Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20312 Likes Search this Thread
09-09-2020, 12:34 PM - 6 Likes   #20521
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

=====
Brand New A*600f5.6 ED IF
Went on a spending spree last week. More to follow.
The oddest part of this particular purchase was that they shipped standard from Japan on Monday, and the lens arrived mid-afternoon on Tuesday!
Pentax K-1 mII Ltd Silver A20f2.8

Not sure what accessories were to come with it. It did come with the case and the lens hood (not shown clearly), but was this lens supposed to come with a set of filters? Mine did not.

09-09-2020, 12:44 PM - 1 Like   #20522

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Note that the recommendation is for a less expensive "genuine" adapter used and not just for a cheaper ring. There are fine points to the machining on the genuine that allow that adapter to be usable without mishap. Be sure the seller is able to verify that the adapter is genuine Asahi/Pentax brand. The original sales box or green packet are often provided as evidence. If a removal tool is provided, that is a sure indication that the adapter is brand-X.

Steve
Hi Steve

Here is a photo of the one I ordered. It says Pentax so I assume it is genuine. Can you confirm?
Attached Images

09-09-2020, 12:45 PM - 2 Likes   #20523
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Just... wow. What an amazing lens... and brand new? Good heavens, man - how many organs did you have to sell??
09-09-2020, 12:46 PM   #20524
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
Wait, you can reuse the retail canisters?
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I would sometimes not wind the film entirely back into the canister. You can easily feel when the leader releases from the winding spool and stop.... If you plan to reuse the canister ... in the dark you pull the film out slowly for loading into a developing tank, then snip it off leaving perhaps half an inch protruding from the canister .... Then you can tape the end of a bulk film roll to that piece to get it pulled into and started on the spool within the canister.
I never rewound right into the canister (I call them cartridges). There was a school of thought that the slot in the cartridge is more likely to let light in if it is not filled with the film thickness. But an opposing school of thought said that the film substrate acts like a light pipe that leads light into the cartridge and therefore it is better to wind it right in

I always transfered the film cartridge to and from its black plastic outer container as quickly as possible, and yet I have seen transparent containers (not Ilford or Kodak). Moreover there was a photo shop in London that took in film for delveloping; when they did they promptly took the cartridge out of its plastic container and put it up on a high shelf with the others waiting for development - about 3 inches under a flourescent light tube!

Anyway, I recall that of Ilford and Kodak cartridges, with one of them and not the other (I forget which) you could push off its lid (the knob end) with a fingernail and push it back again after reloading with bulk film. It seemed lightproof afterwards. But I bought some cartridges that were designed for reloading from bulk; they are plastic and the end kind of screwed on and off.

09-09-2020, 01:09 PM   #20525
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Flubber Quote
Hi Steve

Here is a photo of the one I ordered. It says Pentax so I assume it is genuine. Can you confirm?
That is the one! The green envelope in the background is a clue as is the non-chamfered end on one of the critical tangs. Brand-X are often labeled Pentax too and while telling them apart is not hard, it is not always easy given that some sellers will obscure the pertinent details.

Steve
09-09-2020, 01:29 PM - 2 Likes   #20526
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
how many organs did you have to sell??
About 1/2 to 2/3 as many as would normally be required, hence the presence of it in my house.
I'm still amazed by shipping. It said expected delivery on 17Sep, but it arrived on 01Sep! I was shocked.
09-09-2020, 01:35 PM - 1 Like   #20527
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

=====
The oddest part of this particular purchase was that they shipped standard from Japan on Monday, and the lens arrived mid-afternoon on Tuesday!
Pentax K-1 mII Ltd Silver A20f2.8

Not sure what accessories were to come with it. It did come with the case and the lens hood (not shown clearly), but was this lens supposed to come with a set of filters? Mine did not.
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

I am so envious.

09-09-2020, 01:39 PM - 2 Likes   #20528
Pentaxian

=====
I will say that the case did not arrive in as pristine condition, although no doubt it as pristine when it left the Japanese facility. The box had a deep divot along one edge, with a corresponding divot in the metal frame at the edge of the box. Make no mistake, if this lens was not in this box, it would have been severely damaged or destroyed by whatever fell on it.
09-09-2020, 09:47 PM   #20529

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That is the one! The green envelope in the background is a clue as is the non-chamfered end on one of the critical tangs. Brand-X are often labeled Pentax too and while telling them apart is not hard, it is not always easy given that some sellers will obscure the pertinent details.

Steve
Thanks, Steve! Looks like I'll be all set to go when all my things arrive, then.
09-10-2020, 04:59 AM - 2 Likes   #20530
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

JUST FYI::

The digital sensor for a new telescope in Chile has been tested for the first time.It is composed of 189 smaller sensors with a combined resolution of 3,200 megapixels. It can resolve an object the size of a golf ball from a distance of about 15 miles, or see a single candle from several thousand miles away. Coming soon a Pentax K-Pro? Not likely, The entire sensor is about two feet across and must be chilled to minus 150F to function at 100% efficiency. Maybe Linhof or Sinar will put one into a new, big view camera. Bellows-cameras were made that accepted plates even larger.

BTW: During the film era there were some 16X20 view cameras. The Polaroid studio was larger at 20X24. In the 19th century a camera was specially built to photograph railroad scenes. It took a single glass plate of approximately 5X6 feet (=60X72 inches).

Last edited by WPRESTO; 09-10-2020 at 06:03 AM.
09-10-2020, 05:56 AM   #20531
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
JUST FYI::

The digital sensor for a new telescope in Chili has been tested for the first time.
Is that chili con carne, or bean?
09-10-2020, 06:03 AM - 1 Like   #20532
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Is that chili con carne, or bean?
Correction made. Thanks. BTW: I was was in remedial spelling as well as remedial penmanship in grammar school, and remedial basic English my first semester at college, but I triumphed over them all and emerged unscathed, my true self.
09-10-2020, 06:17 AM - 1 Like   #20533
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That made me remember a novella by Heinrich von Kleist I had to read in school, "Das Erdbeben von Chili" (The Earthquake of Chile), which was weird to me because the country is named Chile in German as well, but in German as well as in English that change seems to have taken place relatively recently (100 years +- a few decades ago), and Chili seems to be closer related to the origins of the name: Chile - Wikipedia
09-10-2020, 08:46 AM - 2 Likes   #20534
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I got my £69 genuine Pentax K3 battery grip from SRS, its mint and so much better than the third party one
09-10-2020, 08:52 AM   #20535

Forgive me for asking, but what is SRS an abbreviation of? I've seen it mentioned a couple of times at this point. Is this a well-known shop of some kind?