Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20312 Likes Search this Thread
10-17-2020, 05:31 PM   #20746
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kevinWE Quote

Everything works as it should with the exception of the 4004s which arrived with a corroded battery compartment and the camera was D.O.A, but the lens was nearly perfect, so the deal worked out in the long run.
I've had three or four of those in job lots over the last couple of years - don't think any of them worked properly, so you aren't especially unlucky.

10-17-2020, 06:22 PM - 2 Likes   #20747
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Has a very antique look to them.
thanks! certainly do but man it's hard pulling out something viewable

QuoteOriginally posted by Benz3ne Quote
Excellent stuff Aaron. I’m sorely tempted to look for a film scanner myself.

On an aside I’ve seen the suggestion that you’d overexpose by approx 1 stop per decade the film is out of date!
thanks!! ......the temptation got me,, figured it cuts the film "developing" price in half.......

trying to find something on exposure with this film.....i may have not over exposed enough yet........still experimenting

Last edited by Aaron28; 10-17-2020 at 07:28 PM.
10-19-2020, 03:47 AM - 2 Likes   #20748
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
my Nexus 7 was waning and the deals over on Amazon for Prime day were too much for me to pass up - so I replaced my tablet:

10-19-2020, 08:56 AM - 1 Like   #20749
Pentaxian

Just got and installed 64Gb of RAM into my laptop from Amazon Prime Day along with a 6 outlet, 3 USB-A outlet adapter/expander thingy.

10-19-2020, 09:00 AM - 2 Likes   #20750
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

[ not photo related ]

picked up a little sticker today

" I've [ xxxxx ] "

stuck it on my cap so everyone could see

there was a line for the first day but it moved quickly
10-19-2020, 09:34 AM - 1 Like   #20751
Pentaxian

The once-famous Bejersey Zoom!

Initial impressions are positive. I like what I see in the viewfinder, colors are very nice. The hood is a metal one from Amazon, it seems to work nicely and the black actually works well. My greatest issue at 320mm is to keep my hands steady... more so than with the Tamron 70-300mm.
10-19-2020, 11:12 AM   #20752
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
The once-famous Bejersey Zoom!

Initial impressions are positive. I like what I see in the viewfinder, colors are very nice. The hood is a metal one from Amazon, it seems to work nicely and the black actually works well. My greatest issue at 320mm is to keep my hands steady... more so than with the Tamron 70-300mm.
And THAT long extension was why the front section of quite a few 80-320's (including mine) developed an unrepairable "wobble" - and thus why it was "junked" (actually in a pile of bits in a box)

10-19-2020, 11:45 AM   #20753
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
And THAT long extension was why the front section of quite a few 80-320's (including mine) developed an unrepairable "wobble" - and thus why it was "junked" (actually in a pile of bits in a box)
Lenses or cameras that extend are vulnerable. My daughter had a very new film-era camera with a zoom lens that extended from a protective base when the camera was switched on. She forgot to shut it off and was crossing a little foot bridge, paused to lean on the railing to look down into the water, the camera swung by its neck strap causing the end of the lens to strike the railing and the camera was instantly worthless, far more $ to repair than it originally cost.
10-19-2020, 11:54 AM - 2 Likes   #20754
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

A couple of photography-purchase-limiting spends this month and next... Four new Michelin CrossClimate+ 215/65V16 all-weather tyres for my 4x4 SUV, at a cost of GBP £373 all in, to be fitted this Saturday. Then, in November, the same vehicle goes in for its annual service which is prepaid on a plan, but since it's now six years old yet still under extended warranty, the timing belt must be replaced - at a whopping £430. So that's £803 in total... ouch I'm consoling myself with the thought that, as well as providing general transport, my little 4x4 takes me to and from photographic locations and is therefore part of my essential kit

Last edited by BigMackCam; 10-19-2020 at 01:01 PM.
10-19-2020, 12:12 PM   #20755
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That sounds like a pretty good deal on the CrossClimates.
10-19-2020, 12:14 PM   #20756
maw
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
A couple of photography-purchase-limiting spends this month and next...
The little joys of life, unfortunately, can not be replaced as quickly as a reflex or mirrorless, unless....
10-19-2020, 12:29 PM - 1 Like   #20757
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crossed-up Quote
That sounds like a pretty good deal on the CrossClimates.
Indeed, and from Kwik Fit of all places. Total price including wheel balancing, new valve stems and old tyre disposal should have been £430, but they're currently offering a deal on Michelin which amounted to a £56.70 discount on a set of four, bringing the total down to £373.30. Oh, and they throw in a free set of bluetooth ear buds into the bargain

It's still a chunk of money, but with the low mileage I'm doing these days I'll probably get another six years or more of driving out of them - and they'll be better in wet and icy weather than the Continental CrossContacts that came fitted with the car (at least, I hope they will ).

Last edited by BigMackCam; 10-19-2020 at 01:03 PM.
10-19-2020, 12:51 PM - 1 Like   #20758
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My last purchase has not arrived yet, a SMC A 2.8/20 is on the way from Japan
10-19-2020, 02:59 PM   #20759
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Lenses or cameras that extend are vulnerable. My daughter had a very new film-era camera with a zoom lens that extended from a protective base when the camera was switched on. She forgot to shut it off and was crossing a little foot bridge, paused to lean on the railing to look down into the water, the camera swung by its neck strap causing the end of the lens to strike the railing and the camera was instantly worthless, far more $ to repair than it originally cost.
That particular lens is "known" (although not when is that when the lens is fully extended then there is very little support provided by the non-extending section for the extending one.

Therefore even a very small amount of "looseness" in the support (almost all "plastic" of some sort) that is there in the inner end of the extending part is "magnified" by the "leverage effect" of the mass of that section.- this was a design fault that can only get worse as the lens is used

Last edited by jeallen01; 10-19-2020 at 03:10 PM.
10-20-2020, 05:56 AM - 2 Likes   #20760
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Occasionally I send some money to various charities. The response has been off the wall. In the US it seems that once you do this your name is sold all over the place. These large envelopes started appearing in my mailbox. So far I have accumulated all the Christmas cards we will need this year plus cards for various other occasions. More pens than I can count, two calculators and even negotiable checks. (I tear these up) Some send dimes or nickles. Lots of writing pads too. Calendars from hard cover pocket size to wall size. Dream catchers, a pair of gloves, a t-shirt and a reusable grocery bag!. All in an attempt to get me to send money to them. It's just insane.