Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20314 Likes Search this Thread
09-05-2020, 07:53 AM   #20476
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Today's car boot finds - a Canon EF 35-80 4-5.6 for £12, and a Holga 120GCFN (the one with the coloured flash) for £3
Portobello Road produced a Vivitar 2x converter for PK-A and PK-R (Ricoh) for £4 - there may be the usual problem with the autofocus thingy on Pentax since it has the Ricoh pin, so I shall have to test it on another camera with PK adapter.
And I sold two of the compact cameras I got earlier in the week to a trader in Portobello Road, which paid for everything I got in the car boot sale!

09-05-2020, 02:54 PM - 1 Like   #20477
Veteran Member

These tests looked very good to me.
Tripods are often overlooked as a simple and often essential item to improve image quality.
Bandit seems a bit to dislike being used as a model. Nice dog.
09-05-2020, 03:42 PM   #20478
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Bandit does not mind being photographed but at that particular place and time there were multiple distractions. Most of the pictures were not satisfactory due to a goofy expression on my face.

I have often bought the cheaper of two choices Thinking it’ll be good enough and usually regretted it later. I won’t enumerate them here but I’m pretty sure the aluminum model would have been perfectly fine because it’s the head that makes it easy for me to use but I went for the gusto. Besides I’m about to purge a lot of surplus gear and accessories. All I have to do is overcome the inertia and do it.
09-06-2020, 04:12 AM   #20479
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fluegel Quote
Tripods are often overlooked as a simple and often essential item to improve image quality..
So many old platitudes V-A-V tripods

The accessory we love to hate.

The device that will improve more images than any equipment we routinely use.

Tripods are never designed to be both strong enough and small enough.

09-06-2020, 05:37 AM   #20480
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
So many old platitudes V-A-V tripods

The accessory we love to hate.

The device that will improve more images than any equipment we routinely use.

With the Moman mini tripod being an exception to the rule? Granted, it’s a table-top tripod but it’s incredibly sturdy.
09-06-2020, 06:33 AM - 1 Like   #20481
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Benz3ne Quote
With the Moman mini tripod being an exception to the rule? Granted, it’s a table-top tripod but it’s incredibly sturdy.
After looking at many table-tops, I purchased one made by SLIK whose design I like better than the popular Moman. With three leg sections and three leg angles, the range of heights available is much wider than the Moman. The legs have lever locks which I much prefer over collar locks. I equipped it with a Leofoto low-profile head (33lb rating = overkill) so the lowest position would be as low as possible.
09-06-2020, 06:35 AM - 1 Like   #20482
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO;5072136.:
.. . Tripods are never designed to be both strong enough and small enough.
QuoteOriginally posted by Benz3ne Quote
and it can be strapped tight to other objects

admittedly not for everyone but very useful for those who can use it.

QuoteQuote:
Description:
Folded Length :165mm / 6.5inch
Weight: 261g / 9.2oz

Max Extended Length :110mm / 3.9inch
Max Load (Tripod) :80kg / 176lb

The legs have one locked position, and turning the single wheel lock can fan the legs all the way out for a flat tripod.

The locked position creates a 10" diameter between all the legs

When the legs go completely flat, the diameter between all the legs is 12"

please see this thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/14-general-talk/14-general-talk/22-penta...ml#post4206692

numerous photos showing multiple positions and lenses can be found there with more details
Read more at: moman mini tripod reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Moman Mini Tripod - Greatest $30 Purchase in Last 5 Years! - Page 4 - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by aslyfox; 09-06-2020 at 07:11 AM.
09-06-2020, 06:37 AM - 1 Like   #20483

I just bought a Soligor Wide-Auto 28mm 1:2.8 Pentax K-mount lens for 6 bucks. Looks like it's in great condition judging from the photos, and the seller says there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. So I figured it was worth a gamble at that price. Might do nicely on my K100D Super.

Newbie question: he doesn't have the caps for it, or a lens hood. Are there any cheap aftermarket ones that I could fit to this lens?

Last edited by Flubber; 09-06-2020 at 06:50 AM.
09-06-2020, 06:54 AM   #20484
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Flubber Quote
I just bought a Soligor Wide-Auto 28mm 1:2.8 Pentax K-mount lens for 6 bucks. Looks like it's in great condition judging from the photos, and the seller says there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. So I figured it was worth a gamble at that price. Might do nicely on my K100D Super.

Newbie question: he doesn't have the caps for it, or a lens hood. Are there any cheap aftermarket ones that I could fit to this lens?

eBay or Amazon for generic caps, both front and back....
09-06-2020, 07:02 AM - 1 Like   #20485

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
eBay or Amazon for generic caps, both front and back....
Thank you.
09-06-2020, 07:28 AM   #20486
Pentaxian

I have one of these in MD mount and it is actually very good optically. I would suggest a hood with a cap that fits on the hood. The front glass is very close to external light sources for a wide (not too wide on a crop sensor, although stray light on the front element may have an effect even if it's not visible in the viewfinder).

Mine has a Made-in-China ebay hood with cap, but the secondhand market could likely turn up a spare hood from any number of 62mm threaded wide angle lenses or zooms. You just need to be sure that the hood suits your angle of view.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/62mm-Wide-Angle-Screw-in-Lens-Hood-Lens-Cap-For-...cAAOSwXOBbkPOR

Last edited by Gary H Perth; 09-06-2020 at 07:33 AM.
09-06-2020, 09:30 AM   #20487
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

BEFORE GOING TO EBAY OR AMAZON, go to AdapterRings.com - Offical Site. The world's largest seller of Camera Adapter Rings.. They have a wide range of inexpensive caps, hoods, filters, lens-lens, lens reversed to camera, step up/down rings, etc. Some of their merchandise is fabricated by well-known companies. I personally like rubber lens hoods. They are inexpensive, there's no concern about getting a bright spot around the front edge because of chipping the finish off a metal hood, they don't get dented, and they provide a little bit of cushioning for the front of the lens (classic "oops" = you have the camera dangling via a strap around your neck in front of your chest so you can grab it quickly for a shot, then you lean forward as you sit down at a table to eat, the camera swings forward and . . . . .)
09-06-2020, 10:09 AM   #20488

BEFORE GOING TO EBAY OR AMAZON, go to AdapterRings.com - Offical Site. The world's largest seller of Camera Adapter Rings.. They have a wide range of inexpensive caps, hoods, filters, lens-lens, lens reversed to camera, step up/down rings, etc. Some of their merchandise is fabricated by well-known companies. I personally like rubber lens hoods. They are inexpensive, there's no concern about getting a bright spot around the front edge because of chipping the finish off a metal hood, they don't get dented, and they provide a little bit of cushioning for the front of the lens (classic "oops" = you have the camera dangling via a strap around your neck in front of your chest so you can grab it quickly for a shot, then you lean forward as you sit down at a table to eat, the camera swings forward and . . . . .)
Thank you. I just ordered from them. Very reasonable prices (shipping as well). Thanks for the recommendation. I ordered front and back caps, as well as a rubber lens hood.

Thanks to everyone else for their suggestions as well.
09-06-2020, 11:35 AM   #20489
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

You forgot, "...or cheap enough."

Steve
09-06-2020, 12:06 PM   #20490
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

I have a later version of that. It had a now gone rubber grip on the focus ring and a black aperture ring in M42 mount.