Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20312 Likes Search this Thread
09-22-2020, 03:58 AM   #20581
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
I tried using one of those the other day..... the papers kept falling apart and I pierced my ear drum......
I thought you squeezed the ear lobe to access that area and find the hidden alien

[ MIB ]

09-22-2020, 04:01 AM   #20582
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
I love coffee, but am not much fond of what is available from local supermarkets . . . so I have just purchased and received 5 lbs of single-estate, high-grown Tanzania Teaberry coffee beans. These beans are unroasted, so I've been reading up on the home roasting process. I've already been grinding coffee, but using pre-roasted beans. I will try to turn the roasting process into a photo op! Well wishes are solicited!
from what I learned before I started to try, it is a very smelly and smoky process

that is where my experimentation ended

so if you can, try outside

or turn off your fire alarms

good luck
09-22-2020, 04:17 AM   #20583
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Benz3ne Quote
Good luck! I've heard popcorn machines are pretty useful for roasting coffee...
Thanks. I am going to start out with the "popping popcorn in a stovetop skillet" approach, which some of the on-line gurus claim is the best way to watch the beans and achieve even roasting.

---------- Post added 09-22-20 at 07:19 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
from what I learned before I started to try, it is a very smelly and smoky process

that is where my experimentation ended

so if you can, try outside

or turn off your fire alarms

good luck
Good tips. I am planning to open a kitchen window, turn on the exhaust fan above the cook stove, and adjust from there.
09-22-2020, 05:28 AM   #20584
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I love coffee and always have a goodly mugful at breakfast, commonly have a smaller mug after lunch , and sometimes a half mug after dinner. Locally I get Pete's Coffee (Major Dickinson's and Brazil Minas blends), Cafe Bustello espresso roast, and on line get 100% Kona directly from Hawaii (strong flavor but "mellow." It's near impossible to verbally communicate either flavor or smell accurately). I keep my eye open for Kona locally, but so far have only found "Kona blend." I bought some coffee from a street-side coffee-only merchant in Istanbul. That was really good, but not available unless I go back. At my age, what is the chance??

09-22-2020, 05:36 AM   #20585
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

there is a thread discussing coffee:

What your favorite coffee brand and coffee machine - Page 8 - PentaxForums.com
09-22-2020, 06:52 AM   #20586
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for mentioning the thread, which I read. I will try to make a contribution to that thread as my roasting, grinding, and brewing efforts move ahead.

---------- Post added 09-22-20 at 09:55 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I love coffee and always have a goodly mugful at breakfast, commonly have a smaller mug after lunch , and sometimes a half mug after dinner. Locally I get Pete's Coffee (Major Dickinson's and Brazil Minas blends), Cafe Bustello espresso roast, and on line get 100% Kona directly from Hawaii (strong flavor but "mellow." It's near impossible to verbally communicate either flavor or smell accurately). I keep my eye open for Kona locally, but so far have only found "Kona blend." I bought some coffee from a street-side coffee-only merchant in Istanbul. That was really good, but not available unless I go back. At my age, what is the chance??
Thanks for the comments. I will have to try the Bustillo, though Mexican coffee as a general rule does not offer splendid taste adventures. I am hoping for the best from my Kenya AA and Tanzanian peaberry.
09-22-2020, 07:32 AM   #20587
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richard0170 Quote
Also, whilst searching for a good K 100mm f4 Macro, this is an on-going obsession as they seem to be very rare,I have just snagged a D-FA WR 100mm f2.8 Macro new but opened box for "just" £250
That's a steal! I mostly see those, well-used mind you, going for more than I paid for mine new when it was on sale two years ago.

09-22-2020, 07:51 AM   #20588
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . . I am hoping for the best from my Kenya AA and Tanzanian peaberry.
I would love to know where you found those coffees, in roasted whole bean
09-22-2020, 08:13 AM - 1 Like   #20589
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
I tried using one of those the other day..... the papers kept falling apart and I pierced my ear drum......
You’re not supposed to stick anything smaller than your elbow into your ears.
09-22-2020, 08:14 AM   #20590
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would love to know where you found those coffees, in roasted whole bean
5 lbs of Fresh UnRoasted Tanzania Peaberry Green Coffee Beans | eBay

5 lbs Kenya AA Karundul Fresh Raw Green Coffee Beans Fresh Crop Grade #1 719915229771 | eBay

Or just go to eBay and search for: Kenya AA or Tanzania Peaberry or for any other specific coffee you may want. I will also be ordering some Ethiopian coffees after these.

Good luck!
09-22-2020, 10:03 AM   #20591
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by richard0170 Quote
A veritable flow of lenses recently - Kamlan 28mm f1.4 XF mount, led to another XF mount purchase - Meike 28mm f2.8. Very impressed with both lenses - though the Kamlan requires care due to tendency to flaring. Also, whilst searching for a good K 100mm f4 Macro, this is an on-going obsession as they seem to be very rare,I have just snagged a D-FA WR 100mm f2.8 Macro new but opened box for "just" £250.

---------- Post added 09-22-20 at 03:24 AM ----------

I have both K3 and KP. The K3 requires the battery grip for optimum handling experience in may case as without it my little finger dangles uncomfortably in mid air. The KP I find is OK without the grip due to the positioning of the shutter button on top of the camera, but the lack of body real estate makes the button positioning without a grip problematic for my fingers. So, I use both K3 and KP with a grip now. It may well be worth your while sourcing a used grip for the KP to enhance your user experience.
Between ISO 200 to 800, I do not see any difference in IQ between the 2 cameras, but once you get to 1600 and beyond the KP is significantly better. I also seem to produce nicer images when very slow shutter speeds are used in my experience.
I can’t use my KP without the battery grip! Too small. Plus the DLi-90 battery in the grip lasts so much longer than the wimpy little DLi-190.
09-23-2020, 04:40 PM   #20592
Veteran Member

My surgeon wanted me to get a stationary bike. A couple years ago. I just got a nice 6 speed bike (I have an in house trainer thing from years ago). I'm glad they were sold out of the carbon fiber one I would have gone for it. Like 2 ounces.
09-23-2020, 04:56 PM   #20593
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I migrated from pop corn maker to this maybe 6 or 7 years ago.... modified bread maker for agitation, digital heat gun, fan to suck stink and chaff away.... on a cleaners trolly to wheel and use out side.... good for up to 2lbs of beans at a time..... 1/4lb was a stretch for a pop corn maker.

Any way... when on the road I take a heat gun and a couple of metal bowls (collanders work well) .... a fan helps to cool the beans when done.... generally.... I roast to the beginning of the second crack and fan cool as quick as possible... about a dark roast in bean world talk.
That is clever, very clever. I have resisted the home roast temptation, though I have friends that have made it their normal practice. I figure that it is probably coffee snob enough that I buy whole bean and hand grind.

Steve
09-23-2020, 05:41 PM   #20594
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Coffee snobs

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That is clever, very clever. I have resisted the home roast temptation, though I have friends that have made it their normal practice. I figure that it is probably coffee snob enough that I buy whole bean and hand grind.

Steve
Steve: You make an excellent point. However, I decided that anybody foolish enough to acquire a 645z and $6,000 worth of medium format lenses just to take photos of flowers (myself), should not stop at grinding roasted beans but should do the roasting as well. So . . . I now have 5 lbs of Kenya AA and 5 lbs of Tanzanian peaberry beans neatly cannisterized on my breakfast table awaiting my first roasting experience tomorrow! So now the big decision--one crack or two?

Last edited by ivanvernon; 09-23-2020 at 05:43 PM. Reason: add an omitted word
09-23-2020, 05:44 PM   #20595
Pentaxian

So now the big decision--one crack or two?
Isn't one crack standard issue? Seriously, what does this mean? I've never even thought of roasting my own coffee beans until you guys brought it up.