Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20312 Likes Search this Thread
03-24-2020, 02:10 PM   #19321
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Out first time, the smallest leg section slipped
I'll just have to hope that the new redesign to the twist locks works... thanks for the heads up.

03-24-2020, 02:19 PM   #19322
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
The thing is they are probably as good as tripods can get
I do hope so...

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
You can get products almost as good for a fraction of the price.
The Gitzo price was on a par, perhaps even slightly less than both RRS and ProMediaGear.
03-24-2020, 02:43 PM   #19323
Loyal Site Supporter

Got a Blackstone griddle last week. Best darn outdoor kitchen purchase I've made. I have a two-burner propane stovetop and Weber Performer Deluxe charcoal grill all under canopy but I see the Blackstone getting the most work. Sure saves on smoking up the house and while I don't know why the food simply tastes better on the outdoor griddle than in a frypan.
03-24-2020, 03:21 PM - 1 Like   #19324
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I got a new bike. Ordered it just before things got weird. Maybe not the best time to spend the money but it was already in progress when I realized that and I think it will help get me through these crazy times!
It's a Pivot Trail 429 built up with Shimano XT components. Can't wait until the dirt opens here!
Nice looking bike, disc brakes, and full suspension. Sweet!

But wait.

No fenders?

You'll wind up with a stripe right down the middle.

03-24-2020, 03:49 PM   #19325
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
but I did end up getting one on ebay from Roberts Camera/UsedPhotoPro for $21.34 ($23.21 with taxes) due to the fact that AA battery's are gonna be waaay cheaper in the long run
nice! that's a good average price too.....and will pay fer itself soon enough those damn cr5 batts are a pretty penny

QuoteOriginally posted by Jome Quote
Sadly the winders doesn't works.
I have to find batteries for the camera.
that stinks about the winder....check that batteries are in properly!! clean all the contacts.....recently got one and it worked right off but one of the 3 pins was stuck down but was able to reset it and the spring....apparently some debris held it up

I have simple LR44 (357) button batteries in most bodies I have including an ME......enjoy that great piece(s) of kit you got!! awesome haul
03-24-2020, 03:51 PM   #19326
Pentaxian

got a cheapy amazon basics monopod.....now fer a cheapy ball head to place on since I cannot remove the one on my bogen tripod (dammit!)
03-24-2020, 04:10 PM   #19327
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
got a cheapy amazon basics monopod.....now fer a cheapy ball head to place on since I cannot remove the one on my bogen tripod (dammit!)
WD 40 and heat might free it up.

03-24-2020, 04:12 PM - 1 Like   #19328
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
No fenders?

Chris
03-24-2020, 04:35 PM   #19329
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
WD 40 and heat might free it up.
thanks may try that
03-24-2020, 09:25 PM - 1 Like   #19330
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Nice looking bike, disc brakes, and full suspension. Sweet!

But wait.

No fenders?

Thanks! The bike it replaces also has these things. But this one has longer suspension travel, bigger wheels, and a much more modern drivetrain.Plus it's not all worn out like the old one.

I could add fenders but it's usually dry here once winter is done. Not really necessary and I have a bike for riding in town with fenders which is when it matters to me. I'm not too bothered if I get muddy on a mountain bike ride. Comes with the territory. PNW or UK mountain bikers often have fenders because it is so wet in those places.
03-24-2020, 09:32 PM - 1 Like   #19331

On Ebay l was looking for a vintage radio station decal to stick up in the man cave room. Got this for 3usd. Cool Domino's pizza coupons good in the Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti area. That's where Domino's started in the early 60s. And l'm a driver for them now.
Attached Images

03-25-2020, 12:47 AM   #19332
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
There seems to be not much love here for Gitzo Tripods on the forum, which is strange as this is one "Rock Solid Tripod".

I borrowed one from a colleague recently, I was impressed enough to buy my own. It just works, a joy to use, it does all that one could ask of a tripod and does it well.

All in all, a fine piece of engineering and when used in conjunction with my RRS Ball Head, provides a perfect tool for my needs.

I have a Gitzo that I bought in the mid eighties. It's heavy but solid as can be. One can even use it as a stool to sit on, in fact. I have bought several other lighter tripods in the passing years, but I keep going back to the old Gizo.
03-25-2020, 01:57 AM   #19333
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
I have a Gitzo that I bought in the mid eighties. It's heavy but solid as can be. One can even use it as a stool to sit on, in fact. I have bought several other lighter tripods in the passing years, but I keep going back to the old Gizo.
That’s good to hear, thanks for commenting.
03-25-2020, 03:45 AM - 1 Like   #19334
Pentaxian

I bought a couple of cheapie tripods and used them from the late '60's till the mid '80's. The last straw for me, for a cheap tripod was around 1985.

One weekend I rented a Pentax 6 X 7 with a 90 mm Leaf shutter F 2.8 lens. Heavy equipment.

I was taking some landscapes by the mighty Red River and left the camera on the tripod to take a hand held meter reading, and happened to look back at the camera and saw it flop downward and then the tripod started to topple. Fortunately I was close enough to grab it before it hit the forest floor.

That incident which nearly became an expensive accident caused me to have what Cartier-Bresson used to call a 'decisive moment' in photography, although in my case it had nothing to do with getting a great photograph. In this case it was when it occurred to me to get a good, strong, stable tripod. Enough already with trying to get by on the cheap.

That very next morning I went down to a local dealer and bought a black Leitz Tiltall tripod.

It's been a fantastic accessory. I've used it for medium format (Mamiya TLR), 35mm SLR/Rangefinder and my DSLR's. It supports everything well, including my XL Sigma 150-500 with camera body.

It's not light, but it's well designed, very strong and stable and has done the job without problem for 45 years. Back then it cost a bundle...$ 166 CAD if memory serves.

My opinion is that I got what I paid for.

Another tripod I bought around the same time is my small Leitz Tabletop tripod...copy...made my Minolta. Just the thing for taking wide angle pix, down low of things like European cathedrals, etc. Same deal, quality piece.
03-25-2020, 04:05 AM   #19335
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
that stinks about the winder....check that batteries are in properly!! clean all the contacts.....recently got one and it worked right off but one of the 3 pins was stuck down but was able to reset it and the spring....apparently some debris held it up

I have simple LR44 (357) button batteries in most bodies I have including an ME......enjoy that great piece(s) of kit you got!! awesome haul
Hi Aaron, thanks for the advice, in fact I thing that the previous owner let the batteries leak. I dismounted all of it, cleaned all the contacts (like I could), tested with my multi-meter and... It still doesn't work, no reaction from the motor or the red diode. Too bad but the rest of the bunch is quite usable.

I ordered a bunch of LR44 to test all my old stuff (K-1000, MX, ME; Super A, SFX-N, HP-11C,...).
Take care.
J.