for the scrap heap or trash bin. My first few cars got beat to death, as all I wanted to do was drive, and drive hard. As I matured I learned to take care of them, and as a result got the best return for my investment. One pickup, a 1975 Toyota, had more than a half million miles on it when I parked it. It still ran, but the rear differential was worn out and I didn't want to fiddle with it. Sold it a couple years ago for $200 to a guy who wanted the front disc brakes for an older Toyota pickup he is restoring and wanted the disc brakes to replace the drums.

Oh, and I have only owned one AWD vehicle, the Legacy wagon, and two 4WD vehicles, the 2001 Dodge Ram 3500 (Cummins diesel with 6 speed manual) and the 1995 Ford F150 (bought last year from the oldest grandson because I needed a rig with an automatic, didn't have one, and he was ready to be rid of it).

I have had a dozen or more bikes, still have a few, and had several sets of skis (all downhill), and still have all of them.

Oh, and I have a boat too. A 1979 Eliminator Jet boat, 460 Ford with a Berkeley water jet drive. Fast.